Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Computers Racially Insensitive? (Page 6)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Computers Racially Insensitive?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, but I just read that and thought. . .

Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: Sure, Brain, but if they cut your hands off at the wrists, you'd still have two perfectly good bones to poke someone's eyes out with.

The most annoying thing about the security I've encountered is the fact that if I want to get a meal, between clearing passport check and the metal detectors, and getting on the plane, if I go to a restaurant in the Duty-Free area I now have to eat with plastic cutlery. When it's six in the morning and I have to hack away at a suasage with a plastic serrated knife slightly less sharp than your average comb, I feel vexed.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could always use your comb.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't own one. Or a brush. Just smooth my hair down after I dry it. But Kate's hair brushes (she has about a half-dozen, we keep forgetting one when we go on trips so have to buy another) - the bristles on those are fucking lethal. I could hijack an airliner with one of those.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bearing in mind the average quality of airline food, you could probably use that to hijack the plane.

"I've got what is alledgedly a piece of fried chicken, and I'm not afraid to use it!!"

Most idiotic example of political correctness ever?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I find nothing wrong with the airline food I tasted over the years. Especially the Dom Perignon champagne...

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As to the PC story from Wraith:
quote:
The prison officer was told to be quiet after three Asian visitors to the prison were spotted standing nearby, the Norwich hearing was told.
Why would anyone in their right fucking mind want to visit a prison?!?
I was on the "scared straight" tour twice and it sure was'nt by choice.
Mabye they just enjoy the overpowering smell of human excrement?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As i read that article, i am sitting here wondering 1) why is he throwing keys down a chute! 2) How does throwing keys at an 'imaginary' picture of Bin-Laden insulting to an Asian person - Let alone a British Assistant Governor. 3) Are these people on crack!? 4) whoever wrote the article isn't that great a writer... cuz i didn't understand the damned thing... he didn't explain why a prison guard would toss his keys down a chute!

Ok .. the last point doesn't REALLY count...

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Answer to all 4 points and end comment:
It's the thought that counts.

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phew - Thanks for clearing that up, Nim! hahaha! [Big Grin]

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

ANOTHER example computer malice!!

http://money.cnn.com/2003/12/12/technology/microsoft_swastika.reut/index.htm

for those of you that use Office 2003 - it's Shift ` or the ~ symbol in that font.

Some forget that the swastika wasn't always a Nazi symbol.

Personally - wouldn't get all offended if i found that.. who knows.. Some kids could be doing a paper on the Second World War - and could use that symbol as part of his paper...

I dunno.. Does anyone here actually feel OFFENDED by this ??

--------------------

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

Just so that we are comparing apples to apples:

quote:
A form of the swastika has been used in the Buddhist religion to symbolize the feet or footprints of the Buddha.
We have a lil chinese guy here that works with us in my company - and he is buddhist! He suggests that the Nazi Swastika and the buddhist symbol are different, in the sense that the orientation of the Nazi Swastika is inverted!

It's like Hitler saw the buddhist symbol and used a mirror image for his own symbol. It has sparked quite a debate here at work. Our company deals alot with fonts and unicode and how they transcode into SVG and SVG-t -- so!! We all find it very interesting.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a pretty common symbol actually: the Navajo used one (but theirs was mirrored so the "arms" leaned left).
The swastika itself was a old good fortune symbol.

Could've been worse: Hitler couls have used a clover. [Wink]
Stick that in your Lucky Charms and eat it!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Some forget that the swastika wasn't always a Nazi symbol.

Personally - wouldn't get all offended if i found that.."

If you had witnessed the horrors of WW2 firsthand, I think you would. Try to understand how laden that symbol is and what it still represents to a lot of people before you shove this on the PC pile too.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

It's more the intent that's NOT there that makes it silly.
Just change the command in future versions and avoid any issues.

Just as a Pentagram or an inverted cross have diffrent meanings to diffrent people, some symbols, once associated with evil become irrevocably tainted in our collective view.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...and what it still represents to a lot of people..."

So, what it represents to one large group (people who think of it as a Nazi symbol) is more important than what it represents to another large group (people who think of it as a religious/spiritual symbol)?

I would like to know whether the swastikas in the font were clockwise or counter-/anti-clockwise, and whether the arms are horizontal/vertical or diagonal.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps