Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Oh, come off it! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Oh, come off it!
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*facepalm*
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin] Sorry, I meant "content".
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what? We've got to stop using IE in order to continue using this forum & the Internet? Not likely! I'm quite happy with IE and have no intention of changing and risk messing my system up (again)! Besides I've got protection - Norton Systemworks and Firewall 2004 - isn't that good enough?

If someone can PROVE that Firefox is better and IE is dying then I'm sticking with IE. Charles - please remove the warning, it's served its purpose. Plus it bugs me.

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously this is Charles' site and he may do as he pleases.

But personally I prefer Windows and IE to the so-called "alternative" operating systems and browsers, and hearing them constantly bemoaned by zealots (I agree that this is an appropriate term) wears very thin, very fast. Like it or not, Microsoft set the standard and many, MANY poeple---a majority, even---continue to use and be satisfied with it. And I find that banner to be overly alarmist, extremely biased, and somewhat distasteful. He could just as easily have posted an FYI topic in the Officer's Lounge or Incoming Hails forums.

But, oh well, he is da man...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Charles - please remove the warning, it's served its purpose. Plus it bugs me.
Oh, that's going to work.

Personally, I'm going to advocate the technique known as scrolling.

Scroll down, box = gone.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Capps:
*facepalm*

Damn! you beat me to it!

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3408301

quote:
Originally posted by Charles Capps:
[QUOTE]They can't. MS doesn't release its code to the general public. On the other hand, Mozilla does. For five years, that code has been under public scruitiny. The process of open source allows and encourages people to find problems, and for problems to be fixed quickly by a community.

Firefox has indeed has had its share of security issues. However, the Mozilla team tends to fix things in a matter of hours instead of days, weeks, or months.

The process of open source allows for very small profit margins. By code i didnt actually mean 'source'. Regaurdless. You win. I'm using Opera again.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"That isn't exactly how I'd classify the majority of the people here at Flare."

No, neither would I, but that IS how you're labeling them by slamming a bigass red box in their faces and blaring out that they're endangering the internet with every IE session they start. I mean, for the "fuck"'s sake.

Now, much as it may appall you or me, there are people who will never try anything (be it a browser or an OS or whatever) other than what they know, either because they're uninterested in the alternatives (which is a shame but their good right) or because they're unaware of them (which is also a shame but not one alleviated by ramming your personal favorites down their throats), and those will always form the largest group in your visitor base, so think about wether what you're doing is productive here.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night I had a periodic clean-out of my cookies, and cleaned them from Firefox for the first time. Question is, does that button you can tick that says "do not accept cookies from sites that you remove" do any good?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant no offence Charles!

The banner is a bit insulting and distastful - all IE sessions destroy the Internet. Like Cartman said: "for the "fuck"'s sake".

I'm not having a go at you personally Charles, just the way you chose to display your view. Like The Mighty Monkey of Mim said: "could just as easily have posted an FYI topic in the Officer's Lounge or Incoming Hails forums." Now that I would have preferred and read and taken under serious advisement. [Smile]

I'd like to know how the forum site will know whether I've changed to Firefox and thus remove the annoying "in-your-face-and-insulting" banner.

The only real things that you've achieve is:

a) scare me even more about technology,
b) offend me by implying that I'm a danger to the Internet and other users (which is probably true anyway! [Razz] ), and
c) totally and utterly confused me! [Confused]

The Microsoft site states:

"Important Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) is not affected by this issue. Windows XP SP2 users only need to update Office (if installed)."

So if I install the SP2 from the disk that I have, does that mean that I only need to update Office XP? I've just checked the site - can't do it on a 56K connection, with a 4 hour time limit! 195 mins to do download the office update. In fairness to my family I can't be on that long!

How do you spot this jpeg thingy anyway? [Confused] [Confused]

HELP! [Frown] [Confused]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just recently installed WinXP SP2 on my new system, and on the high priority list of updates was the GDI+ image thingy. But I use Firefox anyways. Except when I'm at the university, that is.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, kids... come on.... don't you all think you're taking this Warning Box thing a little too seriously? It's not that big of a deal. It's a warning message. Whoopdeedo!I mean, if we look at the grand scheme of things in life, there are wars, people dying, hurricaines invading, and any number of other WAY more important things to get riled up about. Calm down. Charles is just trying to get the word out about the major suck that is the IE. He's made his point. REALLY well, I'd say, seeing how so many people are taking this as a constitutional offense... oy. If you don't wanna switch to a different browser, then don't. Give it a few days and that warning message will seem as familiar as the Flare logo on the top of the page. No sense getting your panties in a bunch.

Yeesh. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"You are anal twattypoo who has ruined my good mood" PsyLiam to TSN May 01,2006.

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
akb1979:

quote:
We've got to stop using IE in order to continue using this forum & the Internet?
Got to? No. Should? Yup.

quote:
PROVE that Firefox is better
It is. Read: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/why/

quote:
IE is dying
IE is dead. This has been known for a year. Read: http://news.com.com/2100-1032-1011859.html

The next major version, meaning a version with changed rendering or user interface components, will be out with Longhorn, in two years.

quote:
I'd like to know how the forum site will know whether I've changed to Firefox
It only displays for people using IE.

Lee:

quote:
Question is, does that button you can tick that says "do not accept cookies from sites that you remove" do any good?
I've never used that, but I'd imagine that it works as advertised. I'd advise trying it out here, as I know the cookies work here, but I don't know how to unblock blocked sites... unless it inserts them on the normal blocked sites list.

And finally...

quote:
Hey, kids... come on.... don't you all think you're taking this Warning Box thing a little too seriously?
What she said. Jeez, really.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I'm not changing. The red ads a nice splash of colour to the front page! [Smile]

I took years to swap from Netscape - so I'm not going to change from IE very soon.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fine, about security flaws etc. etc. Can I just say how IRONIC it is that about 3 years ago, I was using Netscape and more and more I was told to use IE - that it was far more superior now to Netscape etc. etc. and then I HAD to change to IE because the pages on here weren't being displayed properly. *roll eyes*

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew: That's because IE still was a step up from old Netscape 4. But IE is currently a browser that hasn't added any major features save popup blocking in the past three years or so, while Firefox is still pushing ahead.

Think of it this way:
NS4 < IE < Firefox

You've made one step up. Now we're saying it's best to go further.

What so many people are failing to realize is that IE is an evolutionary dead end; it's not being developed, and the only thing that Microsoft's working on is adding a few minor features to update it. They've made a big show of opening up their IE blog and similar stuff, but they still haven't promised to add support for recent standards, and they're not going to be delivering it anytime soon. Plus, IE is so full of security holes, it makes Swiss cheese look leak-proof.

So many people think that poorly-performing computers are just the way things are. They don't realize that there IS a better alternative. Using different software doesn't have to be the end of the world!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps