Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to The Flameboard.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » post your desktop! (Page 14)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: post your desktop!
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And if I may be permitted:
quote:
Imagine a crossroads where four competing auto dealerships are situated. One of them (Microsoft) is much, much bigger than the others. It started out years ago selling three-speed bicycles (MS-DOS); these were not perfect, but they worked, and when they broke you could easily fix them.

There was a competing bicycle dealership next door (Apple) that one day began selling motorized vehicles--expensive but attractively styled cars with their innards hermetically sealed, so that how they worked was something of a mystery.

The big dealership responded by rushing a moped upgrade kit (the original Windows) onto the market. This was a Rube Goldberg contraption that, when bolted onto a three-speed bicycle, enabled it to keep up, just barely, with Apple-cars. The users had to wear goggles and were always picking bugs out of their teeth while Apple owners sped along in hermetically sealed comfort, sneering out the windows. But the Micro-mopeds were cheap, and easy to fix compared with the Apple-cars, and their market share waxed.

Eventually the big dealership came out with a full-fledged car: a colossal station wagon (Windows 95). It had all the aesthetic appeal of a Soviet worker housing block, it leaked oil and blew gaskets, and it was an enormous success. A little later, they also came out with a hulking off-road vehicle intended for industrial users (Windows NT) which was no more beautiful than the station wagon, and only a little more reliable.

Neal Stephenson
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
one, macs are slow. did you read the articles i linked? obviously not. a 2.53 gigahertz P4 system was up to 40% faster than a dual gHz g4 system. the pentium4 was designed to clock high, that's why it has a long pipeline design. clockspeed is a totally accurate description of a processor if you are talking about the clockspeed of a processor. the g4 has a short pipeline, thus it performs more operations per clockcycle than a pentium4. obviously, this design hasn't worked out in the end, since a single top of the line p4 is up to 40% faster than a dual top of the line g4 system. the proper way to judge a cpu is total performance and then performance per dollar. the pentium4 obviously wins in both. it also happens to run at high clock speeds. i'm sorry you aren't knowledgable enough to see past that.

apples are certainly not the "mercedes" of computers. what are you paying for? you don't even get a 2 button mouse. nice features. [Roll Eyes] out of date ram, expensive video cards, bad keyboards. you don't even get a decent speaker system. real fucking nice. go configure a pc at dell and a mac. look at the total prices and the features. you will see that the dell offers better stuff for less. keep in mind that in most applications, the dell system is going to be a lot faster. i'm running an advance copy of 10.2, and it has been pretty decent. 10.1 sucked, as did 10.0. it has taken apple a long time to bring out a halfway decent version of this operating system. it still doesn't run well on a top of the line apple system though, which speaks volumes about the apple platform. ms also took a long time for the 9x systems to become half way decnet (they never became decent), but the NT platform hasn't had anywhere near as many problems as os x has.

quote:
I try to tell you of my experiences, and you retort with arguments that "Macs suck" and other crap.
you're a jackass. i did indeed say macs suck, and i firmly believe that they do in their current incarnation. i also gave my reasons for saying that. did you forget to read all of those? you people have very selective reading habits and memory. you say i gave you crap. are benchmarks crap? are price to performance ratios crap? how long have you been using apples? i've been using them for a long freaking time. i have a lot of experience with them. the current versions are, compared to the current competition, a lot worse than the apples of 1993 were to the then current competition. if my experiences counts as crap to you, then your's is a lot worse, considering that you haven't written anything worthwhile. if you don't type anything worth reading, them i'm not even going to respond.
IP: Logged
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
we've all read that, Sol System (it's a great book, by the way), but that is way out of date now. using win95 and macs from 4 years ago is in no way comparable to the current situation. and please don't quote anything that talks about dos. dos hasn't been the basis of anything since win2k. i don't even think my current system is dos compatible. [Smile]
IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, you're getting a lifetime of repressed anger metamorphosized by pressures of brand identification and erupting in geek form!

Steve told me this thread would work better here.

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps