Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » The Reverend's Antares refinement (Page 16)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18   
Author Topic: The Reverend's Antares refinement
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Start Menu > My Computer > View System Information

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
System-Windows XP home edition
Version 2002

Computer
AMD Duron processor
746MHz,512MB of RAM

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're kidding right? That's not a bad machine to be doing 2D graphics on, hell the original Antares schematics were probably done on my old 433 and I think that only had 128mb RAM!

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No joke. I did the graphics for my old website on a P133 with like 256 MB RAM.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kids today! Wouldn't know a slow computer if it landed on their heads! Sean, try using a tape loading Sinclair ZX-81 or the Atari ST, THOSE are slow by today's standards, while a 746 is just a few years behind the times.

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first computer was a Radio Shack TRS-80 color Computer with Extended 32K Basic memory. We had a cassette tape player hooked up to it to play games & programs , & an old "dial the number, listen for tone, & then slam it into the cups" type modem that ran at the then amazing speed of 300 baud.

Which makes me want to share something I wrote on my LJ 2 weeks ago:

In 1985, two horny teenagers made a woman using a Memotech MTX512 computer with attached FDX system, utilizing a massive 64 KB of memory & a crappy little Z80A microprocessor. Now, granted they had to tap into a military installation to get the extra processing power they needed to fuel their hoochie-birthing dreams, but military tech wasn't that far in advance of civilian tech at the time.

Right now, I'm writing this on a computer that in modern terms is positively ancient. It's 6 years old. It's got the maximum memory of 1.5 GB. Its processor speed is only 800MHz, although there are upgrades available to bring it to a top of 1.5 GHz. It's got a modern OS & a user interface leaps & bounds over that of the Memotech used so long ago.

And yet.

And yet.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that despite all this technological advancement, I am still unable to build & infuse life into a woman. If any OS could do it, you KNOW it would be OS X. (Maybe Linux, too, but I'm not versed so well in that one.) What I'm trying to say here is that there's a market out there, ripe for the plucking. Now, I'm not doubting Steve Jobs' visionary talents, but sometimes I think he needs a little nudge at times.

iSlut.

'S all I'm sayin', yo.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
...cassette tape player...

I remember having one of them on my old Amstrad, it squeaked and squealed for 10 minutes and then you got to play Dizzy, James pond, or How to be a complete bastard.

As for your PC specs, I started doing 2D and 3D stuff on an old 133 MHz pentium, with a whopping 144MB of RAM. Using Paint Shop Pro and some free 3D app I got off of a Computer Arts magazine.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Ok, now this is starting to turn into a Four Yorkshiremen sketch for the pacman generation! And since Sean is just a wee babby, probably doesn't even know who the four Yorkshiremen are. [Wink]
If such is the case, watch this, or if you prefer, this.

Anyway, how's that mesh coming?

Oh and Dizzy rocked, though I never could finish Spellbound Dizzy.

--------------------

Shik
Member # 343

Ha...Yorkshiremen.

In any event, I made the laddie an offer for a free copy of PSP 5.01 to get him started if he wishes. We'll see what happens when he returns.

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, he doesn't even need commercial software to get started. For 2D raster, there's GIMP (which I use), or Inkscape for 2D vector stuff. On the 3D side, there's Blender or Sketchup.
Shik
Member # 343

True.

--------------------

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How good is GIMP on PC's? I was considereing it for a while, but never got round to downloading it.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got no problems with it. And it's a lot easier to install now that they got rid of the separate GTK install requirement (just the one install file now).
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool. One shall investigate.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know my computer was that good. I thought that software like that would'nt work because Of the lack of space on the hard drive. Well, I know very little about computers, so I'll go with you guy's on this.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps