Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sternbach: Gettin' Jiggy Widdit (The Intrepid-class, that is). (Page 7)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Sternbach: Gettin' Jiggy Widdit (The Intrepid-class, that is).
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
Actually, I can arrange for a hardcopy version to be delivered to your hands.. just buy the magazine. I realize we skirt copyright laws just a little here, but reproducing an entire magazine that is still on the stands and disseminating it freely is getting a little extreme. I'm sorry if i started it by printing my breakdown (i thought the tech was the most important thing), but it really seems to me like you guys are taking this to extremes....

It shoudn't really be as much of a problem as you make it sound. Nobody's trying to sell it, or pass it off as their own work, or as anything besides what it is. We're not making money off it in any way... [Roll Eyes]

Besides, from what I'm hearing, a lot of folks here don't even have the opportunity to buy it where they live at all.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mim.. If you spent time and money publishing a magazine, you'd be pretty steamed if, instead of a dozen people buying it, only one bought it and scanned it for all his friends. I realize that it will be off the stands soon, and scans from it will be circulated ad nauseum on Trek-related webspace, but reproducing the ENTIRE article just for people to avoid having to slap their money down on the counter IS THE EXACT REASON we have copyright laws. I could understand scanning one or two of the photos and passing them around, and excerpting the text, as these dont give the same experience as actually buying the magazine, so its not removing sales from the market. But then again, I dont understand the exact reason we need to sit here and jerk off because Sternbach said 'SV-65' and, like, wow, we're all so excited that we need to spend seven pages analyzing his choice of letters and numbers in his technobabble...

So dont give me the stupid-ass fucking eye rolling smiley.

[ April 18, 2002, 22:09: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Roll Eyes]
CaptAlabin
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Captain Mike on his comma? Anyways, I was kind of hoping that the Pre-Intrepid Voyager was in the design process.
IP: Logged
Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now calm down everyone! [Wink]
I would personally love to buy the magazine, unfortunately I don't know where to get it here in Germany - Bernd (who else around here is from "this deck of the woods"?), do you?

(Oh and by the way, I am one of those few idiots that still buy each and every issue of the Fact Files - they're up to issue 219 here. [Roll Eyes] )

Oh and another thought about the SV-65, perhaps it's an inside joke: anyone care to check the name of the US aircraft carrier with the rego CVN-65...? [Wink]

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Austin...that's what I've been thinking [Smile] Wasn't the Enterprise CV-65 before it became nuclear powered?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Austin...that's what I've been thinking [Smile] Wasn't the Enterprise CV-65 before it became nuclear powered?

No; it was built as a nuclear powered vessel; the first aircraft carrier to have a nuclear reactor and the second ship ever, after the USS Long Beach.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't Enterprise be the second nuclear-powered surface ship as the Nautilus was the first and the Long Beach the second (with the Long Beach as the first nuclear-powered surface ship followed by Enterprise)?

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah.. yes, sorry. Forgot Nautilus. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is also wrong. The first nuclear powered surface ship is a Russian Ice Breaker. I don't know the name but she was the first and then the Long Beach and then the Enterprise. The first warships would be the Long Beach and the Enterprise.

The first Nuclear powered ship to be scrapped completely is the Long Beach as well. Her parts are sitting around as spares for the Enterprise sinc their tech is nearly the same.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Powers:
Now calm down everyone! [Wink]
I would personally love to buy the magazine, unfortunately I don't know where to get it here in Germany - Bernd (who else around here is from "this deck of the woods"?), do you?

There was a time when it was published here in Germany, too. But someone decided to stop printing the german version and the magazine disappeared after a few issues.

quote:

(Oh and by the way, I am one of those few idiots that still buy each and every issue of the Fact Files - they're up to issue 219 here. [Roll Eyes] )

Me, too. [Smile] (Does anyone know if they'll include Enterprise as well? Or is it just 'post-22nd-century literature'?)

[ April 19, 2002, 14:35: Message edited by: Cpt. Kyle Amasov ]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This page says the icebreaker Lenin, launched in either 1957 or 1959, was the first nuclear powered civilian ship: http://www.bellona.no/data/dump/0/00/84/8.html

The US launched a nuclear powered merchant ship, NS Savannah, in 1962.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And this page: http://www.hazegray.org/danfs/submar/ssn571.htm says that Nautilus was launched and commissioned in 1954 (on different days). So I would still be right if Masao's info is correct.

BTW: Long Beach and Enterprise were both commissioned in 1961 (on different days).

Oh, screw it. I just reread Matrix's post. Disregard what I just wrote. [Mad]

[ April 19, 2002, 21:34: Message edited by: Dat ]

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Does anyone know if they'll include Enterprise as well?
They will. http://www.gefabbri.co.uk/TheOfficialStarTrekFactFiles/
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
Does anyone know if they'll include Enterprise as well?
They will. http://www.gefabbri.co.uk/TheOfficialStarTrekFactFiles/
Uh!

But nice to see they'll include all the aliens-of-the-week from Voyager. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps