Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Best and Worst TIme Travel Stories (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Best and Worst TIme Travel Stories
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Veers:
I really liked the 2000 film "Frequency," which I think is underrated.

Same here. What made it good though was the performances of the two male leads, Dennis Quaid (always underrated it seams) and James Caviezel.
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
Terminator, while bad, did have a good premise. Terminator 2 was much better, though it takes some convolution to make the time travel make sense after the first one. Primer was excellent. And just in case anyone is interested:

http://www.mjyoung.net/time/index.htm

Terminator was bad!? Blasphemy!

quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:
Back to the Future wasn't all that good.

More blasphemy! Back to the Future was a CLASSIC. If nothing else than for Lloyd's reaction when the flaming wind up car hits the pile of oily rags. Funniest gasp ever.

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
No. Anything with that talking monkey Zathros was shit.

Poor Zathrus. But don't worry, Zathrus dose not mind. Zathrus used to everyone walking on him.

quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Flight of the Navigator was totally awesome. Not that I'd really consider it a time-travel film though.

Another 80's classic from my childhood. It taught me what a twinkie was without ever having seen one.

I'm not sure it qualifies as time travel in the strictest sense, but I though Butterfly Effect was rather good. More so if you get the version with the darker ending (I shan't spoil for those who don't know.)

Twelve Monkeys was, like Time Bandits, the kind of time travel movie only a former Python could make and get away with it.
In both instances, you're not sure if anything in the film is real, or the product of the main character's imagination.

It's not a film (yet) but I quite enjoyed "The Time Traveller�s Wife" as a unique look at time travel as a medical affliction and the effect it would have on the traveller's lifestyle.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While many hate it, I rather liked the last version of Wells' The Time Machine.
Again, it's not really anything like the book except for broad strokes, but it's still above adverage....and the model of the new time machine is a fucking work of art.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn you Reverend. I read through this whole thing, waiting patiently to say "The Butterfly Effect" rocked. And you beat me to it.

"The Butterfly Effect" Rocked.

The new "Time Machine" was a movie I wanted to like alot, but couldn't because, well, it sucked. I loved the time machine itself, and I dug the part where he goes forward right before the moon blows up. I thought that was cool. And the world changing effects were always awesome.

But my problems with it are these:

1) The moronic video librarian.
2) The fact that the moronic video librarian still works after thousands of years.
3) The moronic video librarian mentions the book that the movie is based on. You can't do that and expect us to take the continuity of the story seriously.
4) The ending doesn't make any sense. While creepy, Jeremy Irons doesn't really serve any purpose.
5) The main character tries to save his fiance a couple of times, then quickly gives up on the basis that it can't be done and goes in search of an answer to why, which is never really answered. Then he decides to stay in the future with ChainMailJigglyBoobs (I would too).

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever read Stephen Baxter's the time ships, a folow up to the time machine?
Depressing as usual for Stephen, but as good as ever.

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Primer was excellent."

Huh? I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on!

--------------------
Meh

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zathras.

And, although it wasn't very good, I quite enjoyed the miniseries The Triangle (shown last December in the States) which aired here last weekend. Even if they did try to tie it all in to the Philadelphia Experiment.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While it's not technically a time travel story, I'd nominate the "Lost in Space" movie for one of the worst uses of time travel elements.

I liked the casting, I liked the production design, I liked the special effects, for the most part... but the parts that dealt with time manipulation were just really poorly written.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me the H.G.Wells novel is the best time travel stories. The most recent movie was crap, however the time machine did look nice as Jason pointed out. The Time Ships was also good but had alot in it to consider so I have to reread it again some day.

Also the Twilight Zone had some really good time travel stories.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked everything about Lost In Space until the time bubble showed up. Then the movie stopped making sense and started making me throw up.

Hey, anyone remember "Freejack"? Emilio Estevez is a racer that gets sucked a few years into the future where he's supposed to be a new body for someone? Not strictly about time travel, but yeah - it sucked.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I remember Freejack, yah. I think I watched it in college. Basically, in the future, it becomes standard practice for the dying rich to pull people out of the past at the moment of their death, so the past doesn't miss them, but they get a brand new body for themselves. Emilio escapes and has adventures.

Ooh... what about Timecop? Not completely awful, I guess. Jean Claude does some pretty cool moves as well as Mia Sara... drool. But what happens to the pod when they go back? And how do they end up back in it when they return?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anyone familiar with Robert Heinlein's "�All You Zombies�"? I read it for my "Time Travel and Metaphysics" class a couple of years ago. Very bizarre, but highly recommended.

(This class was the same one where we watched Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure as course material. Now there's another great time travel story.) [Big Grin]

Edit: Damn UBB can't handle character entities in a URL! Take the first article on the disambiguation page linked above.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Damn you Reverend. I read through this whole thing, waiting patiently to say "The Butterfly Effect" rocked. And you beat me to it.

"The Butterfly Effect" Rocked.

The new "Time Machine" was a movie I wanted to like alot, but couldn't because, well, it sucked. I loved the time machine itself, and I dug the part where he goes forward right before the moon blows up. I thought that was cool. And the world changing effects were always awesome.

But my problems with it are these:

1) The moronic video librarian.
2) The fact that the moronic video librarian still works after thousands of years.
3) The moronic video librarian mentions the book that the movie is based on. You can't do that and expect us to take the continuity of the story seriously.
4) The ending doesn't make any sense. While creepy, Jeremy Irons doesn't really serve any purpose.
5) The main character tries to save his fiance a couple of times, then quickly gives up on the basis that it can't be done and goes in search of an answer to why, which is never really answered. Then he decides to stay in the future with ChainMailJigglyBoobs (I would too).

Okay, really valid points on 1,2 and 3- Orlando Jones should not have been in that movie and the happy ending bit sorta blows- no attempt to undo the world's devestation?!?

I really liked Irons in his role- he knows what's going on and knows why the Traveller cant save his fiance' (causality).You really get the feeling that Irons' character is starved to talk with someone of the traveller's mental capacity (all his morlocks are morons) and wants him to stay.
A very cool notion that the Morlocks have "hives".

I really liked that the Traveller could not save his woman- it's not clear how many times he tries, but after seeing the woman you love get killed over and over, it's no wonder he stopped going back.

hmmm...upon reflection, it's mostly the first half of the movie that's cool- the Eloi are waaaay to self sufficent for the Morlock/Eloi symbiosis to work like it does in the book.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time Bandits, anything with midgets eating rats is good.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm..."All You Zombies"...

OK, Millennium. Not Lance Henriksen, but Kris Kristofferson & Cheryl Ladd. For those unfamiliar, the IMDb summary: "An investigator seeking the cause of an airline disaster discovers the involvement of an organisation of time travellers from a future Earth irreparably polluted who seek to rejuvenate the human race from those about to die in the past. Based on a novel by John Varley."

Not ENTIRELY time travel, but has a plot set in motion by it: Making History by Stephen Fry, sent to me in the klink by MagiC (lovely lass) & I love it so.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Hmmm... I think I actually understand the order of events in Zombies from the Wiki entry. I may just have to see if I can find that, though... sounds pretty good.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps