Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » This is what you get from living a sheltered life (Page 2)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: This is what you get from living a sheltered life
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cane helps keep her steady, yes. She has monere's syndrome, which can cause severe vertigo attacks. Like I said, I missed the assault.

I informed the store people, although Julie didn't want me to. She wasn't much help with a description. They said that they'd look over the surveilance and see if they could get anything, and if they did they'd contact me and ban him from the store.

They said they could have been of more help if she'd said something while he was still in the store. Nice folks.

Anyway, the vicious part of me REALLY hopes we see him again. I have a lot of repressed hostility to work out.

They'll wonder why I'm calling him different names while I'm beating him...

*WHACK*"and SNAY!"*SMITE*"and Jay the Obscure!"*CLOBBER*and @#$%ing Cartman!*SNAP* [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Oh, and that "nose-into-brain" thing? It's an Urban Legend.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What, don't I deserve to be on your name-calling list? [Big Grin]

Maybe they'll think you're a Star Wars geek and that you really hate Imperials... [Big Grin]

Seriously, though, the world is full of F***ed up people...have satisfaction in the fact that these are the people who will go nowhere and do nothing with their lives, and their behavior will one day get them into jail (or worse).

--------------------
Meh

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You forgot me. [Frown]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yell "Addadon" while you hurt him: it might lend to some kind of "religous fervor" defence in court!
Or possibly the Angel of the Bottomless Pit will hear you and lend you strength.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But. . . but. . . Bruce Willis did it in The Last Boy Scout! *illusions shattering*

And, yeah, calling him names from South Park will really help you in court. 8)

I guess what I want to know is, where are all these sickos coming from? Have they always existed throughout history, and it was either a) not illegal, or b) just not mentioned (like serial killers in Soviet Russia, "there are no serial killers in worker's paradise, is decadent Western phenomenon only")?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I think they've always been there to some extent... but as population increases and morals go down hill... people are getting worse. Plus some people are just clinically messed in the head. Doesn't mean they don't deserve a good whoopin' for something like that.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They've always been there. Just more are a)getting caught or b) are no longer viewed as being completely ga-ga and locked up for life in Bedlam. Not to mention the arguement to be made for the dilution of morals since the 1960s- just look at the declining Church attendance. Social cohesion has also been undermined in recent years by the New Right emphasis on inherantly unstable market institutions and the resurrection of laissez faire economics. Of course, welfare handouts also have their own problems...

Part of it is also the decline in discipline as a whole caused, IMO, by the current feeling that it is not acceptable to pass judgement on any but the most extreme of behavoir.

Incidently Lee, I liked the (very convincing) Russian accent on your point b. [Wink]

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moral dilution and the Church? Let's not go there.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Yell "Addadon" while you hurt him: it might lend to some kind of "religous fervor" defence in court!
Or possibly the Angel of the Bottomless Pit will hear you and lend you strength.

Yes, mispronounce his name at any assailant....

Why do women do such stupid things like not raising a ruckus at such times.... Do they find being assualted flattering in some fucked up way????

My wife is well endowed, and the last guy that tried fondling her ended up with a dislocated shoulder.... From her.... She can be down right mean at times....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Moral dilution and the Church? Let's not go there.
We may have to. Partly because I'm not convinced it's a factor. All church-imposed morals ever led to was the Eleventh Commandment - Thou Shalt Not Get Caught - and a great deal of hypocrisy. Not that I'm necessarily blaming the Church, or Christianity in general.

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point. But while church induced morals didn't take hold throughout the whole population, there is certainly something to be said for them affecting a significant portion of the population, as well as giving a common basis for secular morals and society and social cohesion and stability.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see that at all Lee, even and atheist can follow a majority of the Big 10, the first one is a natural no go, but what the heck....

Several of the atheists here have mentioned killing is wrong, to use this as an example, so is this a church imposed moral???

I would imagine these same people think that adultry is wrong also, same question....

Now, if you are talking about ignorant ones, like days that you can change your underware/pants, then I have to agree.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Lee
Member # 393

I didn't need the Church to tell me killing was wrong. And how effective is that proscription anyway. Omega, probably the most Christian among us, supports the death penalty. But we really don't want to get into all that again, if I read another debate on the translation of ancient Hebrew/Aramaic/Greek/Latin again I'll scream.

Just phoned for an update, hopefully a Sergeant should get in touch tomorrow and will probably want my CompactFlash card as evidence. Just as well I had my spare one in there, I suspect my main card has some naughty pictures on it. 8)

--------------------

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
I suspect my main card has some naughty pictures on it. 8)

"What the-- You know that's bloody illegal in this town! All right then, come along..."

Yeah, always be sure to purge the naughty pictures before you loan out the digital. [Embarrassed]

ANYway...

I really don't have to worry about my wife being attacked. I have to worry about her controlling her temper and not maiming people because Coke and Pesi are not the same thing, people tapping her on the shoulder, and other minor transgressions.

Lee, hope they catch the bastard. Good luck.

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*chuckle* That's something I wouldn't want to try to control. There are far too many mild retards out there, thanks to an unfortunate combination of lamebrained parenting philosopies (or lack of same) with a generally crappy education system. I count myself incredibly fortunate that I learned logic and critical thinking when I was still very young. And I am extremely grateful for the comparitively few waitpersons who know to distinguish between Sprite and Sierra Mist, Coke and Pepsi, Dr. Pepper and Mr. Pibb, etc...

I'm a big one for people being responsible and accountable for what they know, what they don't know, what they do, what they don't do, and whether (or not) they think.

I hate stupid people...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps