Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Ohio Burning (Page 14)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Ohio Burning
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A huge difference, in fact, but facts are so boring and hyperbolic screeds are so readily available.

Screed may not be a word, but it should be.

------------------
OH NO< THE OLD MAN WALKS HIS GREEN DOG THAT SHOTS PINBALLS!~!!!
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LazyPsy: It was me, and I was not trying to excuse slavery by making it sound contained and not widespread. The current amount of worldwide slavery is totally unacceptable, as is exploiting children.

When you said "american standards" I just reacted since more than the US is slave free. But perhaps you meant that they think of the US as the standard that others should be compared to and aspire for?

I'm just trying to be clear on this, no intended yankbashing.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
News flash, Jeff: your opinion does not equate to fact.

I'm sorry if you don't see the difference of being imprisoned because of a crime you committed as opposed to becoming property because of the color of your skin.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason people are placed in jail is because they have violated the law. Most people who take their time to violate the law are fully aware they are doing it and know the consequences. These consequences include the abridgement of a person's rights, if it is so deemed neccessary. In some states and some cases, the abridgement of ALL a person's rights, including that of life, is held neccessary as punishment.

A slave, in the sense of which we are speaking is "a human being who is owned as PROPERTY by another and is absolutely subject to his/her/their will." People in jail are NOT the "property" of the state. They are in confinement as punishment for a crime. If they are forced to do hard labor as part of their sentence, then so be it, their rights have been taken away because of the repercussions of their own actions.

**(Please understand, I do realize some people are wrongly incarcerated, but IMO, the majority are not.)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"When you said "american standards" I just reacted since more than the US is slave free. But perhaps you meant that they think of the US as the standard that others should be compared to and aspire for?"

Oh lord no. I only said that because I thought people might pick me up and say that there are other countries in the world that don't have a problem with it. And I said American standards because this argument seems to be more about how the US treated slaves than how other countries did.

JeffK: Making blanket statements doesn't contribute to the conversation and helps no-one. You'd have a go if Omega did it.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's amazing, isn't it? I make an outrageous statement to say "What you said leads logically to this conclusion. This conclusion is silly.". Then, everyone starts acting like the silly conclusion is actually my opinion. Is everyone here just flame-happy, or what? They don't care what the excuse is, as long as they get to argue w/ someone.

I'll make my point as clear as I possibly can. If you still don't understand it afterward, I can't help you. I guess you'll just have to sit back and wait for brain transplant surgery to become feasible.

Jeff said "Slavery in any way, shape, or form is unnacceptable.". I'm pointing out that imprisonment is slavery. This can't be argued, really. By definition, it's true. However, I don't think Jeff or anyone else here will claim that imprisonment as punishment for crimes should be wholly stopped this instant. Therefore, slavery is acceptable in this particular way/shape/form. Thus, my point is that Jeff's original statement was false.

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disagree that someone in jail is a slave. It's not a type of slavery at all. It's imprisonment. Look at Daniel's post, he says it quite well.

Essentially, someone who goes to jail goes through the due process of law. Arrest, trial by jury, a lawyer ...

Very few slaves (if any) got the same advantages.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps