Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The Fort Pillow Massacre ... and other Civil War debates (Page 5)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The Fort Pillow Massacre ... and other Civil War debates
Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
It still boils down to who gets to call himself the Catholic Church locally. That is, who gets to decide what the Pope really said or wrote, and how it reflects on the sacral or secular lives of the local community. That's pretty much as tricky as deciding what Jesus or God really said or wrote.

That's what the Catechism's for. [Smile]
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Put short, if religion was something so simple it could be enforced equally on all practitioners, who'd be interested?

Timo Saloniemi

The Pope sure would! [Big Grin]

So...Jesus put Peter in charge of the Church?!
Pre or post-mortem?
If "Pre" it shows a huge ego on Jesus' part to think that there would be anything after him but a few deciples spreading his "word".
Did "Church" as a word even exist as a word before Christianity came to power in Rome?

Seems iffy: If a cult leader was just killed and his right hand man suddenly announced that he was chosen as sucessor, I'd see it as a attempt to seize/ maintain power before the movement fell apart.

From my detached POV mind you.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aren't there levels of laws in the Bible? Whatever came first was superceded by Mosaic Law, then Mosaic Law was superceded by Christianity? Since the Mosiac Laws were ment for the Jews, pre conversion, and after the conversion they went with the New Testement?

Also, how accurate is the Bible, with they way it was decided which books were to be included. Being rushed for time they included the present books, dropping the debates of the others that could have been included.

Please see Apocryphal / Deuterocanonical Books of the Old Testament for some more info, or Google for a other listings....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slavery of a foreign people due to their differing religon is good with the bible.

If a) prisoners of war, which we've covered, or b) already slaves. Actually enslaving random foreigners isn't permissable. So again, which would be better: slaves to a pagan or slaves to someone who will expose you to the truth?

I wouldn't assume the Bible to be true, though.

Of course, but since I'm the one trying to justify this of stuff, I think I'm allowed to make what assumptions I please. Unless you can disprove them, of course.

we can see that it condones a practice which the majority of people today would consider abhorrent.

Which practice, exactly? The practice of keeping prisoners and making them work? I've got no problem with that. The practice of buying someone who's already a slave, placing them in circumstances that make thier lives better? Some have problems with that, but just what are you suggesting should have been done otherwise?

Religion breeds hipocracy

Humanity breeds hipocracy, or at least lack of understanding. It's like a bunch of the kids I know, for an example. They can be mean, inconsiderate and rude, but it's not because they're hypocrites, as if they're telling people to stop being mean and inconsiderate and rude. They just honestly don't get that they're not supposed to be that way. Ignorance and weakness the problem, not hypocracy.

"An eye for an eye" and "Turn the other cheek" are bound in the same book

Ah, but if you actually read that book, you'll see that they were addressed to two different groups of people. Case in point, no teaching of Christianity involves "an eye for an eye" except to say "screw it".

And I doubt that anywhere in the Bible justifies killing burglars.

Depends on what they're gonna do if you don't kill 'em, of course. The one rule of Christianity is "Love everyone", where love so far as I can tell is defined as doing what's best for them. This leads to some rather extreme pragmatism: based on whatever information you have on hand, you must always do what you think is best for everyone else. If it's a choice between killing one person and letting others die, then you kinda have to kill 'em. It's what's best for the greatest number of people. So no, killing a burgler for nothing but trying to steal your laptop would probably not be justified. Wounding him, though, I'd say would be.

Jesus appointed Peter to be Head of The Church

I must have missed that verse. In fact, I'm rather sure that Paul said that Christ himself was the head of the church. Heck, read Acts. If anyone, James seemed to have local authority over the church in Jerusalem, not Peter.

If "Pre" it shows a huge ego on Jesus' part to think that there would be anything after him but a few deciples spreading his "word".

While I don't agree that Christ put anyone in charge of the church on earth, I think the living incarnation of God would be allowed to assume certain things about the future, wouldn't you say? Were he a human being, of course, you're right, but there are other options. [Smile]

I thought you were supposed to hand over your children to them for sexual pleasure, in hopes they went away?

If that's a reference to Lot, nobody ever held up Lot as a paragon of virtue.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet motherfucking jesus.

quote:
If a) prisoners of war, which we've covered, or b) already slaves. Actually enslaving random foreigners isn't permissable.
Ah, so it's OK to take slaves in the name of god as long as they worship another deity?

quote:
So again, which would be better: slaves to a pagan or slaves to someone who will expose you to the truth?
Would YOU want to be "exposed" to someone elses' "truth", zealot?

quote:
Of course, but since I'm the one trying to justify this of stuff, I think I'm allowed to make what assumptions I please.
In other words, pulling shit out of your ass that fits your interpretation.

quote:
The practice of buying someone who's already a slave, placing them in circumstances that make thier lives better?
Oh yes, forcing your beliefs on people is BOUND to make their lives better.

quote:
Humanity breeds hipocracy, or at least lack of understanding.
More than a fair share of which is contributed by religion.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[quote]
quote:Humanity breeds hipocracy, or at least lack of understanding.
More than a fair share of which is contributed by religion. <\quote]

I know a lot of people that aren't religious that are hypocitical in the extreme, so I would call it more than a fair share.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Hipocracy," of course, being a form of government where power is entrusted to the Fonz.
Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet motherfucking jesus.

An amusing juxtaposition, given what Catholics believe about the nature of Jesus' mother. [Smile]

Would YOU want to be "exposed" to someone elses' "truth", zealot?

Now see, this is our whole problem here. When making all these points, I'm operating on the assumption that what the Bible says is correct. If you deny that assumption, then the discussion has no point at all. Mind you, you're welcome to accept or deny whatever assumptions you please, but trying to argue that God's laws are wrong while simultaneously claiming that they're not God's laws at all is kind of stupid. My point is that IF they are God's laws, they do make sense in the context in which they were given to the people to which they were given.

Ah, so it's OK to take slaves in the name of god as long as they worship another deity?

You're oversimplifying. Assuming your people are ruled exclusively by God, and that you only go to war when He tells you and not just because you WANT some slaves, then yeah, turning prisoners of war into slaves would be fine. Back to the uber-pragmatism: name the better option. It's not as if you can just let the enemy army go intact, at least not in those days, so you either kill 'em or render 'em neutral. Keeping them in a pen would be a drain on resources with no return, resources that might not be available. Thus, slaves. It was the best option available at the time for all concerned, including the slaves. Yet another reason why slavery in America was a totally different institution from slavery in biblical Israel.

In other words, pulling shit out of your ass that fits your interpretation.

Specific examples, please?

Oh yes, forcing your beliefs on people is BOUND to make their lives better.

You can't force beliefs on people. For example, that statement makes me believe that you're a moron, but no matter what I could hypothetically do to you, you'd never understand why. I can't force that belief on you either.

More than a fair share of which is contributed by religion.

How can a lack of understanding regarding religion be caused by religion? I mean, if you've got a religion where only a select few people have access to the basic tenets, perhaps, but that's not the case with any major religion I know of. Apparently, I'm not the one pulling things out of my proverbial ass.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you deny that assumption, then the discussion has no point at all.

In that case, why don't you yield? [Wink]

...trying to argue that God's laws are wrong while simultaneously claiming that they're not God's laws at all is kind of stupid.

I'm not arguing they aren't god's laws here, unless you can provide a quote to the contrary, of course.

It was the best option available at the time for all concerned, including the slaves.

Let me guess: no-one asked the slaves for their opinion.

Yet another reason why slavery in America was a totally different institution from slavery in biblical Israel.

A prison with diamond bars and walls of gold is still a prison.

You can't force beliefs on people.

And yet, christianity did a pretty good job at it during the first, oh, seventeen centuries A.D. Y'know, convert or die, and all that.

For example, that statement makes me believe that you're a moron, but no matter what I could hypothetically do to you, you'd never understand why. I can't force that belief on you either.

Well, since you've already made up your mind...

How can a lack of understanding regarding religion be caused by religion?

I was referring to hypocrisy. But, re: how religion can breed a lack of understanding between humans: do I really need to cite examples of *that*?

[ May 27, 2003, 01:47 AM: Message edited by: Cartmaniac ]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Jesus appointed Peter to be Head of The Church"

"I must have missed that verse."

I believe the passage usually interpreted this way is the one where he nicknames Simon "Rocky" and tells him he's going to build a church on him.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
You can't force beliefs on people.

Really?
Christians abducted Africans, never allowed them to practice their native religons, denied their children the chance to even learn for generations and forced them to participate in ritualized christianity.
In fact, the white slavers made their participation in church services the only non-degrading part of their lives.
Today (200 years later) people of African desent no longer even know what god or gods their ansestors worshipped and attend church services becaue it's all they've ever known.
Slavery in the name of the Judeo/Christian god destroyed their religion.
But you defend it by saying it "improved their lives by exposing them to the truth"?
Sounds like it improved their white christian master's lives to me.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Omega
Member # 91

In that case, why don't you yield?

"Screw oncomming traffic", that's my motto. [Wink]

I'm not arguing they aren't god's laws here, unless you can provide a quote to the contrary, of course.

Okay, "Would YOU want to be "exposed" to someone elses' "truth"?" It's implicit that God's laws as stated in the Bible are not necessarily the truth, which is the assumption I'm making.

Let me guess: no-one asked the slaves for their opinion.

Well, if they wanted to die instead of being slaves THAT badly, they could have, oh, attacked their owner, run away, or just refused to move from the spot they were standing. Assuming, of course, you still don't have a third option for what Israel could have done with a captured enemy army.

A prison with diamond bars and walls of gold is still a prison.

Again, you seem to be implying that all forced labor is wrong regardless of circumstances. Obviously this is false, given examples that I've already shown. It's a question of the circumstances and the alternatives.

And yet, christianity did a pretty good job at it during the first, oh, seventeen centuries of this millennium. Y'know, convert or die, and all that.

...which is not forcing beliefs on people, it's forcing actions on people.

Today (200 years later) people of African desent no longer even know what god or gods their ansestors worshipped and attend church services becaue it's all they've ever known.

You're saying that slaveholders two hundred years ago forced Christianity on people of today? That's reaching, and you know it.

Slavery in the name of the Judeo/Christian god destroyed their religion. But you defend it by saying it "improved their lives by exposing them to the truth"?

Did I say that with regards to African slaves in this country? Sorry, must have missed that...

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Any time you enslave a people and supress or destroy their culture for your own ends you are a evil fucking bastard.
Any God that says this is okay is an evil bastard as well.
You are confusing "forced labor" of prisoners with slavery in many of your defenses: Prisoners have comitted crimes against their societies and serve a sentence. A prisoner works untill he has paid for his/her crimes: their children are not bound by this.
Slaves are captives forced to be another's property forever as well as their children after comiting no crime other than being of another race or creed. It all comes down to those in power being too damn lazy to work for themselves and opressing others by force of arms.
Re-read that bible passage and see if you can tell the diffrence now.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Omega
Member # 91

Slaves are captives forced to be another's property forever as well as their children after comiting no crime other than being of another race or creed.

Say it with me, Jason: in our society. We are NOT talking about our society. In the time period in question, the slaves we seem to have reduced our discussion to were a) existing slaves that were bought from people passing through, or b) prisoners of war. Slaves that were bought from foreigners passing through the country were better off with a Hebrew master than with their foreign master, so buying one would actually be a good thing for them. As for prisoners of war, again, what alternative for them would you propose? (Always under the assumption that all wars are just, which was the assumption that the law was given under.)

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
[QB] Slaves that were bought from foreigners passing through the country were better off with a Hebrew master than with their foreign master, so buying one would actually be a good thing for them.

Who says? You?
What foreigners? Why were they sold?
You're assuming a heck of a lot.
You really think slaves were treated well?
Slaves were not treated well (historically) by anyone.
Ever.

You really think that just because the new owners of thsese slaves were Hebrew that they were better off? Hebrews back then make today's most extreme Islamic fundamentalist look like Martha Stewart.

There were indentured servants in the far east that were treated well to be certain, but we're talking about the middle east.
Biiiig diffrence.
I made the alalgy with America;s slavery of Africans because they used that same bible to justify all their brutality.

And as you pointed out: God would know whats going to happen, so why give slavery of any kind the big thumbs up?

If Buhddaists came and enslaved your family, then sold you to Islamists, what would you say?
It's OK'd by your god after all.
You were sold to your new masters by your former owners so it's alright....right?
That is what the passage says after all: it does'nt specify a time limit.
...or does that passage only apply to "foreigners".
You would be a forigner to the people the passage was written for after all.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps