Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Is It Rape? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Is It Rape?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About being so drunk you pass out, the amount required to pass out is very, very close to the amount required to kill you, by damaging the central nervous system.

Therefore, a person that faints from drinking should never be left unattended. They could, among other things, stop breathing.

Now I like to party, but I don't presume to think I have a good judgement after much gulping, so it's good to have safety-nets.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If she believes she consented, let her.

There has not been, from your account, any strong evidence that anybody raped anybody during the incident in question.

The fact that alcohol is in inhibition-remover muddles the question further. We do things whilst 'in our cups' that we wouldn't do normally, including sleep with people we normally wouldn't be interested in. (or in some cases, people who we ARE interested in, who normally wouldn't be interesed in US, sleep with us. It happens. I know.)

When one loses one's memory of the events, it's generally an indication that a whole LOT of alcohol was consumed, with a corresponding decrease in inhibitions. So it's possible that she willingly jumped into be with the guy, and has forgotten it. I know of times when this has happened.

It's also possible that she was taken advantage of. But so far, it's an unsubstantiated claim. Its likelihood depends greatly upon the 'honor' of the man in question. (Frankly, I can't se how somebody who is 'passed out' would be at all an enjoyable partner, but I do understand that there are some people out there so despicable that they'll do anything and take anything they can to get some. Such people should be killed.)

As for drunk driving... I can forgive just about anything... once. Drunk driving is despicable, because everybody KNOWS these things don't go together.
However, I can understand that fuzzy area where you think you're recovered, but you might really not be. I remember coming home from an after-work party where I had imbibed one Long Island Iced Tea two hours before, and felt pretty certain that it had worked its way out of my system. About thirty seconds on the road gave me reason to think possibly it was otherwise, so I pulled over and rested for another hour, at the end of which I really WAS fine.
But anybody caught drunk driving a second time should be pulled out of their car, tied to the bumper, and drug along a stretch of highway until they disintegrate.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking back at this thread, it seems that an awful lot of you have lost someone to drink-driving. I was wondering (sorry if this sounds insensitive, I am just curious), how were they lost? AFAIK, most "drink-driving" deaths in the UK are the drunk people themselves (and everyone else in the car) going off the road and crashing. Very few are a drunk person hitting a pedestrain. And in London at least, the problem is further reduced by the fact that people can't actually drive to the best night spots (the West-end, for example), and so are forced to get trains, buses and taxi's.
Here in Liverpool, come 2 o'clock, and about 9 million taxi's all turn up, ready for the drunk students to come dancing out the clubs. Course, you can still never get in one. Even if you wanted to drive, there'd be nowhere to park your car. Clubs don't tend to have big car parks.

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't, but I know three people who have.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that drunk drivers hitting pedestrians is all that common, really. But they do tend to hit other cars, killing the people in them.

------------------
"I suppose it's possible my mother is a product of my imagination, but that raises more questions than it solves, really."
-Simon Sizer, 4-Dec-2000

seanr
Member # 277

- posted      Profile for seanr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell me what the hell is behind the apparent fascination in modern American society with getting so drunk and stoned that you couldn't find you hand if you hit yourself in the face with it? What IS that? I mean, could there be anything lamer than trying to lose complete control of all your bodily functions?

When the hell are people going to get back to reality?

------------------
Sean Robertson
[email protected]

http://www.webolutionary.com
http://www.mania-online.com
3D Gladiator Premier Forums Member

"Great is the glory for the strife is hard"
- Wordsworth

"Why must I be surrounded by frickin' idiots?"
- Dr Evil

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe reality is the problem?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.5 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
Shop Smart -- Shop "S"-Mart

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite frankly, I don't know what it is, SeanR ... I think its just as stupid.

------------------
"I'm not like George Bush. If he wins or loses, life goes on. I will do anything to win." - Al Gore, Newsweek, 1999

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

I don't understand drinking until you can't move, or pass out.

I DO understand drinking till you're tipsy and silly and laughing your damn fool head off at everything that happens, BUT you have the presence of mind to stop.

Like kids who spin round till they fall over, it's FUN.

I quit because I realized I was liking it a bit TOO much.

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, see, I don't drink often. I really, honestly, don't. Sure, I might go out for a drink with a co-worker or friend a couple of nights a week, but mostly that involves sitting at a bar, nursing something for an hour or so, bitching about life, and work, and the two fucking idiots who want to run the country ...

Now, I used to drink alot, when I first came to Towson U. It's not a party school for nothing (and Playboy rated it #3 for hot babes), and I happen to live at a "Partyplex", so its pretty much a non-stop drinking frenzy here. We actually had some idiot pull out an assault rifle (the news said an AK-47, I kinda doubt that) a few months ago and threaten some kids ... and then the other dumbass who pushed some guy through a sliding-glass door ...

Right.

But I don't drink as much anymore -- Thursday was the first night I've gotten drunk since probably mid-September. Beer adds a lot to the beer gut, and I've been working out for two hours a day three days a week to trim that off, so I try not to add to it all that often

Besides, playing pool while drunk is very fun. Then again, watching Monty Python & The Holy Grail is quite fun as well ...

Of course, there are more serious issues. The U.S., for all its statements that it is not, is a country that accepts drunk drivers ... I'm not saying that it should, because it shouldn't ... but if the U.S. was actually SERIOUS about keeping drunks off the road, neither "Carrie" or I should've been able to walk to the car, much less out of the bar! And yet we did. What does that say about society?

If I were to walk into a crowded shopping mall with an assault rifle tucked under my coat, someone would stop me and say, "excuse me, are you planning on using that assault rifle to kill many people?"

But I walk out of a bar, and no one stops us to say, "pardon me, you two aren't driving are you?"

Of course, with the way some people around here drive, I'm not sure sober drivers are the way to go either.

(I'm not saying this as an excuse for what happened, just that we here in the US* are very good at blaming drunk drivers after tragedies and not at stopping them from getting on the road in the first place...)

* - Maybe things are different in the parts of the US you're from, I really don't know ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.5 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
Shop Smart -- Shop "S"-Mart

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited December 05, 2000).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I think it's pretty lame, but then again that's just me. Well, no, not just lame, but exruciatingly, meaninglessly, pathetically lame. Yeah, it's so cool. But than again, that's just me.

And I mean JUST me. Or so it seems here.

Goddamn hicks.

Plus, I've been kinda turned off of drinking (before I even started) after I lost my Dad.

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited December 05, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, not just you...

------------------
"I suppose it's possible my mother is a product of my imagination, but that raises more questions than it solves, really."
-Simon Sizer, 4-Dec-2000

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I DO understand drinking till you're tipsy and silly and laughing your damn fool head off at everything that happens, BUT you have the presence of mind to stop."

That's about the furtherest I go, then I stop, sober a bit before drinking again.

------------------
[6th Sense] I see dumbass people [/6th Sense]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

If I want to get silly, I just� Oh, wait. I don't do anything. I already am...

:-)

------------------
-Simon Sizer, 4-Dec-2000

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Yeah, that's another one of the things that helped me quit. I realized that I could lower my inhibitions manually, without resort to artificial substances of any kind. All I have to do is let the control slip a little... but not too much. My natural insanity does the rest.

Of course, my drinking days DID reveal to me that I COULD let myself go a little and get away with it. I mean, I used to be the kind of person who froze solid in any social situation. Especially bad around attractive females. I'd HIDE. I was the prototype for the Al Gore 'stiff' routine.

Pat: "Rob, meet Lisa."
Rob's Brain: Lisa is very pretty! FREEZE!
Rob: "Uh, 'lo."
Rob's Brain: END TRANS! END TRANS! CORE DUMP! *Sound of a motor siezing up*
Rob: "Gotta go now, bye."
Lisa: *sigh*
Pat: "D'oh! Okay, Lisa, meet Steve..."

but once I learned to drink in some slight moderation, things began to change. And once I realized THAT, I figured out I could do it without the alcohol, and gave it up, and so...

Pat: "Rob, meet Christine."
Rob's Brain: Whoa! Very pretty!
Rob: *blink* "Goodness, Christine, you're BEAUTIFUL! Pat, what are you doing, inflicting someone like me upon this lovely, kind, intelligent person?"
Pat: "Rob, Christine's a Star trek fan."
Rob: "RE-ally? What series?"
Christine: "Well, I was a big fan of TNG, but I just started watching DS9."
Rob's Brain: Woo-hoo!
*Rob and Christine walk off into the sunset together, carring on a conversation. Tune in next time to see who nudges whom awake*

Of course, this is only a simulation using one conversational criterion. Although similar incidents did occur, I didn't meet up with a compatible Star Trek Femme until just over three years ago.

------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps