Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » the RAID! (Page 8)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: the RAID!
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But I do wonder. In the case of those slaves you mentioned, your point was that the way of life they were forced to live was horrible, but they had to defend it to defend their homes. I wonder, though, that, if given the choice, any of those slaves would choose to have their children live with them in slavery instead of allowing them to live with someone else in freedom.

Apparently you missed my point. The idea was not to discuss the rightness or wrongness of slavery, rather to point out the fact that there were slaves, members of the Southern social system considered by most whites to be inferior, who took up arms (and in more cases shovels and axes) to protect their home and the cultural environment that they grew up with and lived in. The South was as much their home as it was the slave holders.

If one reads about slavery, one can see how terrible the system was and how de-huminizing it was. However, it is important not to miss the fact that for most slave owners, there was a certain familial feeling for slaves. Many owners considered their slaves to be something of an extened family. Sothern slave holders often pointed to the fact that in the nothern industrial system the factory workers were little more than "wage" slaves themselves. Workers to be used and discarded once their usefullness to the factory was over. They would finish the point be saying that slaves were to be protected and cared for in the waning years of their lives, and not thrown into the street.

As a result, one does not see mass migrations of blacks Northward till several years into a failed reconstrutcion program. Again it was only at the point where former slaves began to understand that the reconstruction movement had been usurped by white power organizations such as the Klan that they began to move away from their homes. In a very real way, after the American Civil War was over, there was great disappointment among blacks in the South that one of the aims of the war was to promote social justice in the region was given over to a quick national reconciliation.

And as to one of the reasons why I posted such a long list comparing the other Caribbean Countries, consider that if our young Hero was from, say Haiti, a "free" country (Haiti is listed as a "repulbic" in the CIA World Factbook 1999), conservative types would have no problem sending him back to live with his father there.

Regardless of the fact that Haiti has higher:
birth rate: 32.55 births compared 12.9
infant mortality rate: 97.64 deaths compared to 7.81

and Haiti has lower:
Life expectancy: 51.65 years compared to 75.78
lower GDP: $2.6 billion compared to $16.5 billion

How about we look at Literacy: definition: age 15 and over can read and write.

Cuba: 95.7%
Mexico: 89.6%
Guatemala: 55.6%
Dominican Republic: 82.1%
El Salvador: 71.5%
Jamaica: 85%
Costa Rica: 94.8%
Panama: 90.8%
Honduras: 72.7%
Haiti: 45%
Nicaragua: 65.7%

------------------
Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whoever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.
~C. Montgomery Burns

And be sure to visit The Field Marshal project http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net/

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a pretty wide definition of "literacy". Do you mean those who can read the numbers on their TV remotes, and write "Jay was here" on toilet walls, or do you mean they could read War & Peace in under 4 hours without getting a nose bleed, and then follow it up by writing a novel that just used words with more than 5 sylablles?

Although, as a glutton for punichment (and because I can't be arsed checking myself) what are the literacy figures for the UK, US, Canada and Australia? Just for comparison.

And I'll have you know that I'm REALLY smarting over missing the "Name on ecountry better than the US" comment. Bugger it to tarnation.

------------------
*Amusing quote not available, please call back later*

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Literacy around the world

US: 97%
UK: 99%
Canada: 97%
Australia: 100% (that's what is says, not counting the Dingos of course)
China: 81.5%
Jordan: 86.6%
Morocco: 43.7%
Papua New Guinea: 72.2%
Russia: 98%
Switzerland: 99%
Turkey: 82.3%
Vietnam: 93.7%
Yemen: 38%
Zimbabwe: 85%

Any more I can do for ya?

------------------
Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whoever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.
~C. Montgomery Burns

And be sure to visit The Field Marshal project http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net/

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited May 02, 2000).]

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can make me some eggs 100% is impossible. Maybe 99.9999999% *L*. Jay, you are not a paitriotic American, you evil person. How can any country have a higher literacy rate (or better anything for that matter - say a public health system) than the US?

------------------
"Blind faith is the crutch of fools"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
**BLEEP! Poo-poo detector activated! BLEEP!**

>"However, it is important not to miss the fact that for most slave owners, there was a certain familial feeling for slaves. Many owners considered their
slaves to be something of an extened family... (extraneous deleted)... saying that slaves were to be protected and cared for in the waning years of their lives, and not thrown into the street."

*chuckle*
And you believe this unquestioningly??
I REALLY need to know what the source of this is.. was it out of some slavery apologist's book, or did you have a civics teacher from the deep south?

Would you sell a member of your extended family 'down the river'? Would you sell a member of your extended family's child to another person for a few bucks?

I mean, of COURSE the slaveowners would say that stuff. Today we call this 'rationalization.'

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has gone on long enough. Shut the hell up already. Talking about it is one thing, but for over a F****** week?????????????

------------------
Well I'm a Bada$$ cowboy living in a cowboy day wicky-wicky-wak yo yo bang bang
me and Artemus Clydefrog go save Selma Hayek from the big metal spider
Wicky-wicky-wak wicky-wicky-wicky-wak
Bada$$ cowboy from the West Si-yiide

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, this board is mostly Americans. We're lucky if ANYTHING can hold our attention for an entire week.

We're even MORE lucky when that thing actually turns out to be something substantial.

You know, generally when someone tells me to stop talking about something, I get suspicious. What are they trying to stop me from thinking about? What is it that they don't want to occur to me?

Not that that's happening here, of course. At least, I hope not.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With all these statistics from a reliable source (not to mention that US and Cuba are like enemy, so I doubt the CIA's going to glorify Cuba's conditions), if you guys still insisted that Cuban are all slave, and they know nothing about it. Or something like living conditions are like hell, well, so be it, there's just nothing more to say.

------------------
Okey, okey, here's my question:

If you are an immortal, do you "rot" simply because of the
nuclear decay of the Carbon-14 particles inside your body?

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Saiyanman, if it bothers you so much, about you just not visit the thread anymore?

There's an idea, instead of just whining.

------------------
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
-Mark Twain

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, once again, we're off track.

OK, anyone responding to my arguments on Elian (I keep wanting to type "Elain")?

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Like I said, it was not my intent to turn this into a thread about slavery, but apparently life and history are a little more complicated than some folks are willing to accept.

Thomas Jefferson wrote:

quote:
Notwithstanding these considerations which must weaken their respect for the laws of property, we find among them numerous instances of the most rigid integrity, and as many as among their better instructed masters, of benevolence, gratitude and unshaken fidelity. The opinion, that they are inferior in the faculties of reason and imagination, must be hazarded with great diffidence.

quote:
There must doubtless be an unhappy influence on the manners of our people produced by the existence of slavery among us. The whole commerce between master and slave is a perpetual exercise of the most boisterous passions, the most unremitting despotism on the one part, and degrading submissions on the other. Our children see this, and learn to imitate it; for man is an imitative animal. This quality is the germ of all education in him. From his cradle to his grave he is learning to do what he sees others do. If a parent could find no motive either in his philanthropy or his self love, for restraining the intemperance of passion towards his slave, it should always be a sufficient one that his child is present. But generally it is not sufficient. The parent storms, the child looks on, catches the lineaments of wrath, puts on the same airs in the circle of smaller slaves, gives a loose to the worst of passions, and thus nursed, educated, and daily exercised in tyranny, cannot but be stamped by it with odious pecularities.

The above letter had the intent to clarify Jefferson's position on race in general, but it also served as a primer for owners on how to treat slaves. In other words the wise owner was a kind owner.

The relationship between owner and slave was intricate, and what I stated about "something" of a familial relationship is true and not apologetic about the system of slavery. Stating that some owners were more kind than others or that some owners subscribed to a form of paternalism in no way diminishes the fact that slavery based on race as it was in the United States was an inherently evil system.

The slave system necessitated that slaves were to do the hard manual labor. Labor that they did not necessarily want to do and labor that someone else benefited from.

It is important to keep in mind the word is still "owner." It is not friend. There were many slave holders who viewed their slaves as simple children or even more correctly as animals to be cared for and fed including the slaves old age. But always, slaves were viewed as property.

I suggest you take a look at the following:

Roll, Jordan, Roll: The World the Slaves Made
by Eugene D. Genovese

The Ruling Race: A History of American Slaveholders
by James Oakes

The Peculiar Institution: Slavery in the Ante-Bellum South
by Kenneth M. Stampp

Reconstruction: America's Unfinished Revolution, 1863-1877
by Eric Foner. Paperback

------------------
~C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited May 03, 2000).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Hey Blue, is this the same CIA that didn't know the Iraqis were invading Kuwait, and were using 10-year-old maps of Belgrade to determine bombing sites?

CIA, SHMEE-I-A.

------------------

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
point to ponder: Fidel Castro's daughter defected to Spain
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps