Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Yay.. (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Yay..
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega: The key to remember with gun control is this: you will never be able to keep guns completely out of the hands of criminals. It's just not possible.

Yes, we won't be able to keep guns away from criminals. So are you suggesting by giving every citizen a gun, then the number of gun-related crimes will go down to zero? No, don't believe it. And if you think it will, then forgive me for telling you that you belong in a mental institution. Yes, I agree that it is just not possible for perfect gun control, but I'd take any gun control law which will at least make the statistics drop. I'd take any law which at least helps us feel more secure in our lives. I know that we can't be 100% secure, but with proper gun control, I'd be happy with 99% security.

First of two: I don't believe even one bit of what you're trying to say. I'd dismiss this as more of horribly bad luck then a direct cause of people giving in their guns. And yes, I will agree with OS that it was a pro-gun person who said that. Omega, what do you have to say to that statistic?

My point being is simple: Even with the proliferation of guns is NOT going to make the crime rate go down. Rather it will go up as the proliferation of guns increases the chances of murder each day. You'd have to be out of your mind to think that more guns equals less crime.

Kosh: That's homeless down in the USA. Homeless here means people trying to make ends meet only to find out that the damned government has made rents shoot sky high to unaffordable levels so that they are FORCED to live on the street.

I maintain my view that no person ever chose the street. As for those guys who never showed up for the work day, they were probably to depressed and embarrassed to. Homelessness does that to you.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"So are you suggesting by giving every citizen a gun, then the number of gun-related crimes will go down to zero?"

No, I'm suggesting that allowing every citizin to have a gun (except those convicted of violent crimes, of course; them and kids) will reduce gun crime. There's no way to completely eliminate violence, no matter what you do.

"...I'd take any gun control law which will at least make the statistics drop"

Which is exactly what the laws I suggest will do. The best possible scenario is that in which no criminals have guns. Then law-abiding citizins would see no need to have them, and give them up on their own (well, unless they need to overthrow a tyrranical government, but that's another discussion). But that situation can not exist. It's like communism. It sees things as being far simpler than they really are. Barring that, the best possible scenario is to keep guns out of the hands of as many criminals as possible (and kids, of course), and still allow law-abiding citizins to carry them, so as to defend themselves from those few criminals that could still obtain guns. Exactly what I propose.

------------------
Mephistopheles's Repossessions and Furnace Works
C/O
Mephistopheles, Cain, Brutus, Medici, Torquemada, Richelieu,
Metternich, Tweed, Rasputin & Daley, Attorneys-at-Law
1 Perdition-on-the-Styx Plaza
Dis, The Nether Regions

"A Hell of a Law Firm"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>"but I'd take any gun control law which will at least make the statistics drop."

How unfortunate for you it must be, then, to see the statistics of the crime rate in cities and states where gun ownership is encouraged always drop, while those in totally gun-free (legally, in any sense) cities such as Washington D.C. continue to rise.

>"First of two: I don't believe even one bit of what you're trying to say. I'd dismiss this as more of horribly bad luck then a direct cause of people giving in their guns. And yes, I will agree with OS that it was a pro-gun person who said that."

Of course you'd dismiss it. That's what I expected. No anti-gun person would EVER say such a thing, whether it were true or not, they'd hang themselves first. To be honest, I don't recall exactly where I saw it or who wrote it, except that it was in an article in a wildlife conservation magazine (and we ALL know how far right-wing those conservationists are... *snicker*)

I was simply hoping some Ausralian would be kind enough to actually check the facts of the case before dismissing it entirely.

*makes 'bawk-bawk' chicken noises*

Funny, the gun-grabbers all say guns are directly responsible for crime... except when the statistics show otherwise, when they always start saying "fluke" or "bad luck." There IS no such thing as "luck."

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited December 23, 1999).]

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps