Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I have a car (Page 5)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  14  15  16   
Author Topic: I have a car
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only two? I thought you were Darth Jeep? I mean personally I killed one, and hit about maybe three of them with dents in return.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah. Drive what you're happy with. I prefer an automatic transmission since I live in a heavily-congested city, work in the heaviest-congested part of that city.

I could drive a manual transmission if I needed to, but I don't see the point. It's the same thing as not seeing the point in trying to thin out the deer population of rural Maryland with my Death Jeep to show my dissatisfaction with God's handiwork of the deer reflexes.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off: I hardly live in "rural" Maryland. Cockeysville may not be Baltimore City, but it is very suburban ... lots of streets, a huge industrial complex (including about 30 buildings and factories belonging to McCormick spices ... the whole area smells real nice), hundreds of apartment buildings, and thousands of houses.

Second off: #@$!(^$%##!!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yeah, whatever, you just can't be bothered to actually learn how to work something that isn't hard at all.

Yes. I should point out that

1/ I am a poor student, and therefore:
2/ I can only afford cheap second hand cars, and therefore (again):
3/ All the cars I've owned have been manual transmission.

So, really, your argument is a bit, well, crap? Isn't it?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you, Liam! I'm glad to know you drive a manual transmission and are NOT a lazy SOB. You are, however, English, which is just as bad. So ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"And then Jeff raped a dear."

A dear what?

And it could still be argued that Liam is lazy, since he chose to drive stick, rather than working enough to earn the money to buy an auto.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

But it could also be argued that he spent more on a used manual then a used auto. There's an old Civic in my parking lot some guy wants $1k for, and its automatic, and I'm sure I could buy a used manual for more then that.

BTW: today's L&O blew.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A dear friend of the animals.

You could argue that I'm lazy like that, certainly. But to afford an automatic car I'd have had to have worked twice as much as I did, which means that someone would have had to have invented a 48 hour day.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I'd like one of those, actually.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Springfield Armory Snay:
First off: I hardly live in "rural" Maryland. Cockeysville may not be Baltimore City, but it is very suburban ... lots of streets, a huge industrial complex (including about 30 buildings and factories belonging to McCormick spices ... the whole area smells real nice), hundreds of apartment buildings, and thousands of houses.

Bah! Delaware may be small, but the northern part of the state is hardly rural. New Castle County may not be Baltimore City or Philadelphia, but it is very suburban ... lots of streets, a large industrial complex (ever hear of DuPont, which first produced gunpowder for a century and then branched off into chemical production? Founded in Delaware, baby!) and also a heavy commercial presence in Wilmington, a decent-sized city with a a bunch of towers. Nothing compared to Philadelphia or other truly big cities, but it definitely stands out on the horizon. Then there's the fact that a large number of financial corporations are headquartered in Delaware. MBNA? Wilmington, Delaware. First USA? Wilmington, Delaware. Wilmington Trust? Gee, that might be... Wilmington, Delaware!

It ain't just a place you drive through on the way to New York or Washington, guys! [Razz]

And second: #%&#$%&@#)$@!!!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

You know what, I hate Wilmington, Deliwhere. My Chase credit card goes there too. Bastards.

So, what, its got a population of four or something?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Car < �1000 + Insurance + Tax != contents of my bank balance at any point in the past 4 years.

--------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So, what, its got a population of four or something?
Delaware only has four deer left!? Damn, Jeff, but you have been busy, haven't you?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You hate leather?

Yup. More expensive, more upkeep, less sit-in-the-heat friendly. I don't see an upside.

However, as an addict to all that is car audio, simply settling for a "cd player that plays CD-RWs" or the like is just not good enough for me....

Well, it has a very nice bass booster. It's kinda fun kicking up the bass as high as it'll go and playing those big whomping synth chords in "It's My Life". It's also fun to sit in the parking lot after a church activity and play "Your Song" and "We Didn't Start the Fire" as loud as I can with the windows down. [Smile]

Anyway, I'm not completely sure of the point. Using CD-RWs as audio CDs seems like a bit of a waste to me, especially when CD-Rs are ten a penny nowadays.

They're a quarter a piece over here, give or take. And the real reason is that it gives me less to keep up with. I just burn one CD-RW repeatedly, wherever I am, and I don't have to keep up with the CD-Rs. Simpler, cheaper... no downside.

Accord Coupe or Sedan?

Sedan.

I currently own a Diskman that gives about 10 hours per CD on a portable that has power for 24.
A car based version with a CD changer would be sweet.

They have little $30 FM transmitters that'd be good for that. iRock 300w. Get 'em at Radio Shack or CompUSA. Just plug into your headphone jack and go. Of course, how well it works depends on how sensitive your radio is and what frequencies are free in your area. Also good for karaoke on church busses. [Smile]

at 10 hours per CD and 650MB, a DVD would give a running time of....a lot.

Last number I heard was a week.

You gonna give it a name?

Hmm... good question. I'll have to look through babynames.com and see if there's anything good. My laptop's Erimintha, BTW. Keeper of thoughts. I would have used Eris, Greek goddess of strife, but it was taken. [Smile]

Cruise mode, now THERE'S a feature worth having.

And I do. [Smile]

you just can't be bothered to actually learn how to work something that isn't hard at all.

I have theoretical knowledge of how to operate a manual transmission. I simply fail to see the point. It'd be like typing in all the individual lines in autoexec.bat. Sure, it helps certain memory skills, but it's a waste of time and memory skills that can be used better for other purposes.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, today's L&O blew. Depending on what time you watched it.

I wonder when the "Homer" is coming out.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  14  15  16   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps