Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I have a car (Page 4)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  14  15  16   
Author Topic: I have a car
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe he was referring to the mess of cows run amuck on the highway.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deleware has a HIGHWAY?
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's a road on a hill.
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of you who think Automatics are junky, you obviously have not seen the modern Automatic transmission. Companies like BMW, Aston Martin, and Ferrari have developed a new style of automatic transmission that uses regular gearing like a manual (instead of the fluid-based transmission of an automatic), but has it controlled by a computer. These systems can switch gears nearly instantaneously, with BMWs system boasting a change of around 1/10th of a second.

In other words, it's a computer controlled manual. But that's not all there is to it, since the system can be overridden by the driver so that he can shift on his own, using two paddles located behind the steering wheel, therefore allowing the driver to keep his hands on the wheel at all times. A flip of the right paddle shifts up one, a flip of the left paddle shifts down one.

The other key thing about these transmissions is that they have no clutch pedal. As soon as either the computer attempts to shift gears, or the driver hits a padel, the computer automatically controls the clutch, allowing for such quick gear changes to be possible.

Another new system developed by Mitsubishi for the DaimlerChrysler Automotive Group (Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Mercedes-Benz, Smart, Maybach, Mitsubishi) is Autostick. Autostick is a regular, fluid-based automatic transmission that features a manual override. With a flick of the floor shifter to either the left or right, one can force the car to shift gears before the computer would normally shift. Again, this is clutchless since it has no real gears, it's merely the change in the fluid transmission. Other Japanese companies like Honda, Toyota, and Nissan have followed Mitsubishi with the Autostick development (although they use a different name for their versions), and they can be found on most of their luxury car lines (Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti). These Autostick systems allow you to have the ease of an automatic, but the sportiness of a manual only when you feel like driving in a sporty fashion.

As for gas mileage, regular manuals are as a standard 1mpg better then an automatic, but as someone already said, that's under ideal conditions.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, driving a stick is not that difficult. It's very easy, once you learn. And any punk bitch who drives an automatic Wrangler deserves a smack.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Springfield Armory Snay:
quote:
And I live in Delaware, where suburbia meets traffic jams. Almost everywhere. Driving a stick shift in traffic would not be my idea of fun.
Oh, please, there are all of like ten people in Deleware. You can't ALL be driving at the same time.
There's not a lot, but most of them are all crammed into the northern county. I take it you've never driven on I-95 through Delaware through rush hour? Granted, it's certainly not as bad as big cities like Washington or Baltimore, but it's still frustrating. That's all I meant.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Deleware doesn't exist. It's a Government conspiracy.

Sadly, the website that spilled the beans no longer works. [Frown]

I've driven on I-95 through Delaware into NJ only once, and that was two years ago. Usually, if I'm in Deleware, its because I get lost in the Salisbury region. Sounds like you don't live more then an hour or so from me.

Cool! I know one of the dozen or so people residing in Delaware!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread is proof that if it wasn't Star Trek it would be some other damn thing, I guess.

I have cursed in the elderly manner in order to reinforce the image.

Member # 239

Snay: "Deleware...Delaware...Deleware...Delaware"

Make up your mind.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Delywhere?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Ooh, potential snapping factor present, re confusion of "disk" and "disc".

Mucus, I love you like a baby, but "Discman". "Disk" is short for diskette, and there are no such beasts in the mini CD marvels of Sony.

Picky picky picky, I said I was in math, not english...and its my second language so nyah [Razz]

I thumb my nose at your "Brattain" or whatever that guy said.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people have got nixpicking down to an art.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
English is your second language? Why did I not know that?

And Jeff, no-one ever said that driving a manual transmission was hard. Merely that it was pointless, unless you are Formula 1 driver.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega said "Brittain". He took a starship name typo to new heights of sillyness. We laughed at him. And then Jeff raped a dear.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Driving stickshift is pointless? Yeah, whatever, you just can't be bothered to actually learn how to work something that isn't hard at all.

I never raped a deer. I've just killed two *TWO* 2! of them.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  14  15  16   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps