Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Southeast Asian Earthquake (Page 6)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Southeast Asian Earthquake
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it weird how the tidal wave sort of affected Malaysia and Thailand around the otherside of Sumatra - did it swirl/bend around the northern tip of Ache and bang into the Malay peninsular or did it go over the top of the entire Island of Sumatra!?! Surely not the second option!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mabye the shockwave went through/under the island to make a second wave on the other side?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Praxis? "Turn her into the wave!" [Smile]

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The animation Jay linked to shows the initial state of the tsunami as a massive arc, not a dot. Perhaps it hugged the contour of the fault line or something (?).

I was concerned that we might have a tragic twin tower collapsing echo with the Petrona Towers in Kuala Lumpur, but I guess they came through alright. The first maps I saw put the epicenter further north, nearer the norther tip of Sumatra. Egads. It's like my brain refuses to acknowledge that all those white boxes and bags along the beaches hold what used to be people.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Was watching the news today and and the destructive force of the tidal wave was akin to something like 6000 nuclear weapons!

Interesting link from some online UK newspaper - gives a bit of a 'timeline' on the actions of the tsunami.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/environment/story.jsp?story=597257

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a pretty broad, manytiered article, but what's this?

quote:
there were few who realised the implications of nature's 9/11.
Ooh, way to spice things up, Hemingway. Really tactful.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Yeah and towards the end the author becomes a little preachy - I just wanted facts.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim':
That's a pretty broad, manytiered article, but what's this?

quote:
there were few who realised the implications of nature's 9/11.
Ooh, way to spice things up, Hemingway. Really tactful.
Wow- terrorists can cause major earthquakes?
Must be COBRA. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Interesting:

Refer back to my post made on the 29/12/04 here

And now scientists are wondering about the same thing in this article.

--------------------

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
As mentioned the US government has multiplied it's original donation ten-fold.

The Australian government has upped it's donation to $60 million

~3 dollars per Australian (pop 20 mil)
~57 cents per American. (pop 200 mil)

Tsk, tsk, no smiley face on your math test. By your figure of 200 million for the US, that would mean $1.75 per American, and the actual US population is around 295 million, so that would mean about $1.19 cents per American. Now whether that is still too low or not in your view is of course a legitimate opinion, but at least it's better than using false information to make a point, no?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

It was not intentionally false.

errr. 200,000,000/350,000,000 = .57142857

my 'rough' number for the pop of the USA was out - but the result is not much better still 84 cents per American compared to 3 dollars per Australian (that doesn't include the amount of private donations which have surpassed the government aide).

295,000,000/350,000,000 = .8428571

Not much better Ace.

So my information is not false, just not pedantic.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, .8428571 people per dollar? Not a very useful figure.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

hang on... oh LOL!

Sorry about that.

HAHAAH

US: 350,000,000/295,000,000 = $1.17 per person
AUS: 60,000,000/20,000,000 = $3 per person.

[Wink]

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Somehow, I doubt the needy care about the percentages here.

Besides, help (from everyone) is far more than money contributed: there's shelter, manpower, reconstruction, medical air, etc.

I heard the Army Corps of Engineers intend to build some temporary landing strips to break up the bottleneck in getting supplies in to affected areas.

Lotsa debris to clear though.

That (Canadian) idea of suspending all bebts to the countries hardest hit is a solid one.
Hope that pans out- or else they'll drop from "third world" to hopelessly destitute.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Well indeed - it was mainly a point brought up a few days after it happened - when the US had only pledged a pityful amount of aid. Something happened to day - a plane broke down on a landing strip in Aceh. Nothing could land.

Let's hope that the people in Aceh stop killing each other and rebuild a peaceful society after this disaster. The news said fighting had stopped in some areas - since there was no one left alive to fight - they had all been washed away.

--------------------

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps