Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Oh, come off it! (Page 6)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Oh, come off it!
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shhh, we don't want to inspire Chuckles to go on a rampage.

Remember last time?

Yes, I'm very happy in my macheadedness (it even told me that's not a word) no malware to speak of... I'm tooling along on an old Cube though. No G5 for me, alas.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(There sure isn't any malware written for my Difference Engine either, and dig that Victorian design!)
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are unable to respond due to having been zinged! Oooh, the pain it hurts so much.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THE FIRST CUT WON'T HURT AT ALL

THE SECOND ONLY MAKES THEM WONDER

THE THIRD WILL HAVE THEM ON THEIR KNEES

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of getting zinged. I got my DSL hooked up today. So there's some Total Annihilation schooling in my near future. The only hangup is that while I'm consistently getting 2.5Mbps down, I'm currently getting about 0 bps up. SBC assures me they will be able to troubleshoot this issue tomorrow (just as soon as they can get their diagnostic tools working again). Instills tremendous confidence. Also, w/r/t topic, they insisted that I use Internet Explorer to register and troubleshoot the upload issue. I felt dirty.
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My DSL provider also claims that IE is needed to interact with the modem/their server. I find Safari works fine though....

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got cable internet, and it keeps trying to default to IE. Irritating, yes, because I've been a Mozilla user for a few months, so I don't even LIKE the IE interface anymore.. but it's a stubborn interaction, I tell ya... everytime I turn my computer on, it pops up with IE. Oh, well.... it's just an irritation, nothing to lose sleep over :-)
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam Xumucane:
Speaking of getting zinged. I got my DSL hooked up today. So there's some Total Annihilation schooling in my near future. The only hangup is that while I'm consistently getting 2.5Mbps down, I'm currently getting about 0 bps up.

Have you tried 'Net Limiter' - you can decrease the down to allow more up.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so I decided to try Firefox. It had been awhile since I'd played with an offspring of Mozilla, and after the discussion here and the realization that I didn't even have Opera handy, I said "what the hell".

Ye gods, this sucks. Oh, it's way, way, way better than it used to be, but damn.

Just to get more than a barebones featureless wretched browser, I had to go rummage through various browser extensions, downloading whatever seemed useful based off a short description and no screenshots. Some of these are nice, some not.

The tabbing behavior is unpleasant . . . unlike the rough standards seen in Opera, Slimbrowser, or MyIE2, this seems a rather haphazard tabbing theory. No tab-naming option. No tab-moving option. The tab line disappears completely if you have one window open, meaning everything moves whenever you open a window. And, just to get some semblance of control over it, I had to load an extension. Hell, the option wasn't even engaged when I first loaded the thing.

The speed issue is questionable. Going to a new site involves the browser slowly rendering the images, despite my fast download speeds (I found an extension to test my bandwidth, which was kinda neat, but shows that despite 900Kbps, things are still a little slow-feeling). Perhaps it's just the way this works . . . showing the image as it downloads line by line, versus popping up the complete image or larger blocks thereof . . . and that is rather distracting in any case. Further, I've noticed that images don't seem to cache until you hit a page a few times. While this makes sense in theory, it doesn't work too well in practice.

You can't just go to a website if you paste it in to the bar, and the old "Go" button is only optional. As a result, keyboard-free surfing for the power-potato is not an option, unless you grab the proper extension. Further, if you close a tab, the address of the old tab shows up in the address bar . . . not the address of the active tab. As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure offhand how to make it show "flare.solareclipse..." right now, instead of the last closed tab. I can duplicate the tab, but that hardly makes sense as a requirement.

Though promising freedom, Firefox limits a lot of things I'm used to having control over. From aesthetic issues to actual usability concerns, there's a lot here that is in need of work. I like a wider Google search bar and the option to move all the various toolbars around, for instance, but here you're fairly well locked into just a few permutations. I like to be able to customize the browser into a very tight assortment at the top, a status bar below, and no unneeded bits or clutter in my way.

I like to be able to skin the browser almost completly, so that I can have something functional and aesthetically pleasing. Oh yeah, and though this isn't the browser's problem, whose bright idea was it to show almost no images of any of the downloadable skins? I mean, really.

Only the extensions save the day, but the fact that much of their capability wasn't present to begin with is quite worrisome.

Anyway, I'm a few hours into it now, which is more than most people would give. I realize I'm picky about my browser . . . hell, I use two different tabbed-browsing IE-rips, one at work and one at home, just so I can do exactly what I want.

What I'd love is a completely-user-reconfigurable browser. Every function, every aesthetic choice, open for my choosing. I want to be able to determine which menus show up on the menu bar, and in what order. I want to pick the order in my right-click dialog boxes, and if I right click tabs, and so on and so forth. But these are things that do not exist.

I have tried Firefox, and tested it in various maneuvers, and it is not merely different . . . it is inferior. To be sure, it at least rivals if not surpasses Opera, and as with virtually any browser it spanks Netscape, but still. I will brave the danger of the red box, and return to my SlimBrowser ways. Yea, though many a hacker attacks its IE core and many a peculiar claim about its own dangerousness due to these attackers comes up, I know that I will surf faster and more efficiently, for SlimBrowser is with me.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The tab line disappears completely if you have one window open..."

Unless, y'know, you toggle that option...

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What I'd love is a completely-user-reconfigurable browser. Every function, every aesthetic choice, open for my choosing. I want to be able to determine which menus show up on the menu bar, and in what order. I want to pick the order in my right-click dialog boxes, and if I right click tabs, and so on and so forth. But these are things that do not exist.
In other words, you want the complete nightmare that comes with a "completely custom" user interface. Firefox isn't about that. It's about being a good, "simple" browser for REAL end-users, not control freaks. You'll never find what you want with Firefox.

I'm perfectly satisfied with the stock experience, and only have two extensions - Live HTTP Headers (useful for debugging, which is kinda my job), and Spellbound (speel checker).

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
speel checker?

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. He dosen't speel so gud.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll never find what you want with Firefox.

Or anything else, likely.

And I like the plugin for opening new tabs instead of new windows.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tis glorious indeed.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps