Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to The Flameboard.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » post your desktop! (Page 12)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: post your desktop!
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I want people to see my desktop and phEAr mE!!!!
Find yourself a copy of Unix. It'll do wonders for your l33tn3ss.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Which is all nice, but I want it to LOOK different too. I want people to see my desktop and phEAr mE!!!!

Which is why you should probably switch over to Mac OS X! Fear the power of Aqua and Quartz! [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I want people to pH�@r m�!!!!, but I also want something vaguely useful.

(And this post happily answers both the above.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ignore the fish.

Bound to strike ph34r into the hearts of many.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Vaguely useful." Oh, that's very amusing. Really. [Roll Eyes]

Spoken like someone who really doesn't know much about OS X in the first place.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's like nerd masturbatory heaven.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Hmm. That was meant to be a reply to Cartman's comment, but fate has given it a much more important role.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I also fail to be impressed by a vaguely pretty backdrop and a whole mess of icons at the bottom of the screen.

Oh, and the amazing shock difference of having icons on the RIGHT! Not the LEFT! Wow.

--------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well how about icons in the middle of the desktop? Would that tickle your fancy lass?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
"Vaguely useful." Oh, that's very amusing. Really. [Roll Eyes]

Spoken like someone who really doesn't know much about OS X in the first place.

i know a lot about OS X, and i don't find it to be terribly useful (mostly because the hardware that runs it is woefully underpowered for my uses and is freaking expensive).
IP: Logged
Cartman
Member # 256

Apple's interesting future.
Prismatic Faye Valentine Fanboy
Ex-Member

that would leave the apple fanatics very confused: "but Steve' 'our God' Jobs said that megahertz didn't matter! that the G4 is....that the..... the.....the....waaaaaaaaa i want mommy!" [Big Grin]
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

That's nothing but an old rumor at this point, Cartman. I've been hearing things like that for almost a year. It's certainly possible, and I wouldn't be that upset -- because the Apples certainly wouldn't be running on the piece-of-shit Pentiums.

And as for the "fact" that megahertz really does matter...
quote:
Intel falls into MHz trap It seems that Intel is getting a taste of its own medicine with new low-power chips the company has been developing in Israel. While the chips perform more work per cycle, they are plagued by significantly lower clock speeds than the Pentium 4, presenting a marketing hurdle. ZDNN reports the new chip, code-named Banias, will ship in the first quarter of 2003 at 1.4GHz, 1.5GHz and 1.6GHz. More.
Windows geeks, eat your hearts out! Your penises are not as big as you think. [Razz] (I say this with the understanding that 95% of people don't care about getting the "most powerful" machine, of course... [Wink] )

--------------------

Prismatic Faye Valentine Fanboy
Ex-Member

[Roll Eyes] old news. who cares, it ain't gonna come out. your point doesn't even count, since it's a windows processor. and it's the same argument that AMD fans use, so it doesn't matter. as far as comparing apples and pc's, look at these this and this. wow, those g4's sure so fly in adobe content creation, the only thing Apple even claims as a performance "win" anymore. as the articles post, megahertz might not matter, but gigahertz do. can't wait until hyperthreading at the end of the year. 18% average increase in programs that aren't even programmed to take advantage of it. Prescott is going to rock.

[edit: damn, that first link doesn't work. you'll have to search through the features and find "mac vs. pc, round 1", if you care enough to go through the effort.]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by Prismatic Faye Valentine Fanboy:
as the articles post, megahertz might not matter, but gigahertz do. can't wait until hyperthreading at the end of the year. 18% average increase in programs that aren't even programmed to take advantage of it. Prescott is going to rock.

Please, for the love of god, go out bowling or something. Anything. For me.

--------------------

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps