Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I've got gas this morning! (Page 8)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: I've got gas this morning!
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know...I was answering in a semi-sarcastic way...

My dad has decided that he is going to fill up the car, and the boat, and then a bunch of gas cans before we leave, to take with us, so that we don't have to fill up in Canada. We'll still probably need to fill up during the week, but at least it won't be as much as we normally have to buy while we're up there.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why my dad has a 90gal tank in the back of his truck. He fills it in the US and rarely has to buy diesel when he's home.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it normally takes us a tank and a quarter to get to our vacation lodge, but it might be more, since we're pulling a heavier boat this year. The boat is pretty good on gas, but I forsee needing to fill it at least once. We'll probably spend over $200 ( USD & CAD) on gas alone next week.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oil price dropped $23 a barrel (16%) but on the other hand the world trade negotiations that have been going on for 7 years just collapsed. So, good news and possibly bad news for the economy and fuel/food/prostitution prices.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our local station has dropped petrol again, so we're now down to £1.10 a litre. I wish I'd written down the formula to convert that to $ per gallon, but I'm sure someone can manage it.

Diesel is more expensive than petrol over here too, but about 10-15p more expensive. It still works out cheaper than having a petrol car. The road tax is cheaper too.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
£1.10/L = $8.25/gal.
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is this "road tax" of which you speak?
shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, please educate us Americans... [Razz]

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my understanding of it, a road tax is a levy imposed in metropolitan areas on vehicles, based on their perceived impact on the environment. The road tax on a large truck that gets 16mpg would be a lot higher than a small car that gets 30-40mpg. That being said, the corresponding taxes would be less for diesel versions of the same vehicles.

The whole purpose is to limit road vehicle traffic and usage in the city to cut down on congestion and pollution and make the streets better for pedestrian traffic.

(No, I'm not a highly-specialized civil engineer in training, no siree.)

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Close. What Fabrux is talking about is called a "congenstion charge" and only exists in London, and possibly Manchester. Cities where travelling a mile can take weeks.

Road tax is different. Over here every single car has to be taxed before it is allowed on public roads. Hence, a road tax. It used to go on engine size (one bracket for 1.4 and below, another for anything bigger), but now it goes on emmisions in an attempt to be greaner and to get people to but more efficient cars. So a 1.1 Clio diesel would be £30 road tax for the year, while a big range rover could be up to £250 per year.

Automatics tend to be about £50-£100 more per year because of the emissions. That's why the UK is one of the rarer countries where manual (stick) driving is more common than automatic.

If you care, here are the road tax brackets for the Ford Focus, the most common car in the UK. I think.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Waves at Liam)

When i left work yesterday, I headed for a Kroger (Grocery) that sells gas. They had lines around all of their pumps. Price had dropped to 3.99 a gallon. I drove a mile and Go Mart was the same price, and i didn't have to wait. Someone said it hit 4.15 here during the 4th of july weekend, but I didn't see it.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dropped to 3.99? The cheap stations have yet to go over that here! (It was $3.67 this morning.)
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

It's just over $4 here, or at least that's what people bitch about at work. I don't own a car. [Smile]
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
Dropped to 3.99? The cheap stations have yet to go over that here! (It was $3.67 this morning.)

Sonuvabitch. ( exclamatory, not directed at you B.J.)

My area has the highest prices in the state, which is already above the national average. I think the lowest its been here in a while is 4.15
I think the average is like $4.30 though.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:

I need to come to Bama to get my gas!! I saw 3.67 in South Carolina, on the way back from Surf Side beach in June. It was 3.97 when I went to lunch today.

When prices were going up, it could change from hour to hour, now that it is down, it takes a day.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps