Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Southeast Asian Earthquake (Page 3)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Southeast Asian Earthquake
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shrug*

Why is it not helpful?
A public outcry might convince the US to give an amount more proportional to its GDP.

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am normally one of the first to gladly jump on the "bash Bush" (pun not intended) bandwagon, but here I'm just glad that so many people and countries are helping fight the effects of that catastrophe.

On the other hand, think what the war in Irak cost and compare that to some 33 Million$.
Doesn't one modern fighter plane alone cost far more?

Just a thought...

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Powers:
On the other hand, think what the war in Irak cost and compare that to some 33 Million$.
Doesn't one modern fighter plane alone cost far more?

Just a thought...

And a very good thought - screw war - it costs too much, both in materials and lives - spend money on something more worthwhile!

On the UK government note - Blair hasn't even cancelled his holiday for this (tosser) [Mad] and they'll need to do more than match the public's contribution to please us in Ilkeston - that's for sure. �25,000,000 - is that all they can spare? Come on Labour - put some fucking effort into it you lame wankers - people are dying out there!!!

Everyone I know - family and friends - have all donated at least �100 each to help - we just hope it'll buy aid that'll get there in time to save as many lives as possible! I saw this little girl on the TV last night and just cried. [Frown] [Frown]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
*shrug*

Why is it not helpful?
A public outcry might convince the US to give an amount more proportional to its GDP.

Er...yeah.
Mabye you should focus that "public outcry" on some of those other countries that actually have ties to Indonisia as compared to their GDP:
Saudi Arabia only sent $10 million and Spain sent 50 search dogs.
Go Spain! Those 50 dogs will doubtlessly make a big diffrence. [Roll Eyes]

As I said before- the money slated by the countries on that list is only the start, so dont get your panties in an twist just yet.

There are actually limits on how much initial money congress will allow to be sent to another country regardless of the situation.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akb1979:
�25,000,000 - is that all they can spare? Come on Labour - put some fucking effort into it you lame wankers - people are dying out there!!!

Eh?

quote:

The World Bank has announced that it is giving $250m to help victims while the UK increased its contribution to $96m, the biggest donation from an individual country.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4136153.stm
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
250 million!
Now that's a hell of a donation!

The skeptical, cynical part of me really wants to know where all this money is going and who is overseeing it.
Not the UN, I'd hope.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"So, the US is being 'stingy'...although the US is the single largest contributor to the relief efforts"

Well, the difference being that my comment was based on the Times' claim that we were giving them $15M. Which would have been less than Denmark, according to the BBC numbers. Obviously, things have changed.

(Or the Times got it wrong. Which, come to think of it, is probably even more likely.)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Ah...I see.
The Times may have "overlooked" the facts in their ongoing "coverage" of the Bush administartion and how they're worthless evil monsters.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Mabye you should focus that "public outcry" on some of those other countries that actually have ties to Indonisia as compared to their GDP:
Saudi Arabia only sent $10 million and Spain sent 50 search dogs.
Go Spain! Those 50 dogs will doubtlessly make a big diffrence. [Roll Eyes]

Well the people have gotta eat! [Wink]

Don't forget there are at least 12 countries affected by this

Indonesia
Sri Lanka
Thailand
India
Malaysia
Maldives

Burma
The Seychelles
Mauritius
Somalia
Kenya
Tanzania

From what I have seen/read, the last six had damage/casualties much less than the first six countries (I maybe wrong).

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

As I said before- the money slated by the countries on that list is only the start, so dont get your panties in an twist just yet.

There are actually limits on how much initial money congress will allow to be sent to another country regardless of the situation.

The Australian Government has upped it's aid to 35 million dollars.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, any information on the condition of the UK/US Indian Ocean Territory - which is somewhere south of India?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Times may have 'overlooked' the facts in their ongoing 'coverage' of the Bush administartion and how they're worthless evil monsters."

The what now? While the Washington Times is well known to have little use for reality, I'm confused as regards your accusing them of berating Bush. Is that some sort of sarcasm, or what?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

By the way, Amazon's collection is up over $7M (the average donation is over $67).
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Oh, any information on the condition of the UK/US Indian Ocean Territory - which is somewhere south of India?

British Indian Ocean Territory. Permanent population: 0, due to them being cleared out for a large US base. They got warned. No casualties that I know of.

Updated aid estimates:
World Bank: $250m
UK: $96m
Sweden: $75m
China: $60m
France: $56m
EU $44m
Netherlands: $36m
US: $35m
Canada: $33m
Japan: $30m
Australia: $27m
Denmark: $15.6m
Saudi Arabia: $10m
Norway: $6.6m
Taiwan: $5.1m
Finland: $3.4m
Kuwait: $2.1m
UAE: $2m
Again, from the BBC

You can partly see why the US is reluctant to increase it's donations; it has no historical ties or responsibilities to the area, unlike the UK, Netherlands and France. It would have been nice if this hadn't become an issue but it seems politics will infect anything, given half a chance...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
You can partly see why the US is reluctant to increase it's donations; it has no historical ties or responsibilities to the area, unlike the UK, Netherlands and France. It would have been nice if this hadn't become an issue but it seems politics will infect anything, given half a chance...

Add to that a Dollar that's fallen through the basement, a president that thinks the deficit HE made will just go away and that many in his own party are starting to oppose his initiaves.

Plus, that money could go to strengthening the utopia that is Iraq.

Nim, I thought you referred to the New York Times- my bad for not reading more carefully (I was at work).

Last night (again at work) I heard two businessmen (mabye mid-forties) talking about how it's "Earth is like a dog shaking off fleas" and how "the planet's too overpopulated as it is".

That put a wrap on any hopeful humanitarian spin my posting on the subject.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't talked about the Times, that was TSN.

quote:
That put a wrap on any hopeful humanitarian spin my posting on the subject.
Can you clarify that? You need more words in that sentece until it can end.

What it says now is that by listening to these two men, you were convinced not to keep a humanitarian stance regarding this disaster?
I can't believe that because I don't believe you are that much a cynical bastard, unlike those two creeps on your workplace.

I would've had no problem walking over to the man who said that and break his nose, I would feel extremely justified.

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps