Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sternbach: Gettin' Jiggy Widdit (The Intrepid-class, that is). (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Sternbach: Gettin' Jiggy Widdit (The Intrepid-class, that is).
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
If I *had* the magazine, I'd scan it myself with my fully-functional scanner. But nooooo, I'm out here in the Canadian sticks where magazines don't arrive until weeks after the street date.

Mark

Have you check Chapters/Indiglo?

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if they will be doing this for every ship? It would be nice to see something on the Ambassador class, Excelsior class, Akira class, and the Sovereign class.

I would consider it semi-cannon until something on screen proves it wrong.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe, but I agree that this is probably Sternbach's way of getting as close to a Voyager Tech Manual as he can, since a real tech manual seems unrealistic.

And I doubt that any of it will be contradicted on screen, as Voyager ended about a year ago.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave: There's no such thing as Indiglo out here. And I was in the local Chapters yesterday - no dice. Trust me, we won't be seeing the next STM issue for a couple weeks.

Matrix: God, I hope so. Then Sternbach can clear up the Akira mess once and for all, and then disappoint us with the Ambassador mess, which Bernd and co. had essentially put to rest ages back.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Hauk's presumably named after this gentleman. And David meant Indigo, of which I know of at least one in Alberta (Southcentre in Calgary), so they're not an East-only thing.

[ April 09, 2002, 14:06: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right, right. Well, there isn't one out west where I live, so...

Mark

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's apparently one to be found at Signal Hill. So [Razz] .

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Bah! That's way down south, where no respectable Calgarian dare tread. So. [Razz] [Razz]

Mark

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I have in the city closest me is 3 Coles stores. The closest Chapters is about an hour away... Don't think there's any Indigo stores in the Atlantic provinces.

[ April 09, 2002, 16:44: Message edited by: Topher ]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is USS Hauck the fourth Intrepid? Or what? Or not? I'll most definitely add it to my list, but does he give some more insight on the ship?

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"A 15-day series of impulse tests, which verified the integrity of the vessel and systems operation at sublight velocities, culminated in Voyager accelereating to warp 1.03 with the U.S.S. Hauck flying formations for engineering support and emergency backup"

Seems like it was a pre-existing ship detailed to Starfleet engineering as support during the new ship's shakedown tests.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's not an Intrepid. It's a ship that flew alongside Voyager on her test flight, to provide engineering support. Nothing else about it was mentioned.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Engineering support. Hmm. I remember an old 'making of'-magazine back when Voyager started airing. And they did also provide some technical information. I think they mentioned Voyager was in fact the third vessel in service. If this doesn't contradict Sternbach's little report, we could say Hauck was the second ship. What's better for support than your own sister ship? They could compare data and check the information collected by Voyager directly instead of using records of other test flights. Just a suggestion... [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

CaptAlabin
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This could be a long shot. Could it be a Yeager Class ship or an Elkins-Type. These two ships are the closest type to the Intrepids and if you go with the registries, possibly older.
IP: Logged
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um.. Sternbachs report said that the first three were the Intrepid, Voyager and Bellerephon.

Stop imagining things... the Hauck was a non-Intrepid ship, class unknown.. get over it

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps