Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Never one to miss the opportunity... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Never one to miss the opportunity...
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, this sounds a whole lot like Joe Lieberman. Didn't hear you complaining then.

Again, his views are irrelevant. His job is to enforce the law, and he'll do that job. If he doesn't, we'll have him removed. Simple as that.

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't see anyone posting quotes then did ya Sparky?

As if your evasive point really changes anything I said.

------------------
"We're just going to have a lot of work. ... Redefining the role of the United States from enablers to keep the peace to enablers to keep the peace from peacekeepers is going to be an assignment."
~ George W. Bush, Deer-In-The-Headlights of the United States

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited January 24, 2001).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny... I had thought the 'W'-key thing was a joke...

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most did too save for the curmudgeon who dwells amongst us.

------------------
"We're just going to have a lot of work. ... Redefining the role of the United States from enablers to keep the peace to enablers to keep the peace from peacekeepers is going to be an assignment."
~ George W. Bush, Deer-In-The-Headlights of the United States

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that this sort of practical joke stuff went on before whenever a new administration takes over.

But...

Let me say this one little thing before I get off my rented soap-box. Freedom of Speech does not mean "Freedom to say whatever the hell you want and screw you if you don't like it!". I can't run into a theater and yell "FIRE" without some form of consequences. If you act and speak responsibly, then, no problem. But if you say something that does cause harm and you KNOW it causes harm, then you had better hire a really good law firm to take care of it because you are liable to be SUED past the topsoil and into the planetary mantle.

The whole argument of censorship is tricky enough as it is. Yes, if you don't want your kids reading crap on the 'net then I think those filters should be available to those who want them. But do I think the government should hoist them off on us wholesale? No. Another thing, parents should take a more pro-active role in what their kids do. Do your job as the parent and keep your kids from things you might find objectionalble but do NOT expect the rest of the planet and government to do your job for you. And if you don't trust your kid, well, fix it where only you can turn on the computer, whatever... It's simply only common sense that needs to be reinforced. Not some silly, uninforceable decency law.

*end rant*

------------------
"Omae o korusu..." - Heero Yuy

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, of COURSE it was a knee-jerk overreaction.
Can't a guy pretend to be a liberal for a day without everybody going nuts?

You'll note I never said they should go to jail. I said they should be punished. If you think punishment = jail, you're pretty daft. And you've never read the adventures of the mighty Frank Castle.

Re: Trashing of the First Amendment: Two words, 4 letters.
Tipper Gore, PMRC.

So bite me, fanboy.

------------------
"My knowledge and experience far exceeds your own, by, oh, about a BILLION times!" -- Q

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Tipper Gore and that whole AC/DC = Satan deal sucks my canned crack cocaine.

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Except that all what T. Gore did was require labels to put a little sticker on the album that says "mature content" ... so all the little kids can buy the latest album which uses the word "fuck" thirty times. It doesn't require the artists to limit the words they use. Hardly the same thing.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd think some artists who do use the word "fuck" every other second would get the point that people are just soooooooo tired of them being so vulgar. I mean really, you CAN be witty without saying "fuck" all the time. Just look at Vogon or UM or Liam. They're fucking geniuses.

Oh fuck, look at the time. Gotta fucking go!

(Yes, this is a parody)

------------------
"Omae o korusu..." - Heero Yuy

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, that's NOT what Tipper wanted. THAT was the watered down compromise that we were lucky enough to end up with, possibly after somebody was smart enough to point out that a lot of Country songs have objectionable lyrics and content, and that Tipper's husband was a Tennessee senator, and shouldn't upset the powers down in Nashville.

Tipper wanted a lot broader bunch of labels, including "O" for "Occult," (which presumably would incluse anything remotely religiously themed that wasn't blatantly Gospel Christian -- Everything from Marilyn Manson to Creed to Enya and Loreena McKennitt, for Chrissake)

And much more restrictions than we actually ended up with.

Anybody remember the Dead Kennedys? It's hard to find their albums anymore, and that's largely because of the PMRC's influence. Fortunately, I know a Jello Biafra fan.

------------------
"My knowledge and experience far exceeds your own, by, oh, about a BILLION times!" -- Q

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, anything which restricts country music is good in my book. That stuff is worse than gansta' rap! (Er ... except for select Faith Hill and Shania Twain songs) ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"OK! We'll allow the niggers and the chinks...but WE DON'T WANT THE IRISH!!!"

Seriously,m this is the same clash as on the internet. Nazi's or no nazi's? Anarchists? Godless heathens? Instigators? Plain guys from Montana? I tell you it will never end!
The only weapon I've got is N*PST*R (trademark) [url removed] that allows me to get a hold of any song without any big brother deciding it for me!! VIVA LA REVOLU�ION!!!! And now for a lucious, green apple!

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never one to miss the opportunity, eh?
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To say Chink?

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't, oh, I dunno, a rating system whereby children aren't allowed to purchase CD's with "objectionable content" be beter? The movie industry does it (crazy, I know), and it kind of works. In the sense that film makers often take some of the realy heavy stuff out to avoid getting higher ratings, since lower ratings = more potential purchasers = more money.

I just think it's strange that you have to be 15 to buy South Park: Bigger, longer and uncut, but anyone can purchase the soundtrack.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps