Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » New beheadings in Iraq... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: New beheadings in Iraq...
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I saw on the news this morning that the guerilla had, on video, beheaded Eugene Armstrong, with another american and an englishman to come, if the US don't "release iraqi women from their prisons". The US denies that they have any iraqi women in custody.

I'm curious, what is the current US policy on terrorist negotiations these days?
I heard back in some action movie that they don't deal, period. Has that changed these past decades?
The iraqi situation must have presented the US with a lot new situations and factors they haven't encountered before, since Bush don't seem to leave Iraq.

In short, what the hell are they going to do about this???

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly what has been done about all the others. Nothing. If you agree to one set of demands like this then you pretty much have to agree to all of them to avoid looking inconsistant. Also, imagine the reaction if one set of hostages are saved by accepting the demands but a subsequant lot aren't (for whatever reason).

The only thing to do is to provide security so people feel they can't do this sort of thing without being caught and that it'd be more trouble than it's worth to do it in the first place.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown]

I feel sick.

What the fuck possessed me to look-up these videos and then watch them?

I feel so sick.

Those barbarians should be the ones to be killed - what they do is awful! The deaths are not swift - they hack at the throats, cutting through them until the heads come off! [Frown] [Frown]

The only thing to do to prevent these beheadings is for everyone to get the fuck out of there and leave them to sink into the dark ages - it's all they fucking deserve!!!! [Mad] [Mad]

I think that I'ma actually gonna upchuck - stupid curiosity! [Frown] [Frown] Any yes, you may all call me a daft twat for doing what I did - I won't hold it against you - I deserve it. [Frown]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found the clip just now on fucking Homeland Security's homepage. I had to jump through the clip because there was so much arabic dialogue, thinking maybe they didn't show the actual beheading. So the last mouse click on the slider landed me might right in the middle of the hacking. I shut it off immediately, I couldn't bear it.
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would you want to look at something like that?

And, apparently, they've beheaded the other American, too.

--------------------
Meh

akb1979
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Veers:
Why would you want to look at something like that?

That's what I want to know - I can't believe that I did this. I still feel like puking. [Frown] This is just one reason why I am not going to:

a) fly - I never intend to use a plane
b) go outside Europe for my holidays (not outside UK preferably)
c) take a job abroad

quote:
Originally posted by Veers:
And, apparently, they've beheaded the other American, too.

Aww shit! [Eek!] [Frown] That's bad! [Mad] This really has to stop. [Mad]

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which it's not going to until they have something to lose.

And I know you're upset over this, but, please, "taking a job abroad" or "going outside Europe" != "taking a job in or going to a region of the world where you're likely to be kidnapped and beheaded", because all in all, even though there are parts where I really wouldn't want to work or have my holiday either, the Earth's still pretty big.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The only thing to do to prevent these beheadings is for everyone to get the fuck out of there and leave them to sink into the dark ages - it's all they fucking deserve!!!!"

Yep. Because every single Iraqi is a terrorist who beheads people. Uh-huh.

Nim
Member # 205

More and more people start to believe there is nothing more the west can do for Iraq as goes for "building a democracy", at least nothing that couldn't be done by proxy.
These things are seen as symptoms that we are not wanted there, we are as unwelcome as when Richard Lionheart was last in the region. I tend to think of this as GWB's faux-crusade too.

The "good" people that abhor these beheadings and want to grow as a people, they will never take power over the militants because what we saw on that film, that is as far as they are willing to go. Taking a good 90 seconds to carefully and slowly cut the head of a helpless, crying man with a saw-edged breadknife.

I know that the butchers are technically a minority, if one were to do an ethical headcount in that country, but they are the ones with the weapons and conditioned hatred.
Everyone knew the war would boil down to this beforehand, a guerilla war where the small pockets of men and women have the sympathy of most of the people, just like in Vietnam.

The only point I ever saw in the whole affair, to break into Iraq with armies, were the "this is the only language they understand" mindset, referring to Saddam and his cronies. This is not applicable now.
Unless we can send down James Bond to do surgical precision strikes and "pacify" every cell of holy soldiers left, or use that precious Delta Force that was so able in "Blackhawk Down", I don't see how american and european soldiers could stop the kidnappings and executions.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're going to release "Dr Germ" today (supposedly it was arranged weeks ago) nad it's all too convient that a high-profile female prisoner should be released now.

Even if it is a coincidence, it would give Al Zarkawi and his thugs the chance to declare a victory.

I think that rather than "banning" US/British contractors untill things are safer, we should import one thousand more US/UN/British troops for each beheading untill the country is truly safe.

See how popular beheadings are after we REALLY occupy theur country.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
Member # 205

You don't think that's going to legitimize their cause all the more in the eyes of the people? Sure, import more trigger-happy teenagers and unemployed bottom-of-the-barrel soldiers.

Because fewer decent people will enlist now that they've seen all the shit that is going on down there, and all the lack of initiative in the US representatives down there (except for halfassed counter-strikes following a successful guerilla attack).

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the major problems that I've heard about (and is especially relevant to this case) is tht there are CDs going around with pictures of the Abu Ghraib abuses and others of American soldiers abusing Iraqi women. Which doesn't exactly help.

Once again, I have to bring up the subject of the apparent lack of planning for the aftermath of the invasion. The really rather silly decision to disband the Iraqi army and police especially. Mostly this seems to have been motivated by the belief that the Iraqis wanted nothing more than an American invasion, followed by democracy and that the entire population would do what the Coalition authorities said peacefully.

quote:
we should import one thousand more US/UN/British troops
If the UK actually had any troops left, of course. I find it astonishing that The Leader could get us into so many wars during His time in power and yet keep on cutting the forces to the point where they are at or below the minimum necessary to fulfil their obligations.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Nim
Member # 205

Wraith: "If the UK actually had any troops left, of course."

That's what I said. But if you send your hobos, boy scouts and BaE layoffs, I think you'll have enough for a couple more deployments. Don't want to lose face at this point!

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DebkaFile is reporting that they're NOT going to release those prisoners. It seems they have good reasons.

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

akb1979
Member # 557

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"The only thing to do to prevent these beheadings is for everyone to get the fuck out of there and leave them to sink into the dark ages - it's all they fucking deserve!!!!"

Yep. Because every single Iraqi is a terrorist who beheads people. Uh-huh.

Not all at the moment but when they grow up they will be. Shoot/nuke the fucking lot of them! [Mad]

Sorry to be so sinical but that's the view I have - they're all trouble. Oh and don't bother with comments about how shooting all of them would be impossible and nuking them would harm us too - I know. Pity there's not an ideal solution to get rid of them. [Frown]

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps