Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I have a car (Page 2)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  14  15  16   
Author Topic: I have a car
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LOA:
However, as an addict to all that is car audio, simply settling for a "cd player that plays CD-RWs" or the like is just not good enough for me.

"Settles"? What more is there that he can get? One that plays DVDs?

Anyway, I'm not completely sure of the point. Using CD-RWs as audio CDs seems like a bit of a waste to me, especially when CD-Rs are ten a penny nowadays.

quote:
I don't like leather seats in a car, either. They get really hot in the sun and you stick to them if you're wearing shorts.

And thank god too. Americans wear shorts far too much as it is. If I wanted to look at mens legs, I'd go to a swimming pool. And look at mens legs.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on the wheels. But, yuck! @ the automatic transmission [Razz]

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes, because manual is so much better. "Look! I have given myself extra work to do, for I am man! Rargh!"

It's another tiny-penis thing, isn't it?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what a huge workload it is. Moving that stick all over the place, coordinating those movements with ones feet... people have been known to die from exhaustion while shifting their way through traffic.

Manual == more control + better gas mileage.
Automatic == what, exactly?

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
And Americans continue to raise the bar when it comes to extreme lazyness.

I rest my case.
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Manual == more control + better gas mileage.
Automatic == what, exactly?

This is a myth, a modern automatic trans. can give you better gas mileage than most manual drivers.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I will allow this double equals sign thing to continue for another 2 and a half weeks before I start hitting people.

Manual only equals better "gas" mileage if you use it properly, which I doubt most people do. And I also doubt whether it makes a significant difference at all.

Automatic = more time to play with the car radio.

And using a car is already lazy. I see no need to make it more complicated when there is no real need. Or do you want a manual choke as well?

Still, I award you 40 points for quoting me, even if it was to try and catch me out.

--------------------

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

*grin* I'm a TOTAL Honda chick

I have a Honda, Civic.

[Cool]

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"Settles"? What more is there that he can get? One that plays DVDs?

Anyway, I'm not completely sure of the point. Using CD-RWs as audio CDs seems like a bit of a waste to me, especially when CD-Rs are ten a penny nowadays.

Maybe one that plays MP3s? I currently own a Diskman that gives about 10 hours per CD on a portable that has power for 24.
A car based version with a CD changer would be sweet.

From personal experience, I usually burn only "new" unscreened mp3s onto CD-RWs while archive material goes onto CDRs.
Still one wonders if they will make a DVD mp3 player...at 10 hours per CD and 650MB, a DVD would give a running time of....a lot.

What. I'm not in math.
Well ok, I'm in the math faculty, but we don't do arithmetic.
No really.
Stop staring at me. [Smile]

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on the new car Omega, "Well wear", as we say over here. You gonna give it a name?

BTW I think that part of the reason for going for automatic transmission is also that the gearbox of a manual car gets worn out if you're driving through those huge American cities and gearing up and down all the time.

But I prefer manual gears, Cartman's right, you get much more control of the car. Besides, it's nice to shift gears. Especially when they go "clunk!". AND manual chokes have their uses too. For example, if you leave the choke out longer than necessary you can take your foot off the accelerator and keep going, sort of like cruise mode (albeit a horribly inefficient and pathetic attempt at cruise mode). Mmmm... Cruise mode, now THERE'S a feature worth having.

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Ooh, potential snapping factor present, re confusion of "disk" and "disc".

Mucus, I love you like a baby, but "Discman". "Disk" is short for diskette, and there are no such beasts in the mini CD marvels of Sony.

I need a new car radio, since the old one got nicked (bloody Scousers), and I looked at an mp3 one. And then rapidly looked to the left, at the cheaper ones.

--------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A manual is more fun to drive if you're a control freak.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Control freaks should ride horses.

--------------------

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... dude, don't get Liz started on what she's done to her poor car...
LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*grin* Actually, to go back a few posts, yes.. one that plays DVDs IS what is needed.... and MP3s.... it's of the uptmost importance....

Right now, my head unit DOESN'T play MP3s, so I'm getting a changer that can... I thought about getting a new head unit, but for now I think I'm done with BIG changes to this car... just the changer and the alarm install will finish me up....

But my next car............................. oh, baby......... it's gonna be a party! ;-)

And I also drive a Honda Civic [Smile]

But I want a 2001 Accord EX V6 w/leather.... that's going to be the next car.... unless I change my mind soon [Wink]

~LOA

--------------------
"You are anal twattypoo who has ruined my good mood" PsyLiam to TSN May 01,2006.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And thank god too. Americans wear shorts far too much as it is. If I wanted to look at mens legs, I'd go to a swimming pool. And look at mens legs.

Need I remind you that I'm Canadian? [Razz]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  14  15  16   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps