Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The Fort Pillow Massacre ... and other Civil War debates (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The Fort Pillow Massacre ... and other Civil War debates
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't imagine that Jesus would have said a person whould keep his slaves just because they would starve otherwise. He was an unemployed drifter himself, after all.

Besides, if the slaveowner would get off his lazy ass and do some work himself, he wouldn't starve.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! This thread has gotten to the "What would Jesus Do?" point. All we need is a Hitler argument now and we'll be rid of it [Wink]
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't imagine that Jesus would have said a person whould keep his slaves just because they would starve otherwise.

That wasn't the scenario. The scenario was of a man's family starving. Significantly different.

Besides, if the slaveowner would get off his lazy ass and do some work himself, he wouldn't starve.

Well that depends on how the slaveowner and his family get their food, now wouldn't it?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just occured to me that this has reached a point where you are justifying slavery. At this time, I'm going to stop even dignifying it w/ an arguement.
Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, so instead of actually giving thought to a legitimate issue, i.e. whether slavery in ancient Israel was inherently different from slavery in the United States, and whether those differences kept slavery from being an abhorrent institution in ancient Israel, you choose to simply say that anything that has the label of slavery must be evil simply because of the label and not necessarily due to the nature of the practice itself.

Duely noted.

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thus you all have discovered why have said that this is pointless.

Group A is saying slavery is a bad thing, which it is.

Omega is saying that slavery in anceint Israel was different than the slavery in the old south, which it was, since there seemed to be laws giving some semblence of protection to the slaves, unlike the old south. If you give credence that people were more apt to be religious then and followed the laws of God.

So, while slavery sucked, in any terms and any way, being a slave in ancient Israel was different than those that were slaves in the old south.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But that brings us back to the religous implications of a God that allow slavery in any form in the first place.

This sums it up for me:

Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally.
- Abraham Lincoln

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Omega
Member # 91

since there seemed to be laws giving some semblence of protection to the slaves, unlike the old south

That and the way the slaves became slaves to begin with. That's what I'm seeing as the most important difference.

As for trying slavery on me because I'm arguing for it, well, you'd have to put me in a situation where I'm a POW in a war specifically ordered by God, and my only other option is death. That's the whole point.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the whole point is that you're defending slavery if it's n a "war that God ordered", but we're all saying that's a cop-out excuse used to justift enslaving people.
Anybody can announce that "god ordered me to do it" and commit any crime.
If you were the son of someone that was one of thsse supposedly justly captured "POW slaves" then you'd also deserve to be a slave?
And you'd be "better off".
That is what you're arguing you know.

Yet you still consider one form of slavery diffrent tahn another!
Slavery is slavery no matter what excuse is used to justify it weither it be "negros are less than white people and it's for their own good" or "we're showing them the way of God so it's all for their own good".
It's all evil lazy bastards enslaving others to do their work and make them profit.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I look at it this way, if you justify it, then if you where on the receiving end of that situation, would you still feel that it's okay? or would you do ANYTHING to be free? or would you accept your new position in life?

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really, the arguement about whether the two types of slavery were different or not is really irrelevant- the verses were interpreted as meaning any slavery by many people and this was believed by many people at the time. So they believed they had a God given right to keep slaves.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Omega
Member # 91

No, the whole point is that you're defending slavery if it's n a "war that God ordered", but we're all saying that's a cop-out excuse used to justift enslaving people.

And I'm saying repeatedly that this is all predicated on the assumption that Jewish law did, in fact, come directly from God, as theoretically their dictates for war would have been had they followed said law. It's just that nobody seems to be listening.

if you where on the receiving end of that situation, would you still feel that it's okay?

If you could convince me that God wanted me enslaved, yeah, I'd go along with it. I can't imagine how you'd convince me of that, but hypothetically speaking I'd do it, no complaints.

--------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have half a mind to register the username "God" and start issuing some proclamations. A third testament is way overdue.
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "NEW New Testament?"
The "Even Newer Testament?"

--------------------
Meh

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

"Spankin' New Testament"
"Bible Three: The Search For Jesus"
"New Testament Two: The Search For More Money"
"The Bible: Reloaded"
"Big Trouble in Little Jeruselem"
"Even more reasons we're right and everyone else is wrong"

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps