Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Computers Racially Insensitive? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Computers Racially Insensitive?
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"So am I a racist or am I all for black power?"

Neither. You just believe in affirmative action. B)

[ December 05, 2003, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: Cartman ]

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
And did anyone notice that the place where you plug the slave in is at the back of the bus?

Mark

It depends. If you have two drives connected via Cable Select, then the drive at the end of the cable becomes the master, and the drive in the middle becomes the slave. Otherwise, if you explicitly label them as master and slave (like I do, dammit I'm a racist), then you can put them anywhere on the IDE bus.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PsyLiam: Perhaps I should have asked what it said instead of Can you read this for me ... but wouldn't that be suggesting that she's an idiot because I have to make sure I say things 'just-so' to ensure she understands my TRUE meaning?!

I hate speaking in euphomisms! Waste of breath, time and energy!

and YES.. .Language police in Quebec is absolutely rediculous. Only in Quebec can you get a fine for not having a sign with big enough french words in it! God forbid there's any english speaking people in Quebec.. if there is... slap a $150 fine on them and pay our women to stay pregnant with the profits!!!

Oooh to be Canadian!

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
and YES.. .Language police in Quebec is absolutely rediculous. Only in Quebec can you get a fine for not having a sign with big enough french words in it! God forbid there's any english speaking people in Quebec.. if there is... slap a $150 fine on them and pay our women to stay pregnant with the profits!!!

Oooh to be Canadian!

Shouldn't you be posting in French first with a font 2x as big as the English post? Don't make me call the language police.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think I'm going to relabel my hard drives. Instead of "slave" I will put a sticker "filthy Nigger-scum" there, and "master" will become "Arian"...
Now who's overreacting?

quote:
Perhaps I should have asked what it said instead of Can you read this for me ... but wouldn't that be suggesting that she's an idiot because I have to make sure I say things 'just-so' to ensure she understands my TRUE meaning?!
Think of it this way. When you see a phrase written in German, would you ask a random white person what it says? Yes, she did overreact by insinuating you're a racist, though I think she was reacting to racial ignorance rather than racism. People do quite commonly assume Asian people are all Chinese, though as a Chinese person myself I don't really have a reason to complain. Besides, I think if people assume something about me from my appearance it is more effective to politely point out their mistake rather than call them racist.

--------------------
life creation in progress

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife is Irish. Sometimes people confuse her for English or Scottish with amusing results.

But she doesn't fly off the deep end and invoke the race card.

Though if someone called ME Scottish I'd be very angry. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"But she doesn't fly off the deep end and invoke the race card."

I would hope not. White people in England, Scotland, and Ireland are all the same race. Unless you're using very specific definitions of "race".

"I'm not an Angle! I'm a Celt, you piece of shit!"

[ December 05, 2003, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: TSN ]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So would most people. Even the Scottish, but that's because they are always angry.

"Perhaps I should have asked what it said instead of Can you read this for me"

Er, no, that's the same thing. You are still assuming that she can read it because she looks Asian. And considering the number of ethnic minorities in todays society, it's not really polite to assume anything about anyone. You should have said, maybe, "Hey, I don't suppose you happen to know Chinese"? That would have been the most polite.

quote:
Originally posted by Austin Powers:
Here you can be glad if you have a job. Start complaining about some crazy P.C. crap and be sure to find yourself on the street in no time. Planety of others waiting to take your former job.

I'm sure people will be just aching to move to Germany now.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I was in Wal-Mart, wearing a blue shirt with white lettering on it, I'd probably get asked where the toilet paper is whether I worked at Wal-Mart or not.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but you are sexy.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you see a phrase written in German, would you ask a random white person what it says?

If you were an Indian in India, perhaps you might.

People do quite commonly assume Asian people are all Chinese

Well, the majority ARE. What, 1.3 billion now?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The majority population of the world is Chinese if you look at it that way. But if a Martian landed and went up to YOU and said "Since the largest group on this world is Chinese, we demand you translate this Chinese language", would that make it all right? Or would you say, "Look you moron green-faced tentacle man, I'm from Tennessee" just as someone might say "Look you moron, I'm Korean not Chinese, not Japanese, not Vietnamese..."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But if a Martian landed and went up to YOU and said "Since the largest group on this world is Chinese, we demand you translate this Chinese language", would that make it all right?

No, it's be incredibly rude. Thankfully, that has nothing to do with the subject at hand. If a Martian came up to me and ASKED if I could read Chinese, I'd say no and think nothing more of it. Well, beyond the fact that there was a martian in front of me.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it does, because Alshrim didn't ask if the girl could read Chinese, he asked what it said. Which is the subtle but important difference.

And, to use your own analogy, this wasn't a Chinese person in China. This was a Chinese person in the US, and if I was in the US, I wouldn't assume they knew Chinese, especially if they were speaking without a Chinese accent (which they might or might not have been, to be fair).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Member # 91

You missed the analogy. This is an American asking an Asian person in American if she could read Chinese. An Indian person in India might ask an American if he could read German. And he said "Can you read this for me?" which could just as easily be asking if she was capable, from what I'm reading.

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps