Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Oh, come off it! (Page 5)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Oh, come off it!
LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the plus side, I DO have to say thank you to Charles for making everyone's blood pressure shoot through the roof over this... it FINALLY added some excitement to the place. For the first time in a LONG time I actually can check the Forums and laugh.

Thanks to Charles, and thanks to all the little people... you all have brightened my day and lit up my life.

I think I need to take more medication.

~LOA

--------------------
"You are anal twattypoo who has ruined my good mood" PsyLiam to TSN May 01,2006.

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LOA:
Thanks to Charles, and thanks to all the little people... you all have brightened my day and lit up my life.

I think I need to take more medication.

~LOA

LOL! Happy to have been of service! [Big Grin]

I agree with you LOA, we need more fun here as just lately it feels a little stale. [Frown]

Of course there's a charge for this service - my invoice is in the post. You should receive it within a week and must pay by the end of the month! HEHE! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Confused]

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

an'on
Member # 222

- posted      Profile for an'on     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is far more entertaining and less SCARY than another passionate argument I have read recently.

The topic was more combustible than browsers�propane. They argued over the safety, convenience, odds of something bad happening, and lack of safety over an rv/travel trailer/5th wheel/camper traveling down the road with propane gas on and flame/spark creating devices (hot water tank heater, heater, fridge) running.

Scary is that most thought little of turning it off for going down the road and only sometimes remembered to turn the gas and/or flame devices off when they refueled at gas stations.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akb1979:
I've never updated Windows due to having a dial-up connection and I have my doubts about the SP2 disk.

Don't come crying to me when your computer gets infected with some evil icky virus exploiting a flaw in MSN Messenger, then.

quote:
I already have the SP2 disk - from the PC Gamer mag. It says that it'll take about 2 hours to install & take 1.8-2.0 GB of my hard drive space.
I'm not sure that's right. I've just downloaded it, and once the download had finished it probably took around 15-20 minutes to actually install. I didn't check how much hard drive space it took up, but as I've got at least 40 gig free I'm not too bothered.

And I'm lazy to do a seperate quote box for Andrew, so I'll just answer it here...downloading SP2 would include all the previous updates. I'd say that you could use System Restore if it goes wrong, but that would be hard to do if the computer keeps resetting.

I'm curious as to what the problem is. I'm a bit sceptical about that "helpdesk having hundreds of queries", because millions of people obviously installed that update without any trouble. And why on Earth did they have to wipe your computer? Wouldn't it load up in safe mode? Couldn't they just do a repair installation of Windows?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"And I'm lazy to do a seperate quote box for Andrew..."

Too lazy to type "too" it seems, also.

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
I'm not sure that's right. I've just downloaded it, and once the download had finished it probably took around 15-20 minutes to actually install. I didn't check how much hard drive space it took up, but as I've got at least 40 gig free I'm not too bothered.

...downloading SP2 would include all the previous updates.

Oh? 15-20 minutes and it has all previous updates with it? Well yeah in that case I might do it, but first I need some DVD+R's or DVD+RW's to backup "My Documents" incase everything goes wrong - must remember to order them . . . note to self . . . [Smile]

quote:
I'm curious as to what the problem is. I'm a bit sceptical about that "helpdesk having hundreds of queries", because millions of people obviously installed that update without any trouble. And why on Earth did they have to wipe your computer? Wouldn't it load up in safe mode? Couldn't they just do a repair installation of Windows?
Um, not being too technically minded but - yeah I would have thought that they would have gone through safe mode too - wiping it just seems silly to me as it's a bugger to have to start all over again! [Frown]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by akb1979:

And I'm lazy to do a seperate quote box for Andrew, so I'll just answer it here...downloading SP2 would include all the previous updates. I'd say that you could use System Restore if it goes wrong, but that would be hard to do if the computer keeps resetting.

OK, It's a long and arduous tale, but I'll flesh it out even more. My theory (and a few others) is that because it was the 'wee hours' for the States when Australia is 'awake' they had uploaded a stuffed new update, and we happened to cop the stuffed version - before they replaced it - which 'miraculously' happened at about 4pm that afternoon. It was a Saturday our time, and I got to the computer store they were run off their feet trying to answer phones go to businesses that they had sold computers to etc. ANYWAY - They took my computer in and were going to fix it.

Fine at that time. I got home and rang Microsoft naiviely thinking they might give me some answers. They denied everything, and said that they had had no complaints or tech queries about said problem. So I explained to the desk idiot what had happened and he said 'oh do you have your computer there' and i said 'no I returened it to it's place of purchase (a microsoft certified vendor etc etc.) he said 'oh no, no you should have rung us first - you should always ring us first (yeah right) go and retreive your computer and ring us back. So I stupidly did - after that guy going on about how Microsoft are supposed to deal with problems that i had mentioned etc. So while they were in the middle of doing a 'mirror' of my computer back at the shop - I asked them if I could take my computer home and bring it back - and if stopping in the middle of a 'mirror' would stuff the computer (the dweeb working at the store said no, that is fine).

Get the computer home, ring back the microsoft guy, go through everything I've already checked - safe mode etc etc. Then the microsoft ARSEHOLE goes "oh, no you should return the computer to it's place of purchase". I was so frickin' annoyed.

Anyway take it back to the store. I go back to the end of the queue. Next TUESDAY I get a phonecall from store dweeb telling me that my computer has been wiped. Stopping the mirror halfway through caused the partition to fail or something like that.

SO If I had just let them do their job, without microsoft interfering in the first place - everything would have been fine. They still CHARGED me for it all.

SEEING as my computer was only 2 months old at that point, I learnt how to install and network my new XP computer and my old Win95 computer (which they said at the store they wouldn't or couldn't support - wankers).

Just redownloaded everything to my new HDD again (and had to reinstall everything).

SO after that stuffing up my computer I turned up auto update - as I was advised. (you can't win though cause you put the updates on and your computer is vunerable to Microsoft putting up dud updates - which they seem to test on Australia as it's like 4am in the morning for them, and they can find problems and fix them before the day starts for people in Asia, Europe and the Americas. Grr.

AND if you turn of updates microsoft aren't going to help you because they just say 'oh you should update'. GRR.

ANYWAY - this new problem that I have with updates - is that one of the SP1 updates changes my Windows display - as I said in a previous post - all the toolbars and text goes black, so you can only go back and undo the update if you can essentially navigate your way back 'in the dark'. Everything is black. Well most things. SO if I don't put that update in, I can't install the following updates. SO STUPID! (This update I'm talking about is different to the one that restarted my computer over and over again).

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The University Student Union only use the MS IE 6.0 web browser at all its terminals... so whenever I sign onto here from work I can see the message. How odd...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"In the grand scheme of things in life, there are (...) any number of other WAY more important things to get riled up about..."

Like, oh, dents in your car?

And remind me to link back to this thread the next time you're going through one of your many relational crises and decide to wail about how all men should be fed their own dicks and then hanged by the balls in public, will you?

/long day

(I just installed the v1.0 preview release of FireFox to update my barely two-month old v0.8.something, and It is Good.)

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel left out, Charles. I use Firefox, so I get no warning. Can you put another big red box for us with something like:

WELL DONE YOUNG GIRL!

Damn, I miss Pokey.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
I asked them if I could take my computer home and bring it back - and if stopping in the middle of a 'mirror' would stuff the computer (the dweeb working at the store said no, that is fine).

Next TUESDAY I get a phonecall from store dweeb telling me that my computer has been wiped. Stopping the mirror halfway through caused the partition to fail or something like that.

As far as I can tell, the shop is completely, totally, 100% at fault for wiping your hard drive. I know that they probably have something saying "it's not our fault if your repair goes wrong", but saying that you can take the computer, and THEN saying that taking it is what ruined it sounds like you have a legitimate complaint. At the very least, I'd send an angry letter and see what happens.

As to your computer screen going black when you install SP1, that really is weird. What graphics card have you got? And have you ever updated the drivers?

Regarding automatic updates: you can install them manually, y'know. If you're worried, then only install ones that have been on the web-site for a few days. That should give them enough time to be fully tested.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally don't see a problem at all with that notice on the main page. I just ignore it.

I have tried various browsers but IE in its current form is the one that works best for me on my current machine. All the alternatives except for Opera (which I sometimes use for a change) run terribly slow so I see no reason to change to a different browser permanently. Plus I have never had any problems with security issues as I still use Windows 98 which hackers don't seem to bother about any longer.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
As far as I can tell, the shop is completely, totally, 100% at fault for wiping your hard drive. I know that they probably have something saying "it's not our fault if your repair goes wrong", but saying that you can take the computer, and THEN saying that taking it is what ruined it sounds like you have a legitimate complaint. At the very least, I'd send an angry letter and see what happens.

As to your computer screen going black when you install SP1, that really is weird. What graphics card have you got? And have you ever updated the drivers?

Regarding automatic updates: you can install them manually, y'know. If you're worried, then only install ones that have been on the web-site for a few days. That should give them enough time to be fully tested.

Well, yes it was the computer shop's store - more specifically it was the dweeb. He knew what had happened was wrong, yet he denied any culpability. He was a moron. ANYWAY - that was about 2 years ago now - so in computer terms, ancient history.

I never thought about the graphics card and checking for updates.

I have an Nvidia G-force 4. 64 Mb

I think the update is one that you can't avoid having before you download the next updates.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey MinutiaeMan, Toadkiller, you guys ever notice how shiny Safari is? Seen that new iMac G5? That's pretty shiny too. Anyway, it sure is rough only having such a tiny fraction of the market share. It seems like we really miss out on things like futzing around with broken patches, viruses, and spyware.

Also, what exactly does 'execution of arbitrary code' mean? Does the malicious site designer get to arbitrarily specify what that code is? Or does it just fuck things up for the unfortunate IE user by executing whatever code it stumbles upon in some drunken-IE-buffer-overflow binge? Because maybe the Flare warning should go one further and go ahead and show IE users what could happen.

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps