Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » PETA is insane. (Page 6)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: PETA is insane.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam Xumucane:
OTOH if you make that small sacrifice this time because your conscience is bothering you, then perhaps you might be inclined to make a more serious one sacrifice the future...

Well, yeah, but buying a slightly smaller coat is a sacrifice? "Hey, look, Hitler only killed 1000 people on that day, rather than 1005, so really, he was good and great and super. Woo!"

quote:
I just feel (as does PETA) that people ought to know where hamburgers and hot-wings and leather trenches and fur coats come from. Maybe you have no reaction to this information, maybe you do, but if you don't know the whole story how can you make an informed decision?
Oh, yeah, I know. Although I really am refusing to read "Fast Food Nation" in case it puts me off of fast food completely. But, well I dunno. I don't want to be a super pro-meat crazy dude like the sort Simon mentions, but I've had to put up with vegetarians ruining dining experiences on more than one occasion. Plus, seriously, I really can't get the wearing leather thing. I know you admit it's hypocritical, but still...it disgusts you that much to eat meat, but you'll wear it? Sorry, but I just...don't get it.

If it was simply a taste thing, then fair enough. Although I'd probably still shout at you, in the same way that I shout at people who won't try food other than a Big Mac. (And as for the health thing, as has been pointed out, not eating meat is actually quite bad for you, health wise).

quote:
Also I am sorry I thought you were gay when I first came to the board.
I...what? Who?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang on. Snay thought you were gay too, didn't he?

Pattern... emerging!

quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist:
So what does that say about all those animals wearing $400 designer outfits and being toted around in $1,500 Gucci handbags by "people" wearing cosmetics made from animals and having more silicon than the San Fransisco bay area?

Roughly the same things it says about people who put forth that showing concern for animal welfare somehow downplays human suffering.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...it disgusts you that much to eat meat, but you'll wear it?"

Well, this is only hypocritical if the person is refusing meat on the ground of animal cruelty. There aren't any health risks in wearing a leather jacket, that I know of. Except that you might get beat up if it's goofy-looking.

BTW, Liam, if you'd stop looking at naked pictures of Cirroc Lofton, people would stop thinking you're gay.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a scare in Vancouver about arsenic laced turkeys this x-mas. Aparently some animal rights activists said they thawed some turkeysand injected arsenic into them. I'm not sure if it was PETA.

I'm all for seeing an end of animal cruelty and abuse. But some people are just too fucked.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, once they're found, use them as tasters to find the poisoned turkeys. If if they don't get poisoned, you've just forced them to eat a bunch of meat, which still seems a worthwhile punishment.
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Post removed: I'm up too late, and the joke was far too obscure.)

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
BTW, Liam, if you'd stop looking at naked pictures of Cirroc Lofton, people would stop thinking you're gay.

Now now, I haven't done that for many, many months.

Actually, does anyone still have that photo? I lost it long ago. And it might be useful for, er, blackmail purposes. Or something.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, Fast Food Nation is defintely worth reading, even if it just makes you more informed. I suppose there's the potential to put you off anything other than food you've grown or produced yourself, but that'd be an extreme case. I've been to McDonalds since I read it - one time we were at a shopping centre in Brighton and McDonalds was all they had there; another was when I picked Kate up from the hospital with this plaster cast on her nose and she was hungry: chicken McNuggets were about all she could handle. Then there's our local burger joint, Uncle Sam's, which was once one of several in the county but now seems to be the only survivor: it does amazing burgers, but hasn't had any sort of re-decoration in twenty years. If I started to ask myself how it manages to stay afloat and hold its own against the newer McDrive-thru, or the even newer KFC, I'd probably never go there again.

As the above milk-source debate proves, just about everything we eat requires a degree of blissful ignorance on our part; just don't get too ignorant, or let the food-producers dictate what you're ignorant about. That's the lesson I took away from Fast Food Nation.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The book almost put me off mass-processed meat entirely. When I first read Fast Food Nation, I immediately asked my mom if we could please find a local butcher and start shopping there. Of course, then I forgot all about it and no longer care. Funny, that.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Yup. Now all you need to do is do the same thing with the silly religious stuff, and everyone will love you.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

You have a burger place called "Uncle Sam's"?

I'd be tempted to start a burger joint here called "John Bull's", but no-one in the US would get it.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I don't get it.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Uncle Sam
personification of the US

John Bull
personification of the UK

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John Bull stole Churchill's body!

He also looks like he's picking you out of a lineup....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Uncle Sam's. I'll get a picture of it for you.

Oh, and:

http://www.knowhere.co.uk/4465_eatdrink.html

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps