Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Is It Rape? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Is It Rape?
seanr
Member # 277

- posted      Profile for seanr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most I'll do is one or two drinks while shooting pool. I just don't see the sense in destroying brain cells (or causng yourself to lose a pool game).

------------------
Sean Robertson
[email protected]

http://www.webolutionary.com
http://www.mania-online.com
3D Gladiator Premier Forums Member

"Great is the glory for the strife is hard"
- Wordsworth

"Why must I be surrounded by frickin' idiots?"
- Dr Evil

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I suck at pool already, so ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.5 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
Shop Smart -- Shop "S"-Mart

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can we PLEASE not get into another "ooh, people who need to drink to relax are sad and pathetic and my mum says I'm cool" conversations, eh? I am the only Brit here at the moment, and I'll get swarmed by lots of very smug people.

So, guns eh? Tsk, what's up with that?

As a side note, I do go out and drink fairly often, with usually at least one night a week where I might get very drunk, or not, depending on the situation, and I'd never, ever think of driving.

But then, British universities wouldn't be, well, British, if one night of the week didn't feature loads of very drunk students jumping up and down to "Don't Look Back in Anger", or hugging each other all misty-eyed at the end of the evening while "Thankyou for the music plays". Or satnd around in clubs listening to house while screaming "This is bangin'!" at the tops of their voices.

Although I still don't get the fascination Liverpool has with "It's raining men".

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A story from the Times.

quote:
4 Teens Charged in Rape of Unconscious Girl, 16

Courts: The victim, a friend of the alleged assailants, had passed out drinking at party, police say.

By EVELYN LARRUBIA; TIMES STAFF WRITER

Four San Fernando Valley teenagers were charged Wednesday with sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl who had passed out drinking alcohol during a daytime party at a student's home in Van Nuys.

The girl, who police said was a friend of her alleged assailants, was found unconscious Friday in a bedroom, her body covered with bruises, cuts and bites. She had been raped and sodomized by at least six people, witnesses told police. She awoke hours later at a Woodland Hills hospital and said she did not remember what happened.

Nathaniel Sanchez, 18, was charged Wednesday with one felony count of attempted rape of an unconscious person. The Van Nuys man was being held at County Jail in lieu of $55,000 bail. Prosecutors also filed charges of rape and sodomy of an unconscious person against two boys, ages 16 and 17, and are requesting that they be tried as adults. A 14-year-old boy was charged
in Juvenile Court with attempted rape and sodomy.

Authorities would not release the names of the accused juveniles. Police said they all attend Birmingham High School in Van Nuys and belong to the same tagging crew�a group of graffiti vandals.

Police are investigating the roles of three other teenage boys and said more charges might follow. A medical examination of the girl yielded evidence of sexual assault, police said, but identifying attackers through DNA testing could take weeks.

"At least six [sexually assaulted her] but there may be others," said Los Angeles Police Department spokesman Lt. Horace Frank. "Once we continue with the investigation, with the interviews, we will have a better picture in terms of the total number."

Julie Korenstein, a Los Angeles Board of Education member who represents the area, said, "For anyone to affirm their manhood by attacking another human being is so grievous and despicable."

Authorities said about 15 truants, including the girl, started drinking alcohol Friday morning at the house of one of the students. Police said the boy's parents were at work.

"They were all skipping school," Frank said. "They were all friends. She was part of this tagging group."

The girl passed out, and the other students took turns assaulting her, Frank said. Deputy Dist. Attys. Eduards Abele and Alan Yochelson said there is no evidence so far that the girl was given drugs.

Someone at the house found the girl that afternoon in the bedroom and paged one of her friends, Yochelson said. After arriving, the girl's friends took her home when they could not wake her. The girl's father took her to Kaiser Permanente Hospital in Woodland Hills,
Yochelson said.

She was still unconscious when she was admitted at 6 p.m. Friday, hospital officials said. Her body was covered with bite marks, abrasions and bruises, and a medical examination revealed that she had been sexually assaulted, Kaiser spokeswoman Lisa Kort said. Police were called about two hours later.

The next day, the girl was transferred to another hospital, where, prosecutors said, a more extensive rape examination was performed. She was later discharged.

Yochelson said one juvenile, the party host, was arrested Friday but released without being charged. Two other juveniles were arrested Monday but have not been charged. All three boys denied any involvement to police. The party's host said he was with another girl at the time of the alleged attack, Yochelson said.

Proposition 21, passed earlier this year, allows prosecutors to charge juveniles as adults in violent crimes. This case does not qualify because the rape was not by force, Yochelson said. For the minor defendants to be tried as adults, a Juvenile Court judge would have to find them unfit to stand trial as juveniles.

Birmingham High does not allow its students to leave campus during the day, said officials at the Los Angeles Unified School District. Two school police officers are assigned there.

But students at schools across Los Angeles regularly cut class for daytime parties, said Robert Ivey, an assistant watch commander for the district's police department. "When you've got a group of kids who want to ditch school, they're going to. If there aren't adults standing shoulder to shoulder, surrounding the perimeter fences, somebody's going to go over the fence."

Rumors flew Wednesday at Birmingham as students learned of the attack. School officials made no announcements to students or parents. Principal Gerald Kleinman did not return telephone calls seeking comment.

"Just like everybody else, I'm trying to figure out what happened," said Jesten Hayman, 17, a senior.

------------------
Oh, yes, sitting. The great leveler. From the mightiest Pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?
~C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited December 07, 2000).]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I so hope she didn't get pregnant.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ummmm...

There was witnesses to this and they didn't bother to STOP this from happening?

Quatre.

------------------
"Omae o korusu..." - Heero Yuy

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or something worse

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone involved in the attack (aside from the victim, of course) should be messily slain. That is all.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

seanr
Member # 277

- posted      Profile for seanr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let this be a lesson to all teens everywhere as to why you should not go out and get slammed. That is just a damned fool thing to do. No doubt, the defendant's lawyers will claim that they were not accountable for their actions because they were too drunk to understand the consequences or even know what they were doing. I think that is whee the law fails - they still made the decision to get that drunk in the first place, so regardless of their state of mind at the time of the crime, they are still 100% at fault and should receive the stiffest penalty allowable. Their parents should also be severely punished for failing in their responsibility to adequately supevise their children.

------------------
Sean Robertson
[email protected]

http://www.webolutionary.com
http://www.mania-online.com
3D Gladiator Premier Forums Member

"Great is the glory for the strife is hard"
- Wordsworth

"Why must I be surrounded by frickin' idiots?"
- Dr Evil

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True. This has got little or nothing to do with the alcohol. It has got a lot to do with the fact that these are sick people.

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, aside from the fact that had alcohol not been present, this wouldn't have happened.

Seems pretty integral to me.

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had a bit of trouble here in P-Cola along those lines this summer. Seems that Rohypnol - the "Date Rape" drug was making it's way amongst the teens and the younger adult scenes. There was an incident where some teens had used this stuff on their girlfriends and them sexually assaulted them. When it all came out into the open, the teens who had done it was basically given a slap on the hand and told "not to do this again". Which is no great big surprise to me, seeing how the teens involved in all of this came from upper-middle class homes and were all white. Had they been black, I think the penalty would have been WAY much more severe.

Quatre

------------------
"Omae o korusu..." - Heero Yuy

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I agree that the guys who screwed that girl ought to be punished severely, but I don't really have any sympathy for her...

------------------
"I suppose it's possible my mother is a product of my imagination, but that raises more questions than it solves, really."
-Simon Sizer, 4-Dec-2000

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

You get caught with the date rape drug in your POSESSION and you're going to jail up in these parts ... no tolerance for it whatsoever.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GOOD.

**The speech I SHOULD have given in sociology class when the prof tried to justify rape by claiming that men were susceptible to 'enticement.'**

"I don't CARE what the girl was doing. She could be walking past you in a slinky black outfit. She could be passed out on the sofa. She could be up on the goddamned table dancing naked squeezing her boobs together shouting "look at Meeeee!"

It STILL doesn't give you the right to touch her if she doesn't want you to.

If you can't control your primitive mating impulses, you don't DESERVE to be considered human. DIE."

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps