Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » NY Rep. Calls for Mandatory Military Service (Page 1)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10   
Author Topic: NY Rep. Calls for Mandatory Military Service
Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure his motives are quite clear. You be the judge...

http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/12/29/mandatory.military/index.html

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His motives are very clear...he wants to make the risks of war clear to those who have the power to declare it.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'm going to introduce legislation to have universal military service to let everyone have an opportunity to defend the free world against the threats coming to us."

They have an opportunity. It's called "enlisting of your own free will". And if we're going to have mandatory service, it should be for the members of the government who vote in favor of the war. If they want it, let them fight it. If this bill passes, it will have been passed by the same people who voted for war. In other words, it won't have changed their mind about anything.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, yeah, this is going to work.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim: That might be his point...I don't think he intends for it to pass, but he's hoping that when it comes up, people will be watching Congress's reaction very closely. That's my guess, at least.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Conscription..... A sorry thing....

It is a bad idea, moral would fall off, Tim McVeigh's have a better chance of spring up...

A wartime draft, well we have that, so it's no biggie...

Besides, then the politicians now that they have a full military, what makes him think that they, the polis, would twist this around and make war more often???

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sieg Hiel!!

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shoudln't that be Hail Siegfried????

Well, okay, maybe not....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This just goes to show that nothing good ever came out of New York.

With the exception of my wife and closed-cell foam produced in my plant. [Big Grin]

I wouldn't support this, under any condition. Do you really want someone like me in the military? Thought so. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This can only create more problems IMO.

#1 Is the military setup for this?

#2 Do you really want people in the military that dont want to be there serving with people who have volunteered for duty?

Granted this situation already exists but on a much larger scale it could really become a moral and force protection issue.

#4 If this does pass, how long would they have to be commited for? 2 years? a year? 4 years?

I'm thinking the period of time people must serve would become an issue, how do you build unit cohesion with people who after 9 months are basiclly done with their commitment.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You hire more hard-ass drill sergeants.
Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

Thats the thing Cartman, during the Clinton years the training in the military with the exception of the USMC was pussified to no belief.

Drill Sergeants are not allowed to be hard asses anymore. As a Drill Sergeant you are not allowed to call someone a "Meathead" or a "Dogface".

Now I know a curse words doesnt make you a soldier. But if a troop can't take a grown man cursing at him how are they going to react during a fire fight? or if they are captured?

"An ounce of sweat in training saves a gallon of blood in battle"

Read the following article by Col. Hackworth about the training (or lack there of) at Fort Jackson, SC

The March of the Porcelain Soldiers

The facts in this article have been echoed by friends of mine that have returned from "Relaxing Jackson" after Basic. Now this article was writtin about training with volunteers, now imagine this with people who were dragged into training?

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this guy interviewed on TV last night.

If this guy were vodka, he'd be Absolut Idiot.

Basically, he's against the war and he'll do or say anything to push his agenda. He was actually saying that we needed to give the underpriveleged a chance to fight and die with the volunteers.

He also implied that somehow, the volunteers were too stupid to understand that they signed on for the possibility of warfare when they volunteered (An astoundingly insulting position for an elected official to take).

Or at least, that was what he was saying about half of the time. The other half he was babbling about "shared risk," as though he thought that the draft would put the kids of congressmen in danger (Like it did in Vietnam?) and make them re-think their position. The whole thing seemed to me to be some bizarre attempted vote extortion.

If THIS is what the Democrats are fielding as leadership, they're in even worse shape than I thought they were.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some strange reason, I agree with you, First.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, as bad as the idea might be, the argument that mandatory military service is unworkable and harmful in all cases is blatently untrue.
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps