Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » New beheadings in Iraq... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: New beheadings in Iraq...
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so glad that violence and extremism are genetic disorders that can be eradicated by cleansing the gene pool.

What a prat.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You miss the point, wraith. Check the article. Sorry if I was being vague.
http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2391

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah...
Isn't context wonderful? [Smile]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:

quote:
Maybe one day there will be world peace, but I have a feeling it�s only going to come about once we round up all the extremists and violent people, put them in labor camps, and ultimately dispose of them so we can have a world only populated with a pure race of peace loving folks. We can only hope that day will soon come.
SOUNDS LIKE A MAN OF YOUR METTLE, AKB1979.
Is that an insult or a compliment? [Confused]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
The Pokemon-idiom has failed.

We cant travel from town to town challenging the locals to a fight, defeating them, taking prisoners and locking them into small inhumane cages?

The hell the Pokemon idiom has failed! [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

akb1979
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
really hate having to say this, but that is one of the stupidest posts I have ever seen.

>Takes a bow<

Thank Wraith, I have my moments. I guess that means that I now just up to the high percentiles with you then, doesn't it? [Razz] [Razz]

--------------------

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AKB1979: If your precious USA was invaded and occupied, what would you be doing?

If someone occupied Australia (lets call this country "Evil Country Number 1")....believe me, I'd be doing what the Iraqi's are. Supporting and attempting to blow the living crap out of the soldiers of "Evil Country Number 1" at every opportunity.

And believe me, you'd probably do the same. So - Reality check. The Iraqi's did not come after you. This we know. If you think the invasion was anything but a lie, for political and economic gain, go check yourself in to an asylum. The USA (and unfortunately) the misguided govt's of the UK and Australia invaded Iraq, without provocation or legal authority.

So cut the crap. [Smile]

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somehow I don't think the dean of the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs needed mental counseling when she said the invasion was "illegal but legitimate." Speaking as someone who's taken some cousework in international law, I can say her sentiment was closer in line with prevailing customary international law than a blanket statement that the coalition was without authority.

That said, StrategyPage (one of the more reputable military sources, and not just a generalist news source) says the battle isn't over yet, but the war is winding down from a strategic perspective. Since the URLs on StratgyPage change, let me block quote the article for everyone.

quote:

IRAQ: Al Qaeda Has Lost Its War in Iraq

September 23, 2004: While al Qaeda manages to set off one or more suicide bombs a day in Iraq, it finds itself losing the war it is waging. The bombs are killing mainly Iraqis, and the Iraqis have noticed this. Al Qaeda expects the Iraqi Islamic radicals to benefit from the bombing campaign. But the only Iraqi Islamic radicals that support al Qaeda are the Sunni Arab ones, and these are a minority of the Sunni Arab (20 percent of the population) minority. Moreover, most of the muscle, and money, for anti-government violence comes from Sunni Arab supporters of the Baath Party. Saddam Hussein led the Baath Party for over three decades. While Saddam is locked up, as are most of the senior Baath Party leaders, the thousands of thugs and enforcers that maintained Baath's control over Iraq are still out there. Many of these guys are still doing what they have always done; terrorizing Iraqis into supporting Baath, or at least not opposing it. Baath has cleverly shaped it's message to sound like a patriotic call to "expel foreign invaders." But most Iraqis are not fooled. Opinion polls consistently show that over 80 percent of the population wants nothing to do with Baath. Yet the only alternative to a democratic government is Baath, or a religious dictatorship. Al Qaeda makes itself unpopular by killing hundreds of Iraqis with suicide bombs. Baath makes itself hated with its continued terror campaign, kidnapping and assassinations. The terror tactics of al Qaeda and Baath have succeeded in some other Arab countries, much to the dismay of the locals. Syria is the only other country run by the Baath Party, and it is another Republic of Fear. Iran is dominated by Islamic conservatives, who rule by intimidation and terror. Afghanistan, when ruled by the Islamic conservative Taliban, also suffered under unpopular applications of intimidation and terror.

For centuries, Western democracies have considered the Arabs unable, or incapable of creating a democratic government, or any government that did not depend on terror and intimidation to maintain order. This debate continues, although in a more carefully worded fashion. It's not just the Baath Party and al Qaeda that have a vested interest in seeing democracy fail in Iraq. However, if you talk to a lot of people who deal with Iraqis on a regular basis (military civil affairs, reconstruction workers, troops in general) and Iraqis themselves, you find that while Iraqis still fear Baath and al Qaeda, they still want to try democracy. Iraqis know what goes on in the West. Millions of Iraqis have fled to the West (Europe and North America) in the last two decades, and the migrants have made it clear to the folks back home how democracy works. While Iraqi culture puts more emphasis on believing rumors and outrageous conspiracy theories, you still have to eat. Most Iraqis believe that a government "of the people, by the people and for the people," would be better at putting food on the table, and a DVD player on top of the new TV set, than some Baath Party thug or religious leader.

Al Qaeda will fight on until the last of their members is rounded up by Iraqi police. But al Qaeda have already lost their war in Iraq.

Thought some of you all might like this if it is true (and I pray it is...).

Addendum: Professor Volokh was nice enough to give us a Max Boot Article on the historical context of the losses we've suffered relative to other wars.

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canadian writer Scott Taylor's (New York Times story) account of being held prisoner by some Iraqi mujahedeen.
akb1979
Member # 557

quote:
Originally posted by Daryus Aden:
AKB1979: If your precious USA was invaded and occupied, what would you be doing?

I don't think the USA is precious - don't live there so [Razz]

quote:
If someone occupied Australia (lets call this country "Evil Country Number 1")....believe me, I'd be doing what the Iraqi's are. Supporting and attempting to blow the living crap out of the soldiers of "Evil Country Number 1" at every opportunity.
This I agree with but I wouldn't capture innocent civilians and kill them - that's what I feel so strongly about. A soldier? - legitimate target as he/she's got a weapon that's intended to be used against them (no offence to anyone in the armed forces of any county). That's all I'm pissed about really - innocent civilians being dragged into this & needlessly killed. Yes the soldiers are people too with families, but they chose to be soldiers and go with the invasion and kill other people, so in my eyes that makes them legitimate targets - but I'm not happy about anyone being captured, tortured and killed - it's not nice.

Yes I've come across as a twat on this and I can see why - I type before I fully think out my reasons. I tend to do that on occasion when I feel so strongly about something.

quote:
And believe me, you'd probably do the same. So - Reality check. The Iraqi's did not come after you. This we know. If you think the invasion was anything but a lie, for political and economic gain, go check yourself in to an asylum. The USA (and unfortunately) the misguided govt's of the UK and Australia invaded Iraq, without provocation or legal authority.
Yep, agree with you there - they shouldn't have invaded - biggest mistake they made.

quote:
So cut the crap. [Smile]
What!? [Eek!] But I can't do that! I've got so much of it to give! HEHE! [Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz]

Oh yeah - back to my earlier comment about not being a racist. I really like to think that I am not - that I am fair, but truth be told I've had some really bad experiences with people from what are termed "ethnic minorities". I'm not racist - just bias because of what has been done to me by nasty people who happen to have different coloured skin to mine - some of them have been really cruel to me and my family which does have an affect on my judgement - no one can say that such things don't affect you beacuse they do. They are in the minority though as I have lots of friends and colleagues who are not white and are really nice to be with (I even work for a Muslim and he's OK). So [Razz] to those of you who think that I am racist because I ain't! I just don't like a few people, that's all. [Razz]

--------------------

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah well, if talking crap is just part of your makeup, then we are more alike than I imagined.

You may even make it into the curry order one day if you keep that up.

On a serious note - I don't particularly have a problem with soldiers. (Unless they act like tossers. Which I must say, a number of them do.) In some cases I think they are as much the victims as civillians. I have a problem with the people who give the orders.

akb1979
Member # 557

quote:
Ah well, if talking crap is just part of your makeup, then we are more alike than I imagined.

Really? We are? [Confused] Please, explain further? [Smile]

quote:
You may even make it into the curry order one day if you keep that up..
Huh? Curry order? Whaaat? [Confused]

quote:
On a serious note - I don't particularly have a problem with soldiers. (Unless they act like tossers. Which I must say, a number of them do.)
Yep, agree with you there. [Smile]

quote:
In some cases I think they are as much the victims as civillians.
Yep, agree with you there too. [Smile] [Smile]

quote:
I have a problem with the people who give the orders.
Oh I most definately agree with you there! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'm not racist - just bias because of what has been done to me by nasty people who happen to have different coloured skin to mine - some of them have been really cruel to me and my family which does have an affect on my judgement - no one can say that such things don't affect you beacuse they do."

And if they were being nasty to you because white people had been nasty to them first...?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

And believe me, you'd probably do the same. So - Reality check. So cut the crap. [Smile]

So you'd be bombing civillans from your own country just to spite the new government and kill a few occupying soldiers at random?
You'd undermine the first chance at a democratic government in several generations while destroying the work your own countrymen have made at rebuilding?
You'd support a radical, power-hungry cleric over a chance at democracy?
If so, you're no better than Bin Laden.
Besides, Australlia was never the dictatorship
of saddam's rule: you never had police take whole famalies off to torture and execution without so much as a charge.
Your comparison is nothing close to the same situation and you know it.

Really, you think that the adverage Iraqui wants the US forces to just up and leave?
They want stability and safety as much as democracy- No, they dont like the US presence and dont think US soldiers are doing a good job protecting them from the radical element but to think that they all hate the US nad would support killing of our troops is sadly mistaken.

You should really speak with people that have been (or are) serving over there instead of getting all your views from the news.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

You'd undermine the first chance at a democratic government in several generations while destroying the work your own countrymen have made at rebuilding?
You'd support a radical, power-hungry cleric over a chance at democracy?
If so, you're no better than Bin Laden.

Wow.
Thats amazing, I used to think that only people on FoxNews used to speak like that. Way to absorb.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps