Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Omega's Questions (Page 4)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Omega's Questions
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JeffK: I believe that Omega said at one point (long before you started posting) that Guns that are only designed to kill people like Tek-9 and the like should be banned.

I'm trying to sit on both sides of the fence here. Canada's new Gun Control Law is to come to effect Jan 1 of the new year, and already there are people who are intending to make a statement by not getting a firearms licence.

A firearms license I believe should be a must for anyone wanting to purchase a gun. I don't believe that there is anything wrong with getting a license, IMHO. As for registration, I'll have no further part in that conversation.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

DEAvendetta
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for the double post. I'm not used to the page splitting thing.

[This message has been edited by DEAvendetta (edited December 13, 2000).]

IP: Logged
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, weapons that have no conceivable purpose for self-defence I can't really defend. I mean, that's like privately owned nuclear weapons. Not only are they useless for self defence, but they render all OTHER forms of self defence useless.

------------------
"You know, you--you let a wolf save your life, they make you pay and pay and pay..."
- Fraser, "due South"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A home-nuke? Hell, even _I_ couldn't justify that... unless you believe in the Phyrric victory, or that someday you might be holding off a batallion by your lonesome.

Or a planet-killer shows up.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, dammit, what am I going to do with this big plutonium device then? Shiiiit ...

Now what is it with liberals and letting criminals win? "If someone breaks into your house, you should make your family jump out the window until he leaves" "Just let him HAVE the money. Don't take any precautions that he won't kill you when he's done"

Gotta love the National Rifle Association, Omega.

Okay, here's what I don't get about being burglarized: a thief breaks in. You hear him, wake up, you get your gun. You call the police. If he comes near your bedroom or those of your children, then, yeah, I could see (or at least understand) your motivation in confronting him and possibly using deadly force. If he's just taking your TV out the front door (and leaving your family alone otherwise) why would you confront him? Let the police handle it. Are you really willing to kill someone over a TV set that could be easily replaced?

It's not about not taking precautions if you want to, its about letting the police do their jobs and not taking matters into your own hands. Certain people on this board seem to take life cheaply, including talking about shooting a mugger in the back when he's walking away after having robbed them. I couldn't take a life for a handful of money, and I certainly couldn't contemplate doing it unless I knew for certain my family was in danger. If the guy is in the living room ripping off my TV and EASILY REPLACED stuff, why entertain that possibility? Let the police do their jobs.

As to the idea that a criminal is somehow MORE likely to attack and kill a visibly armed person than an unarmed one ... I'd have to swallow a lot of orange pills before I'd believe THAT concept was remotely logical. TV may teach you that, but TV is full of crap, too.

I don't believe I ever said that.

You're apparently skipping over the fact that in Maryland, only police officers may carry a "visible" weapon. Military servicemen (and women) may carry concealed weapons with a permit. No one else may. Therefore, I couldn't carry a visible weapon, now could I?

of the more than 2 million times that the display or use of firearms is successful in preventing and/or stopping crimes each year

I've still yet to see that report. Omega posted a link once, which said that reports DRAWN from the UCR came to that conclusion, but that government reports (therefore, the FBI) themselves only put that number at 80,000.

I'm happy your brother wasn't robbed or worse.

Come on folks, don't you think if I thought I needed to carry a gun, I'd be doing so? Or at least bitching about not being able to do so? "Those Republicans have some backwards ideas, except when it comes to guns..." The biggest problem I have when it comes to delivery is the dumb-shits who think I like it when they give me a quarter as a tip and tell me not to spend it all in one place.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.5 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
Shop Smart -- Shop "S"-Mart

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited December 13, 2000).]

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If he comes near your bedroom or those of your children, then, yeah, I could see (or at least understand) your motivation in confronting him and possibly using deadly force."

And how do you suggest I do this, if I don't have a gun? And what if the criminal does? Frankly, I'd rather confront the criminal while he's occupied from across the room, instead of as he's entering my child's room from four feet. How 'bout you?

"Certain people on this board seem to take life cheaply, including talking about shooting a mugger in the back when he's walking away after having robbed them."

Who says anything about killing someone? Usually pointing a gun at someone is enough to get them to do what you want. You know, like wait for the police to show up?

------------------
"You know, you--you let a wolf save your life, they make you pay and pay and pay..."
- Fraser, "due South"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have defended my home from intruders, luck had it that I only had a butcher knife to do so with. I moved in to my sisters old place, and a friend of her's got drunk, and decided to take her up on the standing offer to stumble the few blocks there instead of driving. It almost cost him his life, if I hadn't recognized his voice he would have died that night.
Did this bother me? Nope, shit I am an Army trained infantryman. He's just lucky I only had a knife to defend my home with, for a shooting weapon may have made one hell of a mess.
This has been the one and only time when I had needed to 'defend' my home in 20 years, and wouldn't have happened if my sis had informed people that she was moving.

The saying that if you face off with an armed criminal they are more likely to kill you is usually right. Anybody planing on doing any kind of activity like that will always take out the biggest threat first, gun, knife, bat, then any agitated person.

------------------
Well, it's done, yes, the deed is done.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And how do you suggest I do this, if I don't have a gun? And what if the criminal does? Frankly, I'd rather confront the criminal while he's occupied from across the room, instead of as he's entering my child's room from four fleet. How 'bout you?

I doubt you'll have a family of your own to defend before you turn 21, Omega, unless you've changed your mind about purchasing a firearm?

Frankly, I'd rather get my kid into my room and let the police handle it. Let's say you surprise the robber, who happens to be just a bit quicker than you expected, and he puts one into you. Now, you're dead, your kid is without a father, but hey, don't worry -- the cops'll still get the guy.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Omega
Member # 91

Do you know ANYTHING about guns? You can't surprise someone, and them just turn around and shoot you dead-on faster than you can pull a trigger. It just doesn't work that way. You seem to go out of your way to come up with impossible situations, just to excuse not confronting threats.

And I would point out that you did not answer my question. As usual.

"Frankly, I'd rather get my kid into my room and let the police handle it."

And if the robber comes into your room? How fast do you think the police can get there? Fast enough to keep the robber from killing you and your family? Are you really willing to take that risk? If so, you don't deserve to have a family.

If given a choice between confronting and neutralizing a threat with a minor risk to your person, or cowering in your room hoping the police will make the bad man go away before he can kill you, would you honestly choose the second?

------------------
- Fraser, "due South"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

[rant]
Fuck you Omega. If you don't know what that is for, fuck you again.

The guy walks into the room, yes, I'd take action. I wouldn't go hunting him down in the house. He could hear me coming and wait in ambush or any one of possible situations. He could have a partner with him, and while I cover him with my gun, his buddy shoots me. Did none of those occur to you?

Kindly explain why, as the gun-owner I'm sure you'll someday be, you wouldn't be content to stand guard at your kids door, only engaging the robber when he came into close physical proximety, hoping that the cops hurry up or the robber gets out of the house, because you don't want to explain to your children why daddy killed someone, or having their mother explain to them why daddy isn't around anymore because he got himself killed.

Not you Omega! Give you a gun, hell, you'd take down Fidel Castro by himself! No mission is too dangerous for OMEGA MAN, armed with a Smitty-nine-Milly, he'll do any job, at any risk! His own kids are upstairs, and he doesn't give a rat's ass to stay near them and reassure them with his presence, no! He has to run downstairs and pull his gun on the baddies and pretend he's got a big cock!

This is what I would do if someone broke into my house in the future.

a) Call the police. "Yes, there's a robber in my house, my wife and children are here, and I think he might be armed".

b) Get my children into my room, lock door.

c) Grab a sword ... maybe the Glock, if I've still got it.

d) Wait for police to arrive. Take action if robbers approach the room.

I'm not going to risk my life over material pocessions. I think it was First who said that he would kill someone for trying to rob him, even if it was just over "slips of paper." I couldn't do that. I couldn't even imagine the circumstances under which I could take the life of another human being.

[/rant]

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Omega
Member # 91

"He could hear me coming and wait in ambush"

Setting up an ambush in unfamiliar territory is an... interesting proposition, Jeff. Besides, robbers tend to run AWAY from danger. Otherwise, we'd have a lot more burglaries-turned-hostage situations when the cops show up.

"He could have a partner with him"

Quick, Rob. Statistics on how many burglars work in pairs.

You know, maybe I should put you in charge of the federal archives...

As for the rest of your "argument," Jeff, we've been through this before. First posted statistics proving you wrong. I've got almost no chance of the burgler shooting me because I confronted him.

"He has to run downstairs and pull his gun on the baddies and pretend he's got a big cock!"

Pretend?

------------------
- Fraser, "due South"

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*goes on other side of fence*

Not all robbers act the way you think, Omega. JeffK is siding on the idea of caution. His moral? NEVER underestimate a criminal.

Frankly, I'd be doing the same thing. My material possessions are not worth the possibility of risking my life. I do not believe that my wielding a gun will "scare" criminals away. I'd be foolish to carry this kind of "invulnerability complex".

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited December 14, 2000).]

Saltah'na
Member # 33

dammit, double post.

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited December 14, 2000).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree. Omega doesn't need to pretend. He is a big cock.

*rim shot*

I do agree with Jeff about one thing. I can't imagine ever taking someone's life, no matter the situation. Can you think what it would be like explaining to your 5 year old kid why you've just killed someone?

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Omega
Member # 91

If it was to keep him from hurting my kid? Yeah, I can.

I think you'd all be surprised at what you'd be capable of if lives were at stake.

------------------
- Fraser, "due South"

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps