Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to The Flameboard.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » post your desktop! (Page 13)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: post your desktop!
Prismatic Faye Valentine Fanboy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
IP: Logged
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Prismatic Faye Valentine Fanboy:
can't wait until hyperthreading at the end of the year. 18% average increase in programs that aren't even programmed to take advantage of it. Prescott is going to rock.

Wow, a computer chip that can enlarge penises too! Man, that's got to be really something! [Roll Eyes]

I don't care about the most gigahertz or the ultra-fastest processor. Yeah, it's an additional bonus, but if I really cared about things like that, I would've bought a G4 TiBook instead of the G3 iBook.

But I don't care about that -- I care more about the established user-friendly features the at least halfway intelligent system layout. There ain't no "blue screen of death" or "system has performed illegal operation and will be shut down" on the Macintosh.

If you prefer to argue that you like Windows because it's faster and bigger, that's fine. That's your choice. Me, I'm more discerning as far as the quality of the programming goes.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not the speed that matters, it's how we use it and how well it can handle what we thrust in and out everyday.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No MM, you're wrong. Your operating system of choice is wrong. It shouldn't even exist. There shouldn't even have to be a choice. There is only one that can be the best. You might as well just throw that junker iBook away and get yourself a real computer. Those very few who are using that stupid lame system are morons and idiots for doing so. Look at how their stuff is different. What a bunch of idiots. They are deluding themselves into thinking that they enjoying those pathetic and slower machines. What fools. I have numbers and charts and figures which illustrate just how obsolete and useless that operating system is. There really isn't any point in debating. The operating system I use is obviously vastly superior so there is no point in arguing now is there. So stop trying to tell me that your operating system is the best because clearly you are wrong and I am right.

Bernd is a very wise man.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
quote:
Originally posted by Prismatic Faye Valentine Fanboy:
can't wait until hyperthreading at the end of the year. 18% average increase in programs that aren't even programmed to take advantage of it. Prescott is going to rock.

Wow, a computer chip that can enlarge penises too! Man, that's got to be really something! [Roll Eyes]

I don't care about the most gigahertz or the ultra-fastest processor. Yeah, it's an additional bonus, but if I really cared about things like that, I would've bought a G4 TiBook instead of the G3 iBook.

But I don't care about that -- I care more about the established user-friendly features the at least halfway intelligent system layout. There ain't no "blue screen of death" or "system has performed illegal operation and will be shut down" on the Macintosh.

If you prefer to argue that you like Windows because it's faster and bigger, that's fine. That's your choice. Me, I'm more discerning as far as the quality of the programming goes.

funniest thing i've read in a while! os 10 crashes all the time. i get kernel panic 2 or three times a week with my mac at work. the systems are slow, and expensive. i've yet to get a bluescreen of death with either windows 2000 or XP, but i've gotten whitescreens of death with os 10 plenty of times. it's a pretty poor OS in the current implimentation. hell, the systems can't even run the damn thing properly. btw, sure is nice of the white screen to tell you how to turn off the computer. Apple sure has a lot of confidence in it's user base. you need to go use some real computers. i've been using PC's, Apples, and sun systems for years. in my experience with all 3, i can only have on conclusion: Macs suck. they are super expensive, they are friggin slow, and they don't have a particuraly large library of software. about the only reason there is to buy a Mac is for final cut pro. stop living in the past.
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

oh Balaam Xumucane, you poor martyr. arguments are fine when both sides have facts to back themselves up with. people like you just bemoan the world and talk about how everyone is against them and how their decision is based not on facts, but on pure aesthetics, therefore there is no need to have an argument based on the truth. do you sometimes find yourself proclaiming "software?! i don't run software! i run Mac!". that has been shouted in my face before. Mac people are usually the loudest people. usually too loud to allow anyone else to talk. there is a reason for that. i loved Apples 7 years ago. too bad the current ones are basically the same damn machines, with 1995 prices and everything.
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In your opinion. So, who's shouting the loudest here?

Do you understand the inherent dangers of intolerant thinking? Do you realize that certain tones of your comments make you sound like a fundementalist? It's a big sand-box; can't we all play nice?

RE: Martyr. Well, I don't just think everyone is against me. I happen to know that they are. I enjoy the experience of using my mac more than the experience of using my PC. That is truth. I can't definitively state which is 'better'. You have a mountain of numbers to support that the Intel Pentium 4 will process more information a second than two Motorola G4s. That sucks because I still like using my Mac better. I wish it were faster.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

i'm not intolerant, i simply demand facts in an argument. i used to use Apples (the first system i ever used was a IIE, and i preferred Apples until i got "techie" about 1995) i'm sorry that your mac isn't faster. maybe you'll get lucky and the ibm 64 bit processor mentioned here might be the "G5". [Smile] the power4 is a kick ass processor (though i think that the next iteration ot Itanium will be better), and i'm sure any derivative will be great.

my biggest problem with apple people is that statements are made about how great os x is, or how great apple's are graphics, blah blah blah, but no facts are ever used. os x is as flawed as any other modern operating system (though it is a good OS. i think that for the "average" user, it is a lot better thought out than XP, and doesn't have any silly microsoft shit to deal with), and macs aren't as fast as the competition anymore. i'm glad you are happy using your Mac. i'm certainly happy with my PC's. lets just call a truce. i'm a part time salesman at a university computer shop (along with having to do stuff i don't get paid enough for like graphics, etc) and i have to argue mac vs. pc all the time (usually with the same people over and over who come up to me, yell and scream, and never give any facts to support their positions. those articles i linked shut them up, though [Big Grin] ). i don't really like doing it at places that i come to for relaxation (like this message board). have a good evening.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

i resent being called a fundamentalist, by the way. how many fundamentalists (of any kind) try out all sides and then welcome factually based arguments? if you have a supported position, then bring it out. i'm not a "mac hater". if Apple brought out a platform that was as fast as current pc's, could be built by a DIY'er end user, wasn't overpriced, and had an extensive software library filled with stuff that i use, i would certainly think seriously about going back to the Apple platform. i don't think any of those things are going to happen soon. and the "can't we all play nice" is the same response i hear from adobe fanatics who irrationally hate superior macromedia products but have no reasons, and from chevy/ford people who irrationally hate foreign cars for no reason when i give them actual facts. are you one of these people? oh well, whatcha gonna do.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder, if, ever, somewhere down the line, anything like this will ever feature in a philosophy or debate or swimming class in a school somewhere. It's like the geek version of Creationism vs. Evolution, and less rednecky than Guns vs. Less Guns.
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

you should say "fewer guns", not "less guns".
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my.
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

lions and bears?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
os 10 crashes all the time. i get kernel panic 2 or three times a week with my mac at work. the systems are slow, and expensive. i've yet to get a bluescreen of death with either windows 2000 or XP, but i've gotten whitescreens of death with os 10 plenty of times.
Well, then obviously your system administrator doesn't know much about how to use Macs. Any system requires maintenance. There's the possibility of conflicting kernel extensions and so on. Are you just accepting the crashes, moving on, and then yelling "Macs suck!" I've been using OS X for eight months now, and I have had a total of TWO kernel panics.

Now, I can't argue too much against your experience with Windows, Mac, and Sun systems. If that's your preference, that's fine. But don't start yelling that "Macs suck" just because you don't like them or operate them properly.

Question: which version of OS X do you use? If it's 10.0, then that's part of the problem in the first place. OS 10.0 was basically a beta, even though they took the "Public Beta" name off the box. The entire OS has literally been built from the ground up, and although the core UNIX system is certainly stable, there's still some kinks to work out. And they will be -- most of them already have. I'm running 10.1.5 and haven't had a panic in three months. And I'm expecting to receive 10.2 by the end of the month.

Edipis, you keep complaining that Macs are "overpriced." That's bullshit. Cheap pricing is certainly why Honda and Ford sell so many relatively inexpensive cars... or you can buy a Mercedes or BMW. Or a slightly more balanced example: you can buy a Ford, or a Lincoln.

You can argue that Wintel PCs are superior till you're blue in the face. I've seen plenty of arguments that support both sides. Therefore, any arguments you try to link to will have no effect on me. I have had experience with Macs, and I've worked with Windows. I've even done a little with some pure-UNIX machines. And I know from what I've seen that Macs are like a fine artisan's tool -- in the proper hands, and with the proper handling, they work wonderfully.

Good luck plugging away at your Windoze machine. If that makes you happy, fine. I try to tell you of my experiences, and you retort with arguments that "Macs suck" and other crap. You argue that Windows chips have the best mega/gigahertz, as if that's all that matters, as if the gHz were the be-all-and-end-all. I try to point out that the clock speed isn't a totally accurate measurement of the processor.

Oh, well.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The fact is that the world is divided between users of the Macintosh computer and users of MS-DOS compatible computers. I am firmly of the opinion that the Macintosh is Catholic and that DOS is Protestant. Indeed, the Macintosh is counter-reformist and has been influenced by the 'ratio studiorum' of the Jesuits. It is cheerful, friendly, conciliatory, it tells the faithful how they must proceed step by step to reach--if not the Kingdom of Heaven--the moment in which their document is printed. It is catechistic: the essence of revelation is dealt with via simple formulae and sumptuous icons. Everyone has a right to salvation.

"DOS is Protestant, or even Calvinistic. It allows free interpretation of scripture, demands difficult personal decisions, imposes a subtle hermeneutics upon the user, and takes for granted the idea that not all can reach salvation. To make the system work you need to interpret the program yourself: a long way from the baroque community of revellers, the user is closed within the loneliness of his own inner torment.

"You may object that, with the passage to Windows, the DOS universe has come to resemble more closely the counter-reformist tolerance of the Macintosh. It's true: Windows represents an Anglican-style schism, big ceremonies in the cathedral, but there is always the possibility of a return to DOS to change things in accordance with bizarre decisions; when it comes down to it, you can decide to allow women and gays to be ministers if you want to.

Umberto Eco
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps