Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Best and Worst TIme Travel Stories (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Best and Worst TIme Travel Stories
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Hmmm... I think I actually understand the order of events in Zombies from the Wiki entry. I may just have to see if I can find that, though... sounds pretty good.

Yeah, me too. Sounds almost like something Phillip K Dick would write.

I'm on a bit of a Heinlein roll at the moment. I just re-read Starship Troopers, Citizen of the Galaxy (my favourite of his so far) and am about half way through Puppet Masters.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot that "--All You Zombies--" had my mom's birthday as one of the dates.

Heinlein & time travel? Time Enough For Love onwards. Awesome. Also, "For Us, The Living.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why bother reading Heinlein when his movies are so accurate to the novels?

..er....as "accurate" as Stephen King's anyhow.

(snicker!)

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that First Contact and The Voyage Home were also two good Time-travel movies.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone read Timeline by Michael Crichton? The book, like all of MC's work is pure gold. However the movie adaptaion kind of left me feeling dissapointed.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing I don't like about Back to the Future 3 is why didn't they simply go to the cave where Doc Brown hid his DeLorean and grab what they needed to patch up the DeLorean Marty used? Then in 1955 when Marty and Doc found the cave DeLorean they could easily replace those parts which would still Marty to use it to go back to 1885.

In BttF 2 they establish that when a person encounters their past/future counterpart something bad can happen. Only doesn't when 2015 and 1955 Biff meet. Might be due to the fact the DeLorean exists in four different places at the same time. First when Marty uses it, then again when future Biff uses it, again when Marty and Doc try to undo future Biff's actions, and the one in cave.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, what they needed was gasoline, and you don't want to leave gasoline in a car for seventy years. Ruins the engine, I think. Doc had to have drained it before burying the car. Probably used the gasoline somewhere else by then.
Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Has anyone read Timeline by Michael Crichton? The book, like all of MC's work is pure gold.
I had problems with the "shrinking" aspect of the time travel process, especially the descriptions of what the heroes saw during the procedure. You simply won't see anything if your eyes are smaller than the wavelength of visible light. Additionally, just like in Prey, Crichton gave away the "surprise" villain less than halfway through the book. The author must not think too highly of our deductive skills when he gives so many clues throughout the story.

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Da_bang80 made me chortle insanely by actually beliveing that:
The book, like all of MC's work is pure gold.

AHA!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! HAHAHAHAHA! HAHAHA!! Ha...heeheeheeheeheehee...heehee...uh..hee....*cough* Mm. Yeah. Sorry.

Michael Crichton has not produced anything worthwhile in about 20 years. I dropped him after reading Disclosure & hurling the book across the room in a fit of lackluster disgusted rage. One of my fondest, proudest memories is the fact that I was able to tell him off in person while at work 5� years ago using a "premature ejaculation' metaphor. Or maybe it was a simile. Perhaps a simile.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
Is anyone familiar with Robert Heinlein's "�All You Zombies�"? I read it for my "Time Travel and Metaphysics" class a couple of years ago. Very bizarre, but highly recommended.

(This class was the same one where we watched Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure as course material. Now there's another great time travel story.) [Big Grin]

Edit: Damn UBB can't handle character entities in a URL! Take the first article on the disambiguation page linked above.

Hmm interesting story but why wouldn't a person recognize their younger self even if they were of a different sex. Oh well guess I'll have to read the story. By the way does anyone know of a current magazine that publishes sci-fi like magazines in the 50's and 60's.
Shik
Member # 343

Well, there's Asimov's Science Fiction, The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, Analog Science Fiction & Fact...

Amazing what one finds when one searches for science fiction magazines.

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you shik
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Or, you know, goes to the bookstore.)

Bones of the Earth by Michael Swanwick is a good novel which I've recommended here before.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of Back to the Future... it's 9 years till 2015... where is my hover-board!?! Where is my self-drying jacket!?! Where are my flying cars? and Is anyone going to open a Cafe Eighties. Oh and dust-jackets for books have to fall by the wayside!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's times like this it occurs to me that we were lied to by The Jetsons. According to that show we were suppose to be tooling around in flying cars by now. You see any flying cars lately? That's the problem with TV, it always lies to us.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps