Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » $$REVENGE OF THE SITH$$ (Page 13)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   
Author Topic: $$REVENGE OF THE SITH$$
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OTOH, although all this happened long before Unca Einstein was born, we could expect some of his stuff to hold even in the SW universe. Han, Leia and the Three Stooges might have spent just a few days crossing the distance from Hoth to the asteroids to Bespin at high sublight, but it would have looked like months to an outsider such as Luke (who cheated by using hyperdive).

Now, the real question here is, are Hoth, the asteroids and Bespin all in the Anoat system? And if not, which ones aren't?

...Uh, that is, this is the real question somewhere else than on a threat titled "RotS"...

Timo Saloniemi

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Two sides of a triangle cannot add up to less than the third side.
It occurs to me that this isn't necessarily true if you're dealing with non-Euclidian space. Actually, since our space is Riemannian, not Euclidian, it may not even be true in our universe for certain circumstances. Either way, hyperdrive does make even this questionable. But then, it effectively adds up to what you said about Luke's X-Wing being faster, just with a caveat that this may be a property as much of the route taken as of the ships themselves.

So, uh, yeah, backup FTL drive. Or stars that are really really close together and relativistic travel. Though Boba Fett observed where the Falcon was headed at whatever speed, and he and Vader arrived at Bespin shortly before the Falcon. We could probably derrive some information from that.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Han first says "Lando", Leia thinks he's talking about a system, so she seems to be expecting Han to be looking for another star system. Are there any clues as to what Han was scanning for or looking at on the screen when he says "Lando"?

Han then goes on to say that Bespin is "pretty far, but I think we can make it."

I've never gotten the impression that he's talking about intrasystem travel, although, in space, "pretty far" is a higly relative term.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the shooting script
quote:

HAN: Then we've got to find a safe port somewhere around here. Got any
ideas?

LEIA: No. Where are we?

HAN: The Anoat system.

LEIA: Anoat system. There's not much there.

HAN: No. Well, wait. This is interesting. Lando.

He points to a computer mapscreen on the control panel.
Leia slips out of her chair and moves next to the handsome
pilot. Small light points representing several systems flash
by on the computer screen.

LEIA: Lando system?

HAN: Lando's not a system, he's a man. Lando Calrissian. He's a card
player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.

LEIA: Thanks.

HAN: Bespin. It's pretty far, but I think we can make it.

Aside: For years I thought Solo said "I know that system" instead of Anoat system.

This kinda implies they are in an astroid field in the Anoat System.

Hoth is a separate system:
quote:

VEERS: My lord, the fleet has moves out of light-speed. Com-Scan has
detected an energy field protecting an area around the sixth planet of
the Hoth system. The field is strong enough to deflect any
bombardment.

Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith continue the trend of having our characters hop around the galaxy in short order (despite Solo's boast about the Falcon being the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy).

Padme and Anakin quickly zoom from Tattooine to Geonosis to rescue Kenobi. Perhaps the Separatists planned to wait until the next holiday before feeding Kenobi to the lyger, er, nexu. Meanwhile Yoda had time to fly from Coruscant to Kamino, pick up the Clones and fly to Geonosis.

As already mentioned, Padme and Palpatine fly from Coruscant to the far reaches of Lava World in very short time.

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It occurs to me that we could interpret "point five past lightspeed" to be the Falcon's non-hyperdrive capability. If you're trying to avoid imperials, or in combat, that might be far more important than how fast your hyperdrive goes. Especially given that hyperdrives are freaking insanely fast anyway, meaning minor variation shouldn't matter that much.

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Except that "AotC" seems to suggest a hyperdrive orders of magnitude slower than previously thought. Behold an analysis that also gives an order-of-magnitude upgrade to the definition of "convoluted".

Perhaps this galaxy far, far away just happens to be a particularly small galaxy?

...Possibly because of the long, long ago thing. I mean, things have been expanding since then, according to prevailing theory, right? [Wink]

Timo Saloniemi

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, ignoring for a second the fact that galaxies themselves don't expand (much), just the universe they float around in, it'd have to be a really, really, REALLY small one if the Falcon could reach "the other side" of it in mere days in ESB according to Generic Imperial Officer #1138 with a non-bizarro hyperdrive.

Stop this discussion now.

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why - we're just getting pointless!

Which is, after all, the point!

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Timo
Member # 245

You can hurt yourself with a point. But whoever heard of somebody hurting himself with something dull?

Uh, hold back the anecdotes. Instead, tell me why I should take this exclamation of a GIO with a non-bizarro hyperbole at face value? I mean, wouldn't Sgt. Schultz inform good Col. Klink that the escapees "may be halfway across the Atlantic by now" two hours after they departed by foot?

Timo Saloniemi

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to recall reading somewhere that Leigh Brackett's original draft of TESB treated the planets much like an old movie serial or pulp SF, where all the planets are in the same system; Dagobah being Venus, Hoth being Mars, and Bespin being Jupiter (reachable only by going through the asteroid field). Were this the case, you could argue that Luke got where he was going fast because Hoth and Dagobah were in close proximity orbit-wise (both on the same side of the sun), but Bespin was waaaaay on the other side of the solar system, at its furthest from the other two.

Or, simpler, it's just a fairy tale.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they're IN the "Anoat system" - why would Leia answer "There's not much there..." she would rather say "There's not much here". That's besides the point, though... or is it!?! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's recalling the Anoat System from memory rather than speaking of it as her current location.

Han's reaction of "No. Well wait..." kind of suggests he sees something in the Anoat system itself, but the screen shows several nearby systems as well, according to the script snippet, so he could have just noticed one of those.

Here's a little something though, we don't really know how long Han and company were on the run from Vader between Hoth and the asteroid field since, as pointed out, they're different systems. Could've been a week for all we know. Everyone just happened to be at the same point in their laundry cycle when we picked up the action at Anoat.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Timo
Member # 245

Oh. I never considered that. [Embarrassed]

So, essentially, the Falcon could have gone smoothly to hyperspace immediately after leaving Hoth VI, only to be intercepted by the Empire in the Anoat system - and the initial blasts she took during that intercept would have knocked down Chewbacca's repairs, resulting in the infamous "Watch this - uh-oh..." moment.

Fine with me. The obvious question raised here: how does one intercept a hyperspeeding target? The EU solution of special Interdictor ships doesn't seem to be very practical, nor is it supported by the movies. There must be some way to prevent ships from jumping, though - why else was Grievous' flagship still hanging around after performing the major coup of capturing Chancellor Palpatine? Logically, that ship (or some other ship trusted with the prisoner) should have departed immediately, even if the rest of the Separatist fleet had a suicide mission of causing losses to the local Republic fleet.

Timo Saloniemi

Omega
Member # 91

Well, they looked to be pretty close to the planet, as I recall. And they were rather surrounded, too, which might cause line-of-sight problems.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention that the whole thing was planned from the beginning by Palpatine.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps