Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » The Reverend's Antares refinement (Page 15)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18   
Author Topic: The Reverend's Antares refinement
OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -  -
 -  -

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OverRon:
Been taking a little break from doing this, but got back into modelling mode today, so a few updates. I'm not sure about the nacelles, it was hard trying to envisage how all the shapes of the nacelle fitted together, but I think I've got a look that works. I've done a lot of guesswork with them, so not too sure how they fit in with the way you imagined them.

I've also done a small amount on the bridge module. You wouldn't believe it for such a simple shape, but it just wasn't behaving itself when modelling. I finally got it done though.

I'm just going to fill in the main basic shapes of the ship, before I get in and do the heavy detailing like I've done with the saucer and pylon.

-  -  -
 -  -  -

It may help if you have a look here.
If you look at the fore view you can see the basic shape of a refit nacelle is a rounded trapezoid shape intersecting with a cylinder with an arc scooped out. Though on the Antares the scoop is only on the inner face, with the outer face being slightly flattened. As you've done it the joints between the main section are too soft and sculpted and the central block should taper more towards the bottom. Other than that it's looking good.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I was trying to do most of the nacelle as a single low poly object, and then tinker with that to get the general shape, and mesh smooth the whole thing to take the hard edges off. You can see though, it makes it a little too soft and rounded. I've been chamfering various edges on it before mesh smoothing it to get the desired shape, but the result so far has been quite what I had in mind exactly. Plus I've just realise I've done the bottom of the nacelle wrong, so gonna have to redo that whole thing from scratch.

As for the scooped out bit, I was just gonna get the general shape of it finished before I started doing that detail work.

OverRon
Member # 2036

Okay, version 2 nacelles. I think I got them about right:

Middle left is new nacelle

-

Bottom right is new nacelle

-

Bottom is new nacelle

-

And a few perspective shots

-  -  -

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HUGE improvement.
The thing you need to remember and it's a trap allot of 3D artists fall into, is that these things are meant to be machines, not sculptures. So it's always best if you approach it with that in mind by making it more an assembly of shaped sections rather than a single sculpted block.

Oh and before you start doing the forward cut-ins, this rough diagram should give you a slightly better idea as to how the different components relate to each other.
 -

[ April 03, 2008, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice. If only I were that talented...

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Talent just means you've been at it longer than most. It's only a matter of practice.

--------------------

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You also need the money to get the software, a computer that isn't retarded, and the knowhow to actually work the program. I am totally clueless when it comes to the technical terms used in these types of threads. That is why I cant usually say much more than " Ooo pretty", or give an asthetic suggestion.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

There are plenty of free programs out there that can probably run on a P100 and still produce something of reasonable quality. As for know-how, I'm self taught, you pick it up as you go. Failing that, there's no shortage of tutorials if you're willing to put the effort in.

--------------------

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Having that encouragement, I might just learn. I've got summer comming up, so there'll be no shortage of time.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm starting to have really inappropriate thoughts about this ship... It's looking great.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sean, what's the specs on your computer? Processor speed, OS, RAM, all that. I might just be able to help you out a bit.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

God, i dont know. I 'll have to ask my father. THough when we originally got it, it ran windows 95. It was rebuilt once too. It has less than 1GB of memory as standard. It pretty much sucks ass.

--------------------

-George Carlin

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!]
I don't know whether I'm more shocked at the age of the computer, or the fact that you know nothing about it!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as it's not a 486 or powered by handcranks, hamsters, or waterwheels, I still might be able to help.

(Doesn't Windows have a system information thinger like Macs, except, y'know...not as easily found? I'd look it up on this shitbox, but I doubt it would help.)

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps