Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Best and Worst TIme Travel Stories (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Best and Worst TIme Travel Stories
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The reason something bad happened to the Jennifers (unconvincingly portrayed by Elizabeth Shue) is because neither one was aware of what was going on, I think. The problem came when the two versions of Jennifer recognized they were the same person without understanding it.
Yeah, and especially when they passed out. If young Jennifer had hit her head and died, you've got your universe destruction right there. Same thing would have happened if young Biff had hit that manure truck differently the second time and gotten killed.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Say, there's a thought. "The Jetsons" as a study in class-based oppression. I like that.

Yes, but oppression by whom.
The ground might be the place to be and not shunned in some stratospheric isolated building.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember your "Cloud Minders,' good sir! Obviously Cogswell & Spacely got their cogs & sprockets from SOMEwhere, & since those sky buildings seemed to be primarily "office space"....well. You draw your own conclusions.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I draw plenty. Things may SEEM all fancy-free for the Jetsons, but imagine the veritable rain of falling bodies from the sky due to the complete lack of ANY visible safety equipment on the walkways, flying cars, windows, freaking DOGWALKS, and other common household items. Just imagine the blood-soaked wasteland down beneath those crowds.

Eep, op, ork, ah-ah, folks.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with most time-travel stories is that they don't work. Time travel itself is not a dramatic storytelling device.

There are two leading theories on how time travel might work.

One is the steady-state hypothesis, where, say, you go back in time and anything you might try to do creates the conditions that led up to your departure and nothing is changed because your changes are already history.

The other is the multiverse hypothesis, in which every decision gate faced by elementary particles in the universe play out simultaneously from the Big Bang, each splitting of two new universes where each result plays out. So if you go back in time, the universe will carry on without you, but the instant you arrive in the past, you alter the quantum state of the universe and a new reality is split off that is now diverging from the one you left. You can fiddle to your heart's content, and it won't matter a jot to the present you left.

So Back to the Future wouldn't work. Star Trek uses both models, and badly, throughout the entire multi-series arc. On the one hand, you have "City on the Edge of Forever". On the other, you have "Mirror, Mirror". And don't get me started on Star Trek IV. The best-done time travel story I've seen on screen was TNG's "Time's Arrow", where the time travel was incidental, and the drama made use of it (Samuel Clemens on the Enterprise -- loved it), but didn't revolve around the mechanism itself, as it did in, say, "City...".

The absolute best time travel story I've ever run across, period, is Spider Robinson's "All You Zombies", where -- thanks to time travel (and a sex-change operation) -- the main character is his own mother and father, as well as the bartender at the place he's drinking, and, for that matter, every other person in the story. It's great.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The absolute best time travel story I've ever run across, period, is Spider Robinson's 'All You Zombies'..."

1. Already mentioned.
2. Robert Heinlein.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
I draw plenty. Things may SEEM all fancy-free for the Jetsons, but imagine the veritable rain of falling bodies from the sky due to the complete lack of ANY visible safety equipment on the walkways, flying cars, windows, freaking DOGWALKS, and other common household items. Just imagine the blood-soaked wasteland down beneath those crowds.

Eep, op, ork, ah-ah, folks.

Mark

I wonder why nobody from the Jetsons inhabited the ground anymore. I theorize that years of pollution and nuclear fallout has left the Earth uninhabitable save for the skies and so mankind has taken to live in high rise buildings that reach high into the stratosphere.

Eep, op, ork, ah-ah indeed.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. I must have missed the post that said we weren't allowed to mention our favourite if it had already been posted. [Razz]

2. So fucking sorry. All my books have been in storage for over two years now, and I read that back when I was reading a lot from both authors.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apology fucking accepted.

Wasn't there an episode of "The Jetsons" where it started raining, so someone pushed a button, and the building rose even higher until it was above the rain clouds? I always figured that was the reason they were up in the air.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was Harvey Birdman Tim... again I will bring up this hilarious show. The BEST of them all is the episodes where the Jetsons come back in time to sue Earth of the past for causing the pollution of the future. I nearly fell apart laughing so hard when the Jetsons tried to walk to Harvey's desk (but there was no moving walk way). HAHEHEAHEH! You have to see it... anyway you can...

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey check out The Jetsons' Wikipedia Page

I didn't know that it only ran for one year from '62 to '63 and then 2 more seasons in the '80s.

I thought to myself - it's a wonder they haven't made a live action movie yet - but check the page out - they are.

Oh and there is this little tid-bit from the trivia section:

"George's second cousin Phil Richbourg grew up beneath the smog and pollution on Earth's surface."

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
So Back to the Future wouldn't work.

Actually, I thought BTTF was suprisingly consistent, if you look at it as a single timeline, but changes in the past take time to ripple forward. This even (mostly) explains why they went from 2015 to the Biff-owned 1985. They left 2015 before the ripple reached far enough forward, but it had already gotten to 1985. I'm not saying this theory is absolutely perfect for BTTF, but it's the most consistent IMO.

B.J.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
On the other, you have "Mirror, Mirror"...

I know this issue has been discussed before, but the Mirror Universe is NOT just a quantum variation of our own time line. There is simply no way that things would end up so differently, but still contain all the same players. The MU has to be a fundamentally different reality with no common point in time with our own universe.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the begining there was a great void.......

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
if you look at it as a single timeline, but changes in the past take time to ripple forward.
Time?
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps