Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Is It Rape? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Is It Rape?
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The guy who killed my father claimed he didn't have anything to drink for around 3 hours too, although breath analysis showed he was above the legal limit for BAC.

It's virtually impossible to go from drunk to sober in a period that short. Unless you've got a liver made out of rubber or something. It's unfortunate that the only person who ever makes judgements as to wether they're OK to drive, is themselves.

On topic, I've never said "they deserve" what they get. Absolutely not, I abhor any type of sexually related abuse. There aren't many things that are lower than the shitheads who do it.

BUT, when you go out, with a mindest to get so totally wasted that you can't remember your own name, and someone comes along and takes advantage of you, perhaps you don't "deserve" it, but I'm not going to cry you a river because you weren't coherent enough to stop it.

If you don't want to get taken advantage of, minimize the chances of your getting in a position that allows you to do so. And usually, that means mental functioning.

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UM,

Believe it or not, I am very sorry to hear about your father. But despite the driver's claims to the contrary, I'm sure he had been drinking within the three hours he claimed not to -- or had had a lot more to drink than she did Thursday night. Or, most probably, both.

I don't know if I agree with the "rubber liver" theory, either. Alcohol consumed slowly effects a person less than consumed quickly (if I drink a ciderjack in 5 minutes, I'm more fucked up then if I took an hour to drink it).

There are a lot of factors effecting how alcohol effects a person:

The time period it was consumed in -- did they gulp down the beer, or space it out over a longer period of time? Did they eat before hand? (because if "yes", the person will sober up quicker. Yes, frankly, its very possible for someone to go from drunk (assuming she got drunk from 5 beers, in the first place, I know I did, but I only started drinking when I turned 21 so I have a low tolerance to the stuff) to sober in 3 hours.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.5 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
Shop Smart -- Shop "S"-Mart

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as long as you defend it...

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not defending drunk driving.

She wasn't drunk.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, trying to remember, a glass of wine is one unit. I can't remember how many units a pint of beer is, but I think you can have one and a half pints before you are over the limit. I also remember that it takes about two hours to get rid of one pint of beer from your body.

You know, the way you act when drinking is hugely influenced on your situation and mood. I go out drinking with mates, we all have a good time, we go dancing, I get drunk pretty quickly. If I go somewhere that's crap, I get less drunk. I'm in a bad mood, I get less drunk. And at the end of the day, if I'm drunk, I'm with people. Usually several. And I don't go to the sort of clubs where people are likely to be assaulted/raped, anyway (if you're going somewhere new, check it out before hand, when you'll be able to tell if it's a club where fights start over the colour of peoples socks.)

"drunk" can be defined in several ways. When I say "I was drunk", I usually mean "I was hugging people and had an overwhelming urge to do kareoke." But drunk also means "impairment of the senses". You drink when you're not in the mood, you might not feel drunk, but your relexes will still be impaired, along with your judgement.

Which, incidentally, is why I never take my car keys out with me when I'm drinking. (Although my current tactic is better. My car is half-way across Britain. That also works. ).

Oh, and girls (generally) handle alcohol less well than guys. (And they're crap drivers too, but that's another rant ).

You do also realise that there's a world of difference between a guy going to a club to pull, and a girl going to a club to pull, don't you? Sexist, maybe, but a drunk girl in the middle of the dance floor might as well be wearing a t-shirt saying "HEY, BOYS, COME TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ME!".

(And regarding the girl dressing in revealing clothing-expecting to get raped thing, you are right. But they also complain when people stare at them. What do you think's gonna happen when you dress like a slut, hmm?)

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Member # 239

That might not have been exactly what I was referring to.

As for this thread, I'm out of here. I've said what I think, and that was the point. I don't want to engage in another gun control-type thread, so I'll n'er post o'less.

------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A drunk girl is not a call to say take advantage of me. Nor is wearing shorts, nor t-shirts, nor coconut halves over the breasts.

If a woman is passed out or stuporous then there is clearly no consent to give therefore any sexual act performed by any male on said woman can very easily be seen as rape.

Saying that, and all the facts about women being able to drink as they please, it is an unfortunate fact of society that women generally need to, and ususally do, take more precautions than men when drinking or drunk to a stupor.

------------------
Oh, yes, sitting. The great leveler. From the mightiest Pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?
~C. Montgomery Burns

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the way I see it, if someone willingly gives up the ability to refuse, they are consenting. Basically, they're saying "I can get drunk because I have no intention of making use of my ability to say 'no'." If you still want to be able to say "no", don't get drunk.

And I also think that driving after drinking on the grounds that "I think I've waited long enough to be sober" is dispicable, and people who do it ought to be locked away for the safety of the rest of us who aren't dumbfucks.

------------------
"What he did to that walrus gentle-man was inexcusable."
-T. Herman Zweibel on "Mr. Woodrow Wood-pecker", The Onion, 7-Nov-2000

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can take up to two hours to metabolize half an ounce of alcohol.
That rate is affected by the person's weight, how much he/she have eaten, the person's metabolism, and a few other factors. This cannot be sped up by drinking coffee, taking a shower, or any of the other things rumored to speed up the elimination of alcohol from the system.

Also remember that you may be "impaired" by alcohol even though you are not over the legal limit. One or two drinks can easily impair your judgement and your reflexes.
So, at a minimum, each drink may affect your motor abilities for two hours, and you would have to add another two hours for each drink consumed.

About the rape thing, every case is different. There are so many factors that seem to be uncertain, so the best thing she can do is not make the same mistake twice, but the way you describe your "party-habits" it sounds like it's up to YOU to look after the both of you.

Do with that as you may...

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited December 04, 2000).]

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thing is consensual sex must have active consent. Being passed out is passive. Moreover, being passed out, be it from drink or from malaria, one does not give up rights under the law.

------------------
Oh, yes, sitting. The great leveler. From the mightiest Pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?
~C. Montgomery Burns

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If she was raped, then she had sex against her will, right? Now, I'm not an expert in this area of sexual malarky, but isn't having sex when you don't want to a bit, well, sore? If she refused, then apart from bruising where he forced her, shouln't she be sore, er, inside?

Thinking about it, if she said a half=hearted "no", then wrapped her legs around him and started body-bumping, does it still count as rape

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Liam,

Sort of like the woman who was raped, but managed to get the rapist to put on a condom? Rapist got off because she "consented" if he used a condom ...

Re: drinking

Thursday night was a mistake. I got very very very drunk and found nothing wrong with getting in a car with a driver who was probably intoxicated. There's no excuse for it, and trying to defend any line of reasoning for it is unexcusable. I will be much more careful in the future (although, I can still honestly say that I myself have never gotten behind the wheel of for than automobile drunk -- I keep a pillow and blanket in the tailgate for that very reason).

I lost a cousin to a drunk driver, so as much as others might curse me, I think I'm doing a slightly better job at beating myself over the head at the moment.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited December 04, 2000).]

Member # 239

It seems that everyone who finds it appealing to get sloshed, and who have never gotten behind the wheel of a car are so quick to note that 'they have never' this, or 'I'm not stupid' that, or 'Well, even though I've been a passenger with a drunk driver, I'VE never..'

Y'know, not drinking and driving isn't about you. If there was a way for all drunk drivers to kill themselves without hurting others, I'd be all for it.

Not drinking & driving is more a responsibility to the people outside of your little bar, the people walking home across the street, the friends coming home from a movie, or whatever.

It's not about how responsible YOU are, it's about how much the people outside have the right to get home safely.

JeffK: You still got in the car. Your drunkeness as an excuse for 'well, I was so hammered, I didn't see anything wrong with it' is lazy, and absolutely stupid. That's how people die. Because noone knows better, or they blame their wantonness on ignorance. She most likely had her motor skilled reduced. Enough so that it would've been much more likely for an accident to occur than if she was sober.

Wow, so many good reasons to go out and get fucked! Mmmm, where's my beer?

------------------

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well as I have come into this little debate way to late I don't really have much to say. Jeff being intoxicated yourself you are not really in any position to determine if she was still drunk or not. I personally am not impressed with the entire situation I feel that if you are even the slightest bit drunk you should never be behind the wheel period. I'm not trying to get down on you but I have seen the effects of drunk driving up close. Yes I have lost a relative to drunk driving, he made his chose and it cost him his life. Take care to think things through better next time.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, now we're onto drunk driving...hmm my thoughts below.

My thought is, if you go out and get so drunk as to not remember the previous night, you're going to get yourself into some trouble.
As PsyLiam said, if she didn't consent to it, she would almost certainly have felt sore or be bruised. Chances are he was also drunk or at least intoxicated to some point meaning neither was mentally capable of consenting at the time.
I've been drinking before but NEVER drove. Also, I never get myself drunk enough to forget the previous occurences, or to be so impaired I couldn't walk reasonably.
There's a difference between merely drunk and being pissed/plastered/wasted which sounds like what your friend did.

It's good your friend is at peace but the fact you both went drinking then later went isn't any better than what happened before. It's just as dangerous if not more so since you're in a vehicle capable of causing more damage than to just one or two people.

------------------
[6th Sense] I see dumbass people [/6th Sense]

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps