Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » The Reverend's Antares refinement (Page 14)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18   
Author Topic: The Reverend's Antares refinement
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have included the latest version of the Antares, and revised the text to comment on the recent revision.

http://www.trekships.org/antares.htm

What's the status of the Korolev, BTW?

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OverRon:
Well I managed to steal 1 gig of decent RAM out of my brothers PC so been working on this a little more. Felt a little burned out with doing the saucer so I did another part, the nacelle pylon thingie.

Anyways it's fully modelled, I hope, and trying out new larger textures (although can't really see them too well unless the light is just right). Not sure of the material properties as it's looking a little too metallic, so I may tinker with them to get them looking a little more like plastic.

And I just noticed Rev has gone and changed the pylons in those last two images, sods law eh? [Razz]

-  -  -
 -  -  -

And here's a test render vid showing the material. Too metallic?

-

Edit: Making them clickable thumbnails now

In my defence all I did to those Pylons was to make the cross-section a little more rounded and less square. Looking good though.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Okay, finally re-built the top of the saucer section, and have done a final texture image for it.

How are materials looking now? As I've plasti-fied them a lot.

-  -
 -  -

As a general guide, it'd probably be best to try and emulate the TMP Enterprise in terms of ther materials' texture & reflectivity rather than the pristine look of the old TOS ships.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Originally posted by Bernd:
I have included the latest version of the Antares, and revised the text to comment on the recent revision.

http://www.trekships.org/antares.htm

What's the status of the Korolev, BTW?

Nice one, though you've got the sheets labelled the wrong way round. [Wink]

As for the Korolev, funny you should mention that...

--------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops. I have switched the labels.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
In my defence all I did to those Pylons was to make the cross-section a little more rounded and less square. Looking good though.

Well I should be able to round them out ok. Is it round all the way round? Or just a chamfer like this?
code:
_______
\
\
|
|
/
_______/

Also, those marking on the back of the pylons, are they indented? Or bulging out? Are they on the front of the pylons as well? They remind me kinda of phaser strips, but they weren't on ships this early.

At the moment I'm trying to struggle with the shape of the main secondary hull. My attempts so far have been off the mark. Do you have any views of the secondary hull with all the other stuff out of the way?

OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
At the moment I'm trying to struggle with the shape of the main secondary hull. My attempts so far have been off the mark. Do you have any views of the secondary hull with all the other stuff out of the way?

Err nevermind about that, I remember you sent me some reference images of that area.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:

Well I should be able to round them out ok. Is it round all the way round? Or just a chamfer like this?
code:
_______
\
\
|
|
/
_______/

Also, those marking on the back of the pylons, are they indented? Or bulging out? Are they on the front of the pylons as well? They remind me kinda of phaser strips, but they weren't on ships this early.

That cross-section is about right, but you're the 3D artist so do whatever works best for you. As for the details on the aft face of the pylons, they're plasma flush vents, so they're indented.

--------------------

OverRon
Member # 2036

Just a quick question about some of the markings on the hull. Are some of these lights or hull markings?

-

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

A - Flashy strobe
B - Hull marking (for the impulse reactor access port)
C - Hull marking (transporter emitters)
D - *squints* hull marking
E - The same funky disco tale lights that the Enterprise has under the hanger bay
F - Hull marking (for the deuterium refuelling ports)

--------------------

OverRon
Member # 2036

A little update. I was having trouble trying to get the shape right on the rear bottom of the secondary hull, modelled several different objects but none turned out that good. Anyways my best attempt at it so far, although I may try and do something else with it later on.

-  -
 -  -

OverRon
Member # 2036

Another update. Finished off most of the engineering hull now. Even had time to put the deflector on too. This mesh is starting to shape up a bit now, but still got a ways to go. Going to try and finish off the main basic elements first, like the bridge, bridge module, impulse and warp nacelles, then I'll start filling in the details of some of the things I've just skipped over for now.

-  -  -
 -  -  -

OverRon
Member # 2036

And although this is no way even near to complete, I just had to see what it would look like in a better scene, with some basic fake radiosity and shadow casting lights.

-  -  -
 -  -  -

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Looks ok to me, though don't feel too beholden to the exact lines of the plans. 2D drawing has a slight element of guesswork when dealing with unusually curved objects so feel free to go with what looks best rather than necessarily what's the most faithful.

--------------------

OverRon
Member # 2036

Been taking a little break from doing this, but got back into modelling mode today, so a few updates. I'm not sure about the nacelles, it was hard trying to envisage how all the shapes of the nacelle fitted together, but I think I've got a look that works. I've done a lot of guesswork with them, so not too sure how they fit in with the way you imagined them.

I've also done a small amount on the bridge module. You wouldn't believe it for such a simple shape, but it just wasn't behaving itself when modelling. I finally got it done though.

I'm just going to fill in the main basic shapes of the ship, before I get in and do the heavy detailing like I've done with the saucer and pylon.

-  -  -
 -  -  -

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps