Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Southeast Asian Earthquake (Page 5)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Southeast Asian Earthquake
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still cant figure out how that one guy in Kenya died...did he not evacuate after everyone else left?
Surfer mabye out for the big wave (sounds dumb, but we see them in every hurricane)?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great site:

Bit of pointless patriotism:

Australia is 1st in the world for these wonderfully varied topics (just a few):

1st in:

• Agriculture - Exports to USA - Nuts edible (per capita)
  • Labor - Hours worked
  • Mortality - Contact with marine animal
  • Lifestyle - Amphetamine use
  • Crime - Car thefts (per capita)
  • Mortality - Multiple gestation (per capita)
  • Education - Literacy - Total population

So does that make us over-worked, nut-producing, amphetamine abusing, dolphin-petting, twin-birthing, car theives - that can read well?

[Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long have you had that status line, Andy?
You reaper of the nuts edible, you.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol - heheh since this forum started actually! [Big Grin] Couldn't think of anything else to change it to.

--------------------

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I still cant figure out how that one guy in Kenya died...did he not evacuate after everyone else left?
Surfer mabye out for the big wave (sounds dumb, but we see them in every hurricane)?

Info on Kenya death

The only Kenyan who died was Samuel Njoroge, 20, a mechanic from Nairobi who was swimming at the time.

--------------------
Meh

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, who exports the most nuts inedible?
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:

Strangely enough: Also Australia...

-  -  -

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, yeah...150,000 is a lot of people... [Eek!]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

bX
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was one point where the count was in the low to mid 20,000s where I thought, "There's no way more than 100,000 died." 20,000 is A LOT of people. A profound tragedy. I can't imagine that many deaths or that level of destruction. Er... Now it's six times as many. I still can't quite get my head around it. All the way to Africa? Unfathomable.

So, I'm without television. Does anyone have a good link showing an animation of the tsunami's progression? Surely something like this must exist.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if there were any survivors from the island of Simeulue...it's right AT the epicenter.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Looking at this map it amazes me. Mostly due to how wide spread it is. It includes both Command Fifth and Seventh Fleet. I've been to a couple of those countries; Seychelles, India, Singapore and passed by Indonesia and Somalia. I can't seem to find any unclassified info about ships in the area. While around the horn of Africa we had waves up to 50 feet hit the ship.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Tidal waves sometimes appear as only small swells to ship at sea though..they dont become deadly untill they reach shore.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Member # 419

Thanks, Jay. My god that's horrifying. I mean... god.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Balaam Xumucane:
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:

Strangely enough: Also Australia...

LOL!

Classic. Funny thing is - why is it do things like Yahoo Serious and that Jacko guy and for that matter Steve Irwin and err someone else get popular overseas for crap - never really heard of in Australia before that. Although that Jacko guy was a footballer or something.

--------------------

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps