Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Computers Racially Insensitive? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Computers Racially Insensitive?
Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

But do you see? - where does it stop?

It can't. It's gone too far and taken on a life of it's own. This is a part of American Culture now.

Thank you Lawyers.

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yip.. well up here in Canada too -- it exists here too.. all this damn political correctness!

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read the book The Language Police by Diane Ravitch. This kind of crap really has gotten completely out of hand.
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, normally I'd say its a bit absurd.
But in this case, whatever.
I mean SATA drives are almost the same price as normal ATA drives, it won't take all that long for the ATA to simply be phased out.
So it happens by default. *shrug*

Just checked. The cheapest SATA drive is exactly the same price as its same brand/same capacity counterpart at 110 CDN. Yep.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not suprised at all that this came out of L.A.

B.J.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This didn't need to go any further than the supervisor calmly and rationally explaining to this person the way this technology operates. It's completely understandable that someone unfamiliar with this would take offense, but with sufficient explanation, any reasonable person would certainly have to realize that these terms merely refer to the nature of the relationship between these drives. Obviously slavery was a dark and terrible chapter in US history, and we are clearly still feeling the ramifications of that horrible injustice, but this incident simply has nothing to do with intentionally invoking that history. Our efforts and concerns would be far better spent battling those eggregrious incidents of real and malicious racism.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"how do i know she can read it? Maybe she couldn't.. and if she couldn't - then it could be viewed as racist!"

Well, you could have said "can you read it?", rather than "What does it say?"

Still, the way I'd deal with people like that is, well, ignoring them.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whenever I turn on my computer, the start up page says, "Welcome to Macintosh, you lousy Jap!" Or maybe I'm just imagining it.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yours too! I am glad things haven't changed!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The funny thing is, my computer's "name" for network purposes is "Master"...but it's a Dell, so the box is black!
So am I a racist or am I all for black power?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, boo hoo! Someone got offended by a hard-drive! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason: "...but it's a Dell, so the box is black!"

I've got a Dell Dimension 8200, but it's not really black. It's more black/purple, like an eggplant. I wonder, is this good or bad?

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it may be offensive to eggplants...
Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuck political correctness! [Roll Eyes]

I think I'm going to relabel my hard drives. Instead of "slave" I will put a sticker "filthy Nigger-scum" there, and "master" will become "Arian"...

I think America is really going over the top in many ways:

quote:

"But we are culturally sensitive and we have 90,000 employees," he said. "We have to take these things seriously."

Since when do employers give a damn about employees. Here you can be glad if you have a job. Start complaining about some crazy P.C. crap and be sure to find yourself on the street in no time. Planety of others waiting to take your former job.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
Well, it may be offensive to eggplants...

Re-name it on the network as Clifford Worley.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps