Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » the RAID! (Page 6)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: the RAID!
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Democracy/Republic > Dictatorship"

Prove it.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
This is an audio signature. Download audio

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Monarchy is based on the erroneous belief that one man is smarter than a hundred men. Democracy is based on the equally erroneous belief that a hundred men are smarter than one man. Neither works."

R. A. Hienlien

At least, I think that's how it goes. Close enough.

------------------
"No children have ever meddled with the Republican Party and have lived to tell about it." Sideshow Bob

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Well how stupid of me! Rush is right Of course. That's an excellent reason to blindly listen to him."

Forgive me, Daryus, but that's the stupidist thing I've ever heard you say. How exactly can you "blindly listen" to someone? (And no aural medium jokes, please.) Just because I listen to him doesn't mean I agree with him on everything, for the simple reason that he said it. For example, he's pro-death penalty, whereas I'm not. And you didn't respond to my point that I get info from him that no one else supplies. That alone is a valid reason to listen.

"Oh by the way, I suggest you get out more, try living in the now. Talk to people and attempt to apply these magnificent theories of yours in real life. Then observe the consequences. Take that on as your pet project."

Hey, I'm going into politics, remember?

"Your woefully misconstrued opinions of Cuba are quite humerous indeed. You seem to think it's a vile, pithy hell-hole in which the populace (Those that do not die of typhoid fever) has to eat their own feces in order to survive (That is, of course, if they have the ability to eat, and haven't had their digestive system sold to mercenaries for money to buy nuclear devices in order to bomb the capitalist pig-dogs into submission.)"

Exaguration is such a wonderful thing.

"How do you know that your views on Cuba are correct, and not a result of ignorance?"

You might want to start actually reading what I say before arguing with it. Once again: my statements come from Castro himself, or people who lived in Cuba. I'd say that my sources are quite likely to be accurate.

"all this seems to be hypocritical when we treat Cuba as "hell on earth", but we fail to give China the same treatment."

Gotta agree here. I'd treat China the same way as Cuba. 'Course, I'm not president...

First:

"I own a book that points out numerous time he [Rush] was wrong"

I've read that one. You might be interested to know that most of the "errors" pointed out in said book were either jokes, or because Rush's sources were inaccurate. There were some honest mistakes in there, however. If reduced to the actual errors on Rush's part, it'd be down to a few pages. In twelve years on the radio, one year on TV, two books, and a long-running newsletter, that's pretty darned good. Just so you know...

I'm beginning to really enjoy having you as an ally, First. A person who makes logical arguments, with access to scads of information. What more could I ask for?

Oh, I know. An opponent that's the same way.

Now would anyone care to respond to the points I raised while we were still on topic, or will you conceed the debate?

On Democracy:

"Democracy is good. I say this because other systems are worse."
- Jawaharlal Nehru

"Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time."
- E. B. White

"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people."
- Oscar Wilde

"Democracy is a government where you can say what you think even if you don't think."

"Democracy is a form of government that substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few."
- G. B. Shaw

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canada IS the BEST country in the world.

And I said this with the backing from all the nations from the UN for five straight years.

------------------
Okey, okey, here's my question:

If you are an immortal, do you "rot" simply because of the
nuclear decay of the Carbon-14 particles inside your body?

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*rolls eyes* Don't start THAT again, BlueElectron...

------------------
"No children have ever meddled with the Republican Party and have lived to tell about it." Sideshow Bob

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? Isn't Canada voted to be the best country to live in for five straight years?

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't count me fully in your camp just yet, Omega. I'm STILL certain that Creationism is a load of horse manure.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the US were to declare war on Canada, I think something would be said about which is really the best country...

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the US would do that why?

I think Muffinland is the best place to live.
People...live in muffins!
*looks around, sees that nobody gets obscure reference and leaves*

------------------
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
-Mark Twain

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, actually, the US wouldn't have any reason, unless there was suddenly a moose shortage.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or if we started charging extra tax on geese.
BlueElectron
Member # 281

Think of the headlines for US news when they do invade Canada.

US military advances were countered by heavy resistances from the Canadian RCMPs stationed along the border.

Highly unlikely ^0^

------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since the literal creation story can neither be directly prooven or disprooven, there's not much either of us can do there, First. I can proove that God exists, and that He created the universe, but how and when are completely up for grabs.

But let's not start that again.

So, can we stop the Canada bashing and get back to Elian?

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you know I enjoy giving you a hard time. Thing is, you are sooo serious and absolutely sure you're right, that from my view its hilarious. Oh, and just because you want to become a politician doesn't mean that you have any real link with the woes of those who check in their time sheets every day and struggle to pay off a mortgage.

We could go back to Elian, but I think by now it is obivious just how far apart our orbits are on this issue. You're at the North Pole, we're hovering over the South. I can see us running around in circles yet again.

------------------
"Blind faith is the crutch of fools"

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega, let's assume for a minute that you're right, and we should've kept Elian for the reasons you've mentioned. But because his father is in Cuba, does that mean he'll never see his father again? On another note, numerous Cubans who try to get into the U.S. are deported without so much as a peep from the media because they don't have rich relatives living in Florida. Are they THAT different from Elian? Sure, he's a child, but do adults suffer less than children? Have they not suffered AS children? How many mothers do you know feed themselves before they feed their children? (I know, the same ones who leave babies in locked cars) So if you think we oughtta keep all Cuban children who come here, shouldn't we keep all their parents (i.e. all adults), too? For that matter, if we're supposed to treat China the same way, shouldn't we take in all illegal Chinese immigrants, too? Where do you draw the line?

------------------
"One more day before the storm
At the barricades of freedom!
When our ranks begin to form
Will you take your place with me?"
--Enjolras, "One Day More," Les Miserables

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps