Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Yay.. (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Yay..
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One would think that a gun pointed in your direction would be instantly recognizable as the universal sign for "go away."

Ah, well. If the streets of N.O. were safer because they locked up all the crooks, who would vote Democratic?

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which is precicely why the liberals don't actually do anything about it. If they eliminate crime and homelesness (primarily a problem which they created thirty years ago, anyway), then they have to be judged by their philosophy's merits instead of its intent as now, and if that happens, they know they're toast. (On a side note, they would also not be able to exploit the homeless for political purposes, as they do now.) They talk about the homeless (of which Jesus was NOT one, nor was Joseph unemployed, BTW) all day, but never lift a finger to actually help them. If Hilary really wants to help the homeless, then she should round up thirty or so of them and let them live in a certain unoccupied mansion in Chapaqua(sp) for a while.

------------------
Mephistopheles's Repossessions and Furnace Works
C/O
Mephistopheles, Cain, Brutus, Medici, Torquemada, Richelieu,
Metternich, Tweed, Rasputin & Daley, Attorneys-at-Law
1 Perdition-on-the-Styx Plaza
Dis, The Nether Regions

"A Hell of a Law Firm"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Instead of reading Mr. Limbaugh's "books", I think I'll go ahead and stab these two pens into my eyes, and then drive them into my brain by repeatedly slamming my head into the wall. Not only will it be more pleasant, it's healthier too.

------------------
"I wish that everything went just as I wish everything would go."
--
John Linnell

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK Omega, how were the homeless created??

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

[This message has been edited by Kosh (edited December 15, 1999).]

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not entirely created, but in a large part. I believe it was under the Kennedy admin. when the Democrats forced a (rather stupid, obviously) bill through congress saying that you can't keep the mentally ill in mental hospitals for their own safety, because "it violates their constitutional rights". A good number of these mentally ill have no clue as to how to take care of themselves, and ended up on the streets. If we COULD gather all the mentally ill homeless and put them where they will be taken care of and can't hurt themselves or others, I'd guess we'd eliminate 70 or 80% of homelessness.

If you want an example, take that fire in which six firemen died trying to save homeless people that weren't even there. Those two people had a choice about being homeless. The man's mother offered to let them live in her house until they got on their feet, and they refused. She'd also been trying to get him to get treatment for a mental condition he had, and he still refused. The liberals put these people on the street by kicking them out of hospitals, and now they're attacking Juliani(I know that's spelled wrong, but...) for not putting them in the very hospitals they made illegal.

Sol:

You're not under any obligation to believe anything you read. The only thing you could possibly find painful about it is if you're a liberal, you actually listen to what he says, and you find out that everything you've believed all your life is wrong. If you can find one thing in those books that isn't true or is misleading (except that single-term prediction for Clinton; he was wrong there, unfortunately), let me know.

------------------
C/O
Dis, The Nether Regions

"A Hell of a Law Firm"

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that release of mentally Ill came way after JFK, at least it did around here, late 70's.

Most of the homeless in this area seem to be homeless by choise. Most of the ones I've been in contact with are drunks, rather then mentally ill. My aunt worked in a church that feed people who were both homeless, or just poor.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The guy thought the student was breaking in so shot him. Does that really make it acceptable, and is that really what you want to tell his family?

"Oh sorry I shot your son. I know now that he was innocent, but he could have been an intruder."

Fat lot of good that's gonna do to his family now.

Frank: The vast majority of gun crimes in this country are gang/drug related and the poeple that are killed are the scum who use and supply hard drugs to others. Good riddance to them all. However in the US, it's the innocent like that student who get killed for absolutely no reason. This is why gun control is needed because the lives of the innocent cannot continue to be thrown away like they are.

------------------
The line must be drawn here, this far, no further. Picard, First Contact

The line has to be drawn here, this far and no further. Quark, Dogs of War

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, how do you define innocence?

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Ou tou kratountos h� polis nomizetai" - Creon

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps as in "undeserving of the 'punishment' they unnecessarily received"?

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Omega
Member # 91

Orion:

Look, the kid shouldn't have gotten shot, but taking away the man's gun isn't the solution. What if the kid HAD been trying to break in? Then would you say that he shouldn't have a gun so he can defend himself? If that were the case, he could easily have been hurt or killed. The solution is to ELIMINATE CRIME! That way, the man wouldn't have been afraid for his life, and THEN the kid wouldn't have gotten hurt at all!

Another thing that comes to mind is the story of a liberal journalist (from DC, I believe) who always wrote scathing articles about the NRA, and how guns should be confiscated. One night, he was attacked, and he pulled out a gun and shot the guy. An unregistered gun at that. He then couldn't understand why people thought he was a hypocrite.

------------------
C/O
Dis, The Nether Regions

"A Hell of a Law Firm"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But he didn't do anything at all. Saying 'what if's are useless. What if he was a fucking Alien? What if?

How about I shoot a close relative of yours for no godamn reason, and see if you still think I was justified because he/she may have been a possible intruder sometime down the line?

Saying that he could have been an intruder is like justifying the murder of the Jews in World War II, because they could have been a threat to the Germans, and killed some of them.

And sorry if this makes no sense. I just had my wisdom teeth removed, and I'm still a little loopy.

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

Omega
Member # 91

*reads first part of post*

Now wait just a...

*reads last line*

Oh, that explains it...

Look, I don't mean that one kid in particular, but I'd bet you three bars of latinum that more criminals with violent intent are shot by guns than people who are shot in misunderstandings. If we took away guns from law-abiding citizins, they would have no defence against the violent criminals. The excess number of people that would be harmed by violent criminals would be far greater than those harmed by law-abiding citizins due to misunderstandings, accidents, and shooting sprees combined.

All you really need is to pass (AND enforce) a law that simply said that no one who had been convicted of a violent crime can own or buy a firearm, and that no one under, say, 21 can do the same. Oh, and one that says that you have to do a background check before selling someone a gun. That would eliminate well over 90% of crime involving guns, according to 1/2's stats. And my soon-to-be running mate said, guns are used to prevent crimes 2,000,000 times every year. Thus if law-abiding citizins were not allowed to have guns, it follows that 2,000,000 extra crimes would be commited every year. Why is this so hard to understand? (And I mean that seriously. What problem do you actually have with the logic here? I think it's quite clear, but again, I'm judging my own rationality.)

------------------
C/O
Dis, The Nether Regions

"A Hell of a Law Firm"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm now sorta cleared up, and I can absorb what I read, and I must say that your logic and solution seem to be fine. I think that might solve most (not all, of course) of the problems and/or misunderstandings.

Omega
Member # 91

Boy, that was fast. When they took out my brother's wisdom teeth, he was out like a light for two solid days.

------------------
C/O
Dis, The Nether Regions

"A Hell of a Law Firm"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excuse me? I must apologize for not living up to your expectations towards me. I don't like Limbaugh's books. I don't like his show. It doesn't offend my "liberal sensabilities". It offends me as someone with taste. It offends me as a writer to realize that instead of bothering with this play nonsense I could just babble idiotic drival for a few hundred pages and rake in the cash. If you'll notice, I haven't said one damn thing regarding Mr. Limbaugh's personal viewpoints. I could, if you'd like. How about we start with simplistic childlike exaggerations of real-world concerns? Hardly his burden alone, though. Anyone getting their political viewpoints from talk radio, no matter what wing of the political spectrum, needs to do some serious reevaluation.

------------------
"I wish that everything went just as I wish everything would go."
--
John Linnell

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps