Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » NY Rep. Calls for Mandatory Military Service (Page 6)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: NY Rep. Calls for Mandatory Military Service
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can you post a link to this UN info...

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Where I come from, we call these people with ulterior motives "criminals," and we realize that it's pretty ludicrous to expect them to obey the law. Why other people can't seem to grasp that, I don't know."

Mabye they don't turn them in because there is only a token fine for owning a banned weapon that was purchased prior to the ban?
Here in the US a simple "I didint know" will get you off if you have no prior record.
Look at the US: there are whole militia's stalking and training for combat and learning new and creative ways to make things explode, and for what reason do we allow this to go on?
The jerkoffs responsible for the bombing of the ATF building were in one of these "constutionally protected" militias.
Fun city.
Do they really need to arm themselves for fear of mabye another U.S. state invading or Iraqui paratroopers starting an homeland invasion from BFE Utah.....they could take over America if we're not all armed and ready! [Roll Eyes]
...an of course, there's the ever looming possibility of Canada invading with their evil free healthcare and low crime rate...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:
can you post a link to this UN info...

Sorry; it was on the TV news ("According to the UN...")

Also; it apparently takes 1/2 an hour to recommission a gun.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I searched the UN site with now luck, trying a multitude of searches, then search google, but the newest data seems to be from 99....

EC, the weapons you want to ban may be one of the few things that keeps the big government from getting bigger... Don't think this is far fetched, what, with gas meter readers and other utitlity workers being assigned to report info to the Dept. of Homeland Security....

One small step for the government, one big kick in the balls to the citizans....

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Look at the US: there are whole militia's stalking and training for combat and learning new and creative ways to make things explode, and for what reason do we allow this to go on?

Actually, the events in OK City pretty much began the slow, wasting death of the militia movement in this country, which is why you don't hear about them anymore. There are more guys walking through the woods with paintballs than there are militia guys nowadays. Only the diehard paranoids are left, and without any real public support, they're going nowhere.

Besides, communications is always more important than weapons acquisition, and these guys' communications are now far past being compromised.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:
EC, the weapons you want to ban may be one of the few things that keeps the big government from getting bigger... Don't think this is far fetched, what, with gas meter readers and other utitlity workers being assigned to report info to the Dept. of Homeland Security....

Maybe. The idea though of the country managing to get it's act together, forming some sort of militia, and being effective against a government that will almost certainly have military support if something like this is necessary seems a little far fetched itself.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends. Some folks think that it's the simple act of resistance which is the most important thing. It doesn't matter if they win, just that they fought back.

There was a black poet, Claude McKay, who wrote a poem called "If we must die" in that mindset. It's one of my all-time favorites, possibly THE favorite.

quote:
If we must die, let it not be like hogs
Hunted and penned in an inglorious spot,
While round us bark the mad and hungry dogs,
Making their mock at our accurs�d lot.
If we must die, O let us nobly die,
So that our precious blood may not be shed
In vain; then even the monsters we defy
Shall be constrained to honor us though dead!
O, kinsmen! we must meet the common foe!
Though far outnumbered let us show us brave,
And for their thousand blows deal one death-blow!
What though before us lies the open grave?
Like men we'll face the murderous, cowardly pack,
Pressed to the wall, dying, but fighting back!

or...

quote:
"You know, it's funny I was thinking about what you said. 'The pre-eminent truth of our age is that you cannot fight the system.' But if, as you say, truth is fluent, that the truth subjective, then maybe you can fight the system as long as one person refuses to be broken, refuses to bow down."
"But can you win?"
"Every time I say 'no'." -- Sheridan and his interrogator

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Not unless you've got an impossible degree of enforcement, it won't."

Certainly doesn't stop you from trying to win the War On Drugs, does it? Now THAT is a complete failure to combat cause instead of symptom.

"EC, the Brits have certainly made sure that no new weapons get in to the hands of new/aspiring criminals, with weapons related crimes going UP...."

So you're an advocate of lifting the ban? Which will cause weapon related crimes to go up EVEN FURTHER?

"Do you realize exactly how big this country is??? That is way we are having a miserable time stopping the drug trade, the borders are enormous. I'd cite you a mileage number, but I have no time to look it up as I have to get ready for work, maybe later."

There are only THREE hot spots along the entire length of the border: New Mexico, Texas, and Florida. By no means is it impossible to guard them.

Anyway, this is a moot point. Guns aren't smuggled INTO the United States, because, unlike drugs, there's no DEMAND for them that isn't already met by NATIONAL production.

"A ban is not the answer, education is, metal detectors in weapons free locations, bars being one, hotels, places where people gather in reasonably large groups. There are other, better, alternatives than a ban that would be the beginning of the end, when used in conjuction with the Homeland Security...."

Education can only go so far. You educate people about drugs, too. And about alcohol. And about sex. See where I'm going? There will ALWAYS be people who can't hack the responsibility.

Also, I don't need to remind you that the HS act would never have passed through Congress if it didn't have the wake of 9/11 imparting MASSIVE additional momentum.

"EC, the weapons you want to ban may be one of the few things that keeps the big government from getting bigger... Don't think this is far fetched, what, with gas meter readers and other utitlity workers being assigned to report info to the Dept. of Homeland Security...."

The idea of an organised militia defeating an oppressive government was plausible two centuries ago. These days, it's a little far-fetched. Don't get me wrong, though. Nothing would please me more than to watch the National Guard forcefully remove that babboon from office. But it's a safe bet the guns *I* want to restrict availability of aren't headed for the NG.

[ January 13, 2003, 15:22: Message edited by: E. Cartman ]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Certainly doesn't stop you from trying to win the War On Drugs, does it? Now THAT is a complete failure to combat cause instead of symptom. I think you mean to say "symptom instead of cause." Aside from that, I have to agree. Of course, the 'War on Drugs' is a half-assed attempt, and not a "war" at all. We start striking cartel operations with tomohawks, then we can call it a war.

So you're an advocate of lifting the ban? Which will cause weapon related crimes to go up EVEN FURTHER?

And your data which supports this claim that the UK will suddenly become the wild west if the ban is lifted consists of...?

In any case, no, we don't propose lifing their ban. We propose having the good sense not to repeat the same mistake here.

There are only THREE hot spots along the entire length of the border: New Mexico, Texas, and Florida. By no means is it impossible to guard them.

Those spots are hot because they are fairly convenient. (I notice you forgot California). If they dry up, others will be found. Boats can come in almost anywhere.

Anyway, this is a moot point. Guns aren't smuggled INTO the United States, because, unlike drugs, there's no DEMAND for them that isn't already met by NATIONAL production.

Right. Also because there's no ban. (Although returning soldiers did frequently bring back working souveniers, plus we did trade with other countries.. the AK-47 and the Glock and the Walther and the Luger are not US-made, you know.

Education can only go so far. You educate people about drugs, too. And about alcohol. And about sex. See where I'm going? There will ALWAYS be people who can't hack the responsibility.

And these people are best removed from society.

Also, I don't need to remind you that the HS act would never have passed through Congress if it didn't have the wake of 9/11 imparting MASSIVE additional momentum.

People have realized that the world has changed.

The idea of an organised militia defeating an oppressive government was plausible two centuries ago. These days, it's a little far-fetched.

*yawn* I already covered that.

it's a safe bet the guns *I* want to restrict availability of aren't headed for the NG. Why? They already have handguns and rifles and more. What's left?

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
People have realized that the world has changed.

Has the world changed or has the US finally woken up to what the world is? People from Europe have put up with terrorism for years, the US was hit and suddenly the world is a different place? I don't think so, what has changed is the US, the rest of the world already knew what was going on and who was causing most of the problems.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Let me guess, US....

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something I read somwhere said something along the lines of; Americans think September 11th changed the world, everyone else thinks September 11th changed America.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A picture says more than a thousand words

Use the magnifying glass.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:

And these people are best removed from society.

Normally, I'd post something about extreme reactions. But if the US had folloed Rob's idea a few decades ago, then GWB would no longer be on the planet. And this would be a good thing. So, you go Rob!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Talk about extreme reactions!

Dude, "removed from society" doesn't necessarily mean "killed." You know, there's jail, and asylums, and treatment centers.

Only one of your ilk would automatically assume I meant killed.

Pretty heavy on the doltage there, bulldog.

--------------------

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps