Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Omega's Questions (Page 7)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Omega's Questions
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aren't they just?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.5 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
Shop Smart -- Shop "S"-Mart

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are? Hmm, where do you live again?

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scally-land. Where it's cool to tuck your tracksuit bottoms (or "trackies") into your socks. Oh, and for the girls, white socks with strappy shoes and a skirt is a must have this season.

Yes, all the fashionable people come to Liverpool. And leave again, rather quickly.

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, I'll be tucking my pants into my socks!

------------------

- DT.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daryus: My handy "Scouse" to "Yank" translater.

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

Well you don't want to upset them. Look at the animal rage in their eyes. Every Commonwealth zoo should have a pair.

------------------

- DT.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, just because I don't like giving JK even the thinnest excuse for avoiding questions, exactly which question did you want me to answer, Daryus?

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega,

I think you what question we want an answer to. Stop stalling.

Er, I for one would also like to invite anyone who carries or wants to carry a handgun to answer the question as well.

Ah, well, I'll type it here. You might also want to refer to my post from 17 December for some more info on what Daryus is talking about ...

A question for Omega. Ever been in a critical situation? You know, where you are really in danger?

Felt the blood run through you, knees turn weak, focus go off, senses reach out, doubt & fear flood you? Obviously not. So, until you have been there, stop spouting all this crap about 'yeeha, I'd just go down there and bust all their asses!'.

When you are in a life threatening situation, no matter what training you have had, or what weapons you carry, you'll realize how immaterial all this squablling and posturing is. You have a split second to make a decision that could end a life, one way or the other. Now, any kind of martial training helps keep you focused, and some experience with weapons is invaluable, but you, I would guess lack any experience with high pressure situations and I'd bet a months wages that your stomach would turn to jelly and you'd want mamma to come cover ytou up the first time you're really shite scared of being killed. Theres' nothing shameful in that, but just make sure you can seperate your realistic reactions from your fantasies about being the all conquiering hero who takes out the baddie.

These situations are fluid, and never what you expect. Your reactions are always half as good as they should have been, upon reflection. Keep that in mind.

And I've got a question to add.

Okay, ya'll most vocal that if someone breaks into your house and rips you off, he's going to kill you, rape and kill your wife, and sodomize your children before he kills them too, 'cuz lordy, he can't leave any witnesses around!

Aren't you only witnesses if you (I dunno) witness the thing? Why is he going to go out of his way to kill you if all he wants is the big 30" TV in your living room? The cops would put more effort into finding someone who killed a bunch of people then just someone who stole your (replaceable) Television -- yes?

I mean, I'm just asking here. Maybe you didn't know that witnesses had to see the thing going on, or that most criminals wouldn't want to kill someone because that would means the cops would be after them more than before?

Just curious.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Come the millennium, month 12,
In the home of greatest power,
The village idiot will come forth
To be acclaimed the leader
--Nostradamus, 1555
"It's important for us to explain to our nation that life is important. It's not only life of babies, but it's life of children living in, you know, the dark dungeons of the Internet." - George W. Bush, 24 Oct 2000

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited December 22, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited December 22, 2000).]

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do combat infantrymen qualify to answer your question???

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Anyone can answer the question!!!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
--Nostradamus, 1555
"Mr. Vice President, in all due respect, it is - I'm not sure 80 percent of the people get the death tax. I know this: 100 percent will get it if I'm the president." - George W. Bush

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have been in critical situations like the idea above. Up until then I had had a 'romantic' view of war and death (I guess I can thank Hollywood for that), but it was far different than that. I did react the way my training had taught me to.
So I can judge my reaction to situations of several types, this being one of them. But you get it pummeled in to your skull for as long as I did and you too can do this.... Yipeeee!!!!.....

Michigan is passing a bill on that will make it easier for people to get a CCW Permit. I am still trying to decide if that will be a good thing or not. After I think about it a bit more I'll let you know how I feel about it.

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I'd bet that military training'll prepare you for just about anything!

To reiterate my feelings, I don't think I'd want to live in a state where the citizens need to carry a gun to feel safe. Just my two cents.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
--Nostradamus, 1555 (Allegedly)
"Mr. Vice President, in all due respect, it is - I'm not sure 80 percent of the people get the death tax. I know this: 100 percent will get it if I'm the president." - George W. Bush

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ritten:

"Michigan is passing a bill on that will make it easier for people to get a CCW Permit. I am still trying to decide if that will be a good thing or not."

How could it be a bad thing? Anyone who's going to break the law with a gun isn't going to care about something so minor as a CCW. Thus, the law would only make it easier for a law-abiding citizen to defend himself and those around him.

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Omega, as a counter point to this, I have a delivery driver that suffers from road rage bad, he, at this time, does not have a CCWP.
He has no criminal record.
The biggest racist I've had the displeasure of meeting since I was in the Army.
He has tried running down black people with his van, thank God not the company van, that I know of.
(Then again, I could fire him then....)
He is qualified to get a CCWP.
He has created himself a miserable family life.

Now, what happens if you, or one of our Canadian friends is here in Port Huron. Your driving along and come to one of our plentiful construction zones and you merge over, cutting him off. He would follow you to where ever you want, but not tailgating you, he's not an idiot. He is a careful sneaky person.
He's now armed with his .45 semi-automatic pistol, which he is legally able to carry concealed. He approaches your car, that big smile and easy going stride of his wouldn't catch your attention, after all your not paraniod.
He's been known to bash in someones face for something like that. What would he do armed?
If he was having a bad day he would, in my opinion, shoot you.

I don't know if he carries a shooting weapon in his van now or not, I will not ride with him anymore, twice was enough, but if that law comes along that makes it easier for him to carry legally he will.

Now, you will say you will be ready with your weapon, just incase. I doubt it, unless you are a paranoid person, then you would be the one I would be worried about. If I came up, unarmed, and started calling you a stupid motherfucking piece of shit driver that can't read road signs you might fear that I might cause you bodily harm, which my records show I wouldn't do, and I get shot for expressing my opinion.

Ever hear the whip-crack of a near miss by a chunk of lead flying past you. That kind of thing is what makes you bowels and bile turn in to a nice watery excrement that just leaks from your body.

Thank you Omega, this little bit here that I've typed has persuaded me to pray that they keep the existing law for CCWPs. Between bigots and paranoids I am fearful that Michigan easing restrictions will be a nightmare. I am for those that need one being able to get one, a business man for his trips to the bank, the security guards on the job, and the such, but to giv them out like candy seems a more dismal idea be the minute.

Yes, I always think worst case senario.

------------------

Omega
Member # 91

If this man in your employ has really done the things you've described, why is he not in prison? Trying to run people down, and bashing people's faces in? These ARE crimes where you live, aren't they?

Firing him is also recommended, if possible. Just do it anonymously.

But again, if he's willing to run someone over with a car, which is obviously illegal, what makes you think he's not ALREADY carrying a gun in his vehicle? He obviously doesn't care about the law.

Making something against the law doesn't prevent criminals from doing it. It just gives the police one more charge against them in court.

"if that law comes along that makes it easier for him to carry legally he will."

See, here's my point. Why is it being illegal to carry a weapon making it hard for him to do so in the first place? Are there regular police sweeps of his vehicle? It's all psychological.

Law has two main effects.

1) Prevent law-abiding people from doing something, because law-abiding people don't break the law, by definition.

2) Give the police another charge against arrested criminals.

I can not say this enough: A criminal is not, repeat, NOT going to care about the law. This is by definition. Therefore, making it harder by law for a law-abiding citizen to carry or obtain or own a weapon is not going to have ANY effect on the criminal.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Now enforcing EXISTING law more effectively will prevent criminals from breaking it, because they'll be in jail. How to do that is another topic altogether.

Let's use the analogy of drugs.

It doesn't matter if you outlaw drug use. Some people are going to do it anyway, because they lack a basic respect for the law. Sure, you can make it incredibly hard for people who aren't going to use drugs anyway to use them, but that's not going to affect the drug-users, because they're going through illegal channels in the first place. You shut down those channels to stop the crime.

The law-abiding citizens aren't the problem. If they were, laws would fix everything.

Yes, you do have a point in that occasionally, a law-abiding citizen will snap and shoot someone. But I have the point that the number of lives SAVED by law-abiding citizens far outweighs that.

------------------
-Thomas Jefferson

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps