Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Bigger than a mere scandal... (Page 8)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Bigger than a mere scandal...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuck Bush. Fuck his cronies. Fuck the sheep who vote for him, and especially fuck those who think he's "the lesser of two evils." All those people who moan, "Oh, Gore never could've handled the War on Terra'..." Yeah? I bet he could have. I bet he would have made progress, and I bet he wouldn't have to resort to barbaric practices like torture to wage it.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hear Hear! What's more, fuck foulmouth people in their mouth, so that there is more fuck going in than coming out! ^__^

Also, I'd vote for any presidential candidate that had the guts to appear on "Futurama".

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IsThatLegal? has more:

quote:
Much is being said about it in the blogosphere, but I'd just like to harp on two things.

(1) The article reports that Justice Department lawyers reviewed this opinion on specific interrogation practices in or before April of 2003. Deputy Solicitor General Paul Clement told the Supreme Court that the Executive did not engage in "mild torture" or "things of that nature" in April of 2004. We now have further evidence that this was a false representation by DOJ. The memorandum described in the WSJ article carefully parses what does and does not amount to "torture" technically defined -- so when the Justice Department told the Court that DOJ does not engage in "mild" torture "or things of that nature," this was at the very least grossly misleading, and more likely recklessly false. (I say "recklessly" because there's still no reason to think that Clement himself actually knew what he was saying was false. But if he didn't know, he certainly could and should have known.)

(2) How any constitutional lawyer could maintain that the President had the authority to authorize these sorts of practices that (even in the eyes of the administration's own lawyers) skate up to the edge of torture (and in my eyes go far beyond the edge) without some sort of congressional authorization is quite simply beyond me.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two words: Decency Died With Delaney.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's four words.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess the "two words" part only referred to two of them.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, deja vu. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Nim
Member # 205

Oh no! I miscalculated how many words I was gonna use! What an ill turn of events! Jay, you truly are the obscure! Obscurely perceptive, that is!

!!

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Molly Ivins reminds me that when the United States puts out its report on human rights, "we will be a laughingstock."

Here is what the State Department says what we're supposed to be about:

quote:
Because the promotion of human rights is an important national interest, the United States seeks to:

• Hold governments accountable to their obligations under universal human rights norms and international human rights instruments;
  • Promote greater respect for human rights, including freedom from torture, freedom of expression, press freedom, women's rights, children's rights, and the protection of minorities;
  • Promote the rule of law, seek accountability, and change cultures of impunity;
  • Assist efforts to reform and strengthen the institutional capacity of the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights and the UN Commission on Human Rights; and
  • Coordinate human rights activities with important allies, including the EU, and regional organizations.

Ask yourself how that matches up to what Mr. Bush and his administration is doing.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Nim
Member # 205

I'll tell you one thing. The cursed "Landmark Education" is pulling out of Sweden! Almost everyone's on to them and their ways here!
Your move. Make us proud.

[ June 11, 2004, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Nim the Fanciful ]

Nim
Member # 205

Jeff Snayworthy: "Fuck the sheep who vote for him"

Isn't that Lee's area, nowadays?

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What can I say? Lacking any source for easily-assembled Swedish modular furniture, we have to make our own entertainment.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what's the deal with the veneers? I mean, dude, totally make the piece out of wood. None of this poplar covered in birch bullshit.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good cheap lighting though.
Though why they make Japanese looking lanterns is beyond me.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
Member # 205

Ah, a Lee-Magnus-Jason Conglomerate?
OK, you'll get yours, just you wait.

And rice lamps are nice and harmonious. But campy red-glass lamps are in style too, now. A bit 1968.

Ultra beefstew: And here I thought poplar and birch were forms of wood! I gotta go tell my friends, they'll be up in pants over it.

I'll have you know this veneer that I'm writing on rite now has saved my ass a bunch of times.

T-minus 53 days. Seal pup.

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps