Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Best and Worst TIme Travel Stories (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Best and Worst TIme Travel Stories
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Splitting from the sequels thread, I want to hear everyone's suggestions for the best and worst time travel stories they've ever seen, heard, or read. And why. They could be movies, episodes of a given series, books, comics, etc.

Go!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As much as I hate the rest of the dreck he vomits forth, I really love Dean Koontz's Lightning.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really liked the 2000 film "Frequency," which I think is underrated.

--------------------
Meh

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to the Future wasn't all that good.

I didn't think much of Frequency either.

Timline was okay enough I bought the video well after reading the book.

The Final Count Down as pretty good.

That one with the black comic. I should remember at least his name, but it is evading me right now. It was interesting.

That Bruce Campbell movie, like his others, were at the lower end of so-so.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terminator, while bad, did have a good premise. Terminator 2 was much better, though it takes some convolution to make the time travel make sense after the first one. Primer was excellent. And just in case anyone is interested:

http://www.mjyoung.net/time/index.htm

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Visitor" Deep Space Nine
"Visionary" Deep Space Nine
"Trials and Tribblations" Deep Space Nine (not really for the time travel twist - but it was done for the best of reasons and was fun).

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember a time travel story where someone goes back in time and kills Hitler which somehow changed enough events to allow the Germans to win WW1 and take it out on the Frenchies which led to an embittered youth named Charles DeGualle to become a ruthless dictator and commit genocide while starting WW2.

Ken Chalker wrote "Downtiming the Nightside" which had some pretty twisted premises.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Final Countdown, IMHO, had no plot. It was simply "Hey, there's a storm. It pulled us back to Pearl Harbor 1941! Wow, there's that storm again. Hey, we're back home."

I liked the Back to the Future stories. Especially part 2. I think it worked well within its own continuity. The Bill and Ted movies were like that as well.

As far as books.... Poul Anderson wrote The Time Patrol series. I really liked that. It dealt with various time cops protecting the timeline from people changing events. Had quite a bit of history in it.

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Final Countdown existed solely to have a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier contemplate taking on the entire Japanese navy. It would have been better if that had actually occured in the movie. [Smile]
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a good time-travel story.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recall a hread here wherein some poster said their uncle won atime machine off ebay and I said something witty and then there was this dead hooker...

Cant find the thread though.
Mabye someone went back in time and prevented me from posting in the thread, the, because....er...I was shielded from changes to the timeline by the uique anti-entropic chemicals in my blood, I'm the only one that remembers it.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Omega
Member # 91

Babylon 5 had a good time travel element to it.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. Anything with that talking monkey Zathros was shit.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flight of the Navigator was totally awesome. Not that I'd really consider it a time-travel film though.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zathros has had difficult life, and likely Zathros will have difficult death, but at least there is symmetry. No-one care for Zathros...

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps