Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Best and Worst TIme Travel Stories (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Best and Worst TIme Travel Stories
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to watch "Harvey Birdman: Attournet At Law" and what ACTUALLY happened to the Jetsons - classic!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen Hervey Birdman. Funny show.

The Jurassic Park Books/Movies are sort of like time travel. Not in the sense that you step into a machine and get zapped to the past. But more like they brought the past to the present.

Also, that one Star Trek movie where they go back in time to save the whales. I can't remember which one, I think it was the fourth one. That was a funny movie.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
It's times like this it occurs to me that we were lied to by The Jetsons. According to that show we were suppose to be tooling around in flying cars by now. You see any flying cars lately? That's the problem with TV, it always lies to us.

I think they are actually working on the flying car. Of course making one that works is one thing, making one safe and affordable is something else alltogether.
Imagine the traffic problems they'd cause though, what happens when some idiot though he could make it to work with only five quid in the tank? Messy.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We'll never have flying cars- so many assholes cant drive on roads already -with their cell phones and GPS and general stupidity- that given the whole sky to crash around in is a horrid idea.

Here in South Florida, we had a woman crash her SUV into six cars (SIX!) while on her phone.
She lost control of her SUV after hitting the first car and never thought to put down the phone to, you know, regain control of her vehicle.
Bitch did not even lose her liscence.

(steps off soapbox)

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hobbes, think LCAC.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It's the year 2000, but where are the flying cars? I was promised flying cars! I don't see ANY flying cars! Why? Why? Why? Because millions of people all over the world can work together on the Web, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You don't need flying cars....but you will need a different kind of software."

As one reviewer said about that ad spot, "The flying-cars spot, for instance, plays to the viewer's weariness of dumbass prognostication. That seems like a reasonable instinct: Pie-in-the-sky predictions of the sort that used to be limited to the World's Fair are now pretty much inescapable, so a small dose of actual skepticism seems like an interesting gambit. But it's a very small dose, because it turns out that the only reason we don't have flying cars is that the Internet is actually better than flying cars. There are still no limits to what technology can accomplish. So, I guess those suckers stuck in traffic on the bridge just haven't yet taken full advantage of IBM software. Or something."

Tales of Future Past is a neat little site that collects all those funny prognostications for our comedic review.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny I remember that commercial. I used to raise my hand up in the air whenever I saw it and say,"Damn Right". I guess that the reason why is that when it comes down too it flying cars are impracting for the reasons stated above. We wish for things like flying cars and transporters because they seem ideal in a particular situation we may be in, yet we fail to realize that if released to the public, they may do little to improve quality of life and may in fact make it worse. So the question really is not what we can do with technology, but why do it at all?
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's times like this it occurs to me that we were lied to by The Jetsons. According to that show we were suppose to be tooling around in flying cars by now. You see any flying cars lately? That's the problem with TV, it always lies to us.

Yeah, Notice that there are no ethnic groups in either the Flinstones or the Jetsons? What type of message is THAT?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When we successfully manipulate gravity - THEN we'll have flying cars.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The message is that Hanna-Barbera hates spics, niggers, Kikes, fags, chinks, gooks, wetbacks, micks, Commies, dykes, towelheads, Nips, wogs, injuns, Krauts, & pineapples. Oh, AND the damn dirty Belgians. All have been removed from the gloriously Caucasian world.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you missed a few, but hanna-barbera didn't.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The message is that Hanna-Barbera hates spics, niggers, Kikes, fags, chinks, gooks, wetbacks, micks, Commies, dykes, towelheads, Nips, wogs, injuns, Krauts, & pineapples. Oh, AND the damn dirty Belgians. All have been removed from the gloriously Caucasian world."

I hate to tell you this, but three of those are caucasian, and three aren't even race- or nation-based.

Also : "pineapple"? I can only assume the implication is "Polynesian", and state that that must be the least original attempt at a racial slur of all time.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In BttF 2 they establish that when a person encounters their past/future counterpart something bad can happen. Only doesn't when 2015 and 1955 Biff meet.

The reason something bad happened to the Jennifers (unconvincingly portrayed by Elizabeth Shue) is because neither one was aware of what was going on, I think. The problem came when the two versions of Jennifer recognized they were the same person without understanding it. Old Biff new he was talking to his past self, and Young Biff was too stupid to see the resemblance. I always thought that was the implication, since they made such a big deal of it earlier.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
The message is that Hanna-Barbera hates spics, niggers, Kikes, fags, chinks, gooks, wetbacks, micks, Commies, dykes, towelheads, Nips, wogs, injuns, Krauts, & pineapples. Oh, AND the damn dirty Belgians. All have been removed from the gloriously Caucasian world.

Or possibly the whites in Jetsons/Flinstone land killed off all the other races with their clublike or super-pointy noses.

Or mabye the other races in Jetsons just live on the fucking ground. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say, there's a thought. "The Jetsons" as a study in class-based oppression. I like that.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps