Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » PETA is insane. (Page 4)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: PETA is insane.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't actually eat a lot of red meat. Mince (ground) beef is about as far as I go. I've really gone off roast meats in general, so roast beef is a rarity. I like a good steak - but a good steak is hard to find, and even harder to get cooked the way I like it, so I don't often bother. Mostly I eat chicken or pork - and that latter usually just some form of bacon. Because I like cooking curry, I'm getting more into vegetable dishes.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about all the genetically engineered vegetables and fruits that "science" is trying to push on people? If God had wanted a square watermelon he would have made it. There is NO WAY that the GE foodstuffs will prove to be anything but damaging to the human body.

I spoke with a dairyman one day and he was telling me some things that really makes you think. His theory is that the reason we see our young girls developing at earlier and earlier ages is that the milk industry pumps so much estrogen into cattle to increase milk production that it carries over to our kids. Thus your daughters are getting hit with an overload of estrogen from day one. This also could be a leading cause in the development of breast cancer as all the extra hormones screw up the natural maturation process.

There is a point where humanity needs to understand that the increase in production coupled with the detrimental effects is NOT progress.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist:
If God had wanted a square watermelon he would have made it. There is NO WAY that the GE foodstuffs will prove to be anything but damaging to the human body.

Well, between you and Prince Charles, I'm convinced.

quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:

Then of course you have the possibility of having meat infected with nasty things like BSE, which comes from feeding livestock things that they shouldn't be fed. In the case of mad cow disease I think it was down to feeding the cattle ground up body parts from scabies (or was it scrapies?) infected sheep.

A question, which may or may not have a hidden point: Exactly how many people ended up catching CJD from eating infected cattle?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in theory we all were, they just don't know any way to find out if we were or not or how long it'll take.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So we're either all going to drop dead in 20 years, or, er, nothing at all will happen?

I think my main "beef" (HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAA) with everyone who stopped eating beef when the Mad Cow thing was going on was that they didn't realise that, if it exists, they'd have caught in during the 10 years previously, and stopping them was just a weensy bit too late to do anything.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a neato Bruce Sterling story ("Sacred Cow") about some Bollywood filmmakers wandering around a Britain where said disease turned out to be way more pervasive than it fortunately appears to be in reality.
quote:
"You work too hard," Bubbles said. "That historical we just did, about the Moon, yaar? That one was stupid crazy, darling. That music boy Smith, from Manchester? He don't even speak English, okay. I can't understand a word he bloody says."

"My dear, that's English. This is England. That is how they speak their native language."

"My foot," Bubbles said. "We have five hundred million to speak English. How many left have they?"

Re: Crazy doomsday luddite talk: Whatever. Manmade ecological alterations have already been killing us for millennia now. (See: Influenza, origins of, or the kinds of diseases hunter-gatherers got compared to the kinds the first settled farmers got. If you want to do away with something that kills lots and lots of people each year, do away with bird and pig domestication. Those things are murderous!) We might as well feed the planet safely while we go.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, hey, fun serendipity: As of today I live very near ground zero for the first case of BSE in the United States.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You live near Rosanne Barr?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
Member # 393

Oh, this is going to be fun.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You live near Rosanne Barr?
Key words: "as of today". B)

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As insane as the PETA leaders are, I'd almost be willing to believe that PETA terrorists introduced mad cow to the United States.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PETA wouldnt do anything to kill the noble Cow.
Only to traumatize little children.
Prahaps we could make a jacket from Belinda Carlisle.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PETA would not kill the noble cow. Or Belinda Carlisle. However, Anna Nicole may have cause for concern.

So as a vegetarian who does wear leather shoes and belts (durability/stink still being a serious issue with synthetics), I think PETA is pretty alright. What you have to understand that while PETA's primary goal is the ethical treatment of all animals, their primary tactic for achieving this is to raise awareness of the issue. Believe it or not they trust that moral people, once they become aware of what is happening, will do something about it. Mostly for now they want for you to think about what you are doing. Right now, on this forum, we're all talking about it. We're all discussing how we feel about the ways in which we use animals and animal products. To some degree their plan has worked.

The goals they are trying to achieve are quite direct and noble. So while their tactics may be absurd and outrageous there is a certain method to it. And so what if they come off as a bunch of lunatics? Because that means more people talking and thinking about the ways in which we treat animals, it's the issue that matters not the organization. You may not agree with their more extreme views, but at least now you're conscious of it.

Without anyone to champion their rights animals silently suffer senseless and impossible violence sheerly for the convenience of a population largely ignorant of this sacrifice. You and I and probably everyone save the most devout vegans play some part in that. PETA wants for you to understand this. They want you to think about this. And hopefully some of you not too arrogant or proud to actually examine your own lifestyle may eventually come to find that with awareness of this cruelty, that there are certain conveniences you can do without. And if that means you stop eating red meat, but still occasionally have fish, or you don't eat any meat but can't let go of that leather jacket, or even if it means you buy a leather jacket instead of the trench you were looking at, well then at least you've done something. You've thought about it and you've made some concession.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

You're seriously suggesting that buying a leather jacket rather than a big trenchcoat is really going to make even the slightest difference, at all?

So, once again, I ask: Why don't you eat animals? Because if it's because of the cruelty aspect, then I'm having a bit of trouble taking you seriously.

"No, I won't eat meat because of how they treat the animals."

"So why are you wearing leather shoes?"

"I don't want my feet to smell."

Point!

--------------------

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, if animals are "humanely" put down is the meat/leather OK?

It's amazing that we have people more concerned about the slaughter of animals than humans.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps