Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Omega's Questions (Page 6)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Omega's Questions
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For JeffK:

The first two rules are:

1. ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded. Even if you just emptied the thing. Treat them as such. (Basically, this means that if you always treat a gun as if it were loaded, even when you know it isn't, you'll never have an accident with one.)

2. Never point a gun at something you do not intend to KILL. (Closely related to rule 3)

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

DEAvendetta
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
PsyLiam said...

I'm genuinely shocked. Do you really believe that?

Well of course I do. If someone is intoxicated, entering my house, refuse to identify themselves, then in fact grab me in an opposing manner... *bang*

You don't really expect me to wait for an unidentified stranger in my house to get close enough to impale me with a knife do you? The room would have to be sufficiently lit, and even if I could see a weapon, I would probably just go for a leg, or other non-lethal area to incompasatate them.

That's a little expanded of First's rule number two, but I think its a sufficient policy.

I plan on teaching my oldest girl about guns in the next year. Not only respect for it, but general rules they will always abide by besides stay away from them at all costs, as is all they know now.

I have two handguns, one stays in my vehicle unless the children are in it alone, the other is above a desk in my kitchen out of reach, and certainly off limits.

------------------
This thing that we've made is fat and feeds on the hate of the millions that it's taught to sing its song...
DEAverification :P

IP: Logged
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish Omega-san would get around to answering the questions I posed in my last post. But I guess ignoring the point is a more effective debating strategy?

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm. I suppose so.

And what do you mean, he "loose" control? That's not until you've been shot dead because you had one beer too many and vomited on some schmuck who drew his gun and shoots you in the chest, and then your bladders are loose because you're dead.

Yes, I know that's a run-on, shaddup!

SELF-DEFENSE

1. Defense of oneself when physically attacked
2. Defense of what belongs to oneself, as one's works or reputation
3. LAW. The right to protect oneself against violence or threatened violence with whatever force or means are reasonably necessary.

Now, the 3rd definition is what interests me, because it is the legal definition. Kindly explain to me how shooting a drunk is using means reasonable necessary?
------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.5 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
Shop Smart -- Shop "S"-Mart

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited December 16, 2000).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Now if some intoxicated student tries to climb me while I'm armed..."

I was just refering to this statement, which I found to be a delightfully unique example of word usage. But, as I am an unthinking monster opposed to God himself, I really meant that I think everyone should be rounded up into work camps and forced to worship Satan.

------------------
I have been floated to this spot this hour
On a series of events
I cannot explain
--
Olivia Tremor Control
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Read, read, read, read, read me now.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not respond, Daryus, because you had already drawn a conclusion, which I deemed you unlikely to be willing to change. However...

Your conclusion is based on your evaluation of my character and personality. These are things you know nothing of. I was, in fact, rather surprised that you, of all people, would post something so lacking in basis. How can you evaluate how I'd act in a high-pressure situation, when you have no idea how my mind works?

I thus judged your post to be pointless, and ignored it.

Satisfied?

------------------
"You know, you--you let a wolf save your life, they make you pay and pay and pay..."
- Fraser, "due South"

[This message has been edited by Omega (edited December 16, 2000).]

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope. The point of the post being, that in a situation such as that, pretty much nothing in your past experience can prepare you for it.

------------------

- DT.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Actually, I think the question is very relevent. I wonder why you're avoiding it?

Look, we've all got pictures in our minds about how we'll act in a certain situation. I'm sure in this case, you picture yourself walking down the stairs, bringing up your shotgun, and blowing them dammed intruders away while laughing "hasta la vista, baby!"

Well, maybe not. But the point is, you've got a picture of yourself defending your home.

Cool and suave, I stepped to the entrance to my living room and cocked my Glock. The criminal freezed in mid-motion, and I saw his hand drop to the gun tucked into his waistband. "Don't do it," I warned, my voice cold and steady. He didn't heed my warning, and I placed three perfectly centered shots into his upper chest, dropping him to the floor. "Oh, darling!" my wife said, kissing me on the cheek and dragging me into the bedroom...

Okay, again, maybe not. But you've got the idea, right? I'm sure you've got an idea how you'd act. Same as First, JeffR, and everyone else in here does for a similar occurance.

But what Daryus is saying is that "real life" doesn't happen like we expect it too.

I mean, it's sorta like ... sex. I always had this "image" of what I'd be like the first time I had sex. You know, how I'd act, how I'd make her squeal with pleasure ... and it didn't happen that way at all. It was great, but I was very nervous (okay, totally scared out of my mind), and suffice to say, nothing of how I thought I'd act happened how I'd imagine it happening.

And that's sex, nothing to do with being prepared to shoot someone. I mean, at least in the above case, worse comes to worse, we'd both still be alive afterwards.

Thats what Daryus is saying. Until you're in the situation, you can't predict how you'd react in the situation. Unless maybe you're in the military or ex-military ... then, maybe, but mostly because you'd've had quite a bit of training in tactics and thinking under less than ideal conditions.

Do you disagree with that as well?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited December 17, 2000).]

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

Listen to da Jeff. He talk good.

So anyway, answer the question.

------------------

- DT.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Oh, Liam,

I think Sol was asking if you were a tree. Or a mountain. Or something. I mean, if not, why would a drunk college student be trying to climb you?

Except of course for the obvious sexual technique

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got that. And I didn't say that either, I was quoting DEA (just to clear up, incase anyone here thinks I'd shoot drunk people. Jeez, if I did that, Liverpool's population would be cut in half overnight.)

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL

Yes, but I am now curious...do people climb you on a regular basis for sex?

Mount Liam and all that.

Mind you not that I really want to know.
------------------
Oh, yes, sitting. The great leveler. From the mightiest Pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?
~C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited December 17, 2000).]

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

Yes, he does appear to be something of a titan of titilation.

------------------

- DT.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, Liam didn't say that.

------------------
I have been floated to this spot this hour
On a series of events
I cannot explain
--
Olivia Tremor Control
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Read, read, read, read, read me now.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, when you've got it, flaunt it. Just not in the dining hall. It upsets people. (Not the girls obviously. They love it. The dirty bitches.)

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps