Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Oh, come off it! (Page 8)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Oh, come off it!
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
What's a tab, for instance?

An Eighties low-joule carbonated cola beverage. [Big Grin]
My local grocery store still stocks those. [Eek!] Of course, it's only about 2 6-packs at a time. No telling how old they are...
Wow! I thought they were long gone. Gone the way of Eighties dance-based movies, leg warmers and fluoro-hair extensions! [Big Grin]

Does it still have the purpley/red packaging!?!

It WOULD be interesting to see how old they are - next time - check the 'bottling'/'manufacture' date.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My grocery store has Tab in twelve-packs. I actually drank 'em for a while, they're not bad. I seem to recall the video guys at Workcamp getting a picture of me drinking one. I must get a copy of that video some time...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Does it still have the purpley/red packaging!?!
[/QB]

Purpley/red? I always considered them pink. But yeah, they look exactly the same as in the 80's.

B.J.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well - a pinkish/purplish red/maroon.

--------------------

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I do the same thing he does (obsessively), but I am open to change if you or any other anti-IE'er can convince me that despite all those measures I am doomed to lose something important before Longhorn is out.
http://www.gulftech.org/?node=downloads

Download "jpegcompoc.zip", then open the JPG file it contains in IE. Beware that I don't actually know what the proof of concept does. I'd imagine it's not malicious. In any case, you might want to consider not actually doing it.

No firewall, no anti-virus suite, nothing can protect you from that if you aren't patched. Even then, it takes awareness of the problem and/or automatic updates being installed either with or without your knowledge.

This is hardly the first major IE problem, and will certainly not be the last. IE is a walking security hole, and installing twenty levels of web filtering just so you can use IE is insanity to me.

The choice is obvious. Stop using IE, and stop using products that use IE.

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I am going to test my luck purposely downloading a security risk. However, Charles, I trust your knowledge on IT matters, so I will go with Firefox until Longhorn makes its way out. I'm not nuts about the look of the interface, but safety first. (Does anyone know of a IE skin for Firefox?) Thanks for answering my question.

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Double post. Feel free to delete, Sol System.
Charles Capps
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://pages.prodigy.net/zzxc/ieskin/
David Sands
Member # 132

Thanks, Charles.

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really mind the layout of Firefox so far, apart from it would be handy to have a History button, not just a link on the Go menu. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

David Sands
Member # 132

Lee: if you right-click on the toolbars, you can find History in the customize menu. (That worried me for a second too when I didn't see it at first.)

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah. I still have a lot to play around with, it seems. Now if only the whole browser didn't freeze for about 2 seconds every time I save an image. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Charles Capps
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

That might be the effect of twiddling the download manager - it sometimes takes a few seconds to pop open.
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, IMHO the firefox interface is much better than IE...

I must be the only person on earth who hates the IE favourites setup with a blazing passion..?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

This firefox - can you import your IE favourites (grrr Netscape bookmarks)?

Speaking of which what is the latest Netscape release - and is it any competition?

--------------------

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps